8600GT $99 @ egg - feel the warmth

burnin8r

[H]ard|Gawd
Newegg has Leadtek 8600GTs for $99, another $5.xx for shipping ($50 instant savings). Its not going to eat 8800s for breakfast or clean your room, but it is what it is... a dx10 card for under a hundred beans. Looks like it doesnt stray from the reference design, core does not appear to be overclocked and neither does the memory @ 1400MHz. Package includes S video cable and dvi to vga converter, not much else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122024

edit: I have replaced the text regarding clock speeds, as I stated below... my original post cited the memory clock speed of the "extreme" version which is not on sale for $99. The incorrect memory clock speed (2000MHz) is listed for all 4 Leadtek 8600 cards on Newegg.

actually, 1400MHz was the reference speed.

I saw another card that was 1300MHz and assumed that because it was lowest it had to be the standard, but that one was actually slower. The Leadtek is 600MHz over the reference.

edit: I was looking at the Nvidia site and they quote 700MHz as the default memory speed but I think that would be for DDR2.

All the DDR3 cards are running at 1400MHz or greater (with the exception mentioned above).

Pretty good deal, but I'll pass. No HDCP support. I need to pick up an 8600gt for my HTPC.

It took me about 2 1/2 - 3 months going through leadtek to get my SECOND bad card from them RMAd (6800GT), absolutely horrible service (somewhat of a language barrier since they are no longer located in the US). They respect your warranty, thats not the problem, it just takes a long time to get everything taken care of.

Which is why I will boycott them till the day I die :) lol sorry not trying to "crash" this thread, but If customer service/warranty/RMA is important to you id suggest go with someone else.

If customer service/warranty/RMA is important to you id suggest go with someone else.

yeah, that you have to pay extra for... this is strictly 8600gt for cheap. if it blows up, good luck.

Just for clarification, I did some digging and on the Leadtek site they list the memory speed at 1450,

Newegg may be misquoting with the GTS extreme version timing for all 4 Leadtek 8600 cards.

sorry for being noob and lazy but how does a 8600gt stack up against a 7900gt?

sorry for being noob and lazy but how does a 8600gt stack up against a 7900gt?

should be slower in the current games like bf2 and what nots but performs around the same in games that are newer like oblivion and stalker and supreme commander.

lol the 7800gt prob beats this card in dx9 apps, basically a 7900gs with slower clocks

It took me about 2 1/2 - 3 months going through leadtek to get my SECOND bad card from them RMAd (6800GT), absolutely horrible service (somewhat of a language barrier since they are no longer located in the US). They respect your warranty, thats not the problem, it just takes a long time to get everything taken care of.

Which is why I will boycott them till the day I die :) lol sorry not trying to "crash" this thread, but If customer service/warranty/RMA is important to you id suggest go with someone else.

For that very reason I believe that this EVGA card would be a better deal. $15 rebate but same proce after the rebate. It would be worth the extra hassle of the $15 rebate (at least to me) for the peace of mind on the warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

I dont think the one the OP posted is 2000mhz. Wierd people in reviews seem to be saying they are ocing it to 1xxx.

the product description states 1400mhz, and people who've bought the card stated it was 1400mhz. the 2000mhz is a misprint.

2 q's:
1) How is this thing in SLI?
2) How good are the linux-64/freebsd-64 drivers?

Seems like a great deal if you need a cheap videocard but....I've got a 7950GT Superclock and won't be fooled (again :eek: ) by Nvidia's numbering game...bigger isn't always better.:D

Nevermind about that.
There are some 7800GTX's on evga's Bstock for the same price : )

I bit. I needed a decent card for my father's computer. He just has a big monitor and doesn't play games.

Back