8000 series speculation thread.

Yeah I see what you were saying. I was referring to the 7970 Ghz Edition which came out after the 600 Series dropped. The 600 Series initially pulled ahead when it dropped, then the 7970 Ghz Edition came out to even things out and driver support had increased performance for AMD parts.

Nvidia improves as much or more than AMD with drivers overall. Your information is not completely wrong, but you seem to think that Nvidia was there and AMD just pulled ahead, but that's not true. It was back and forth multiple times.

and still is...

i believe the last nvidia performance driver put it back in the lead over the 7970ghz...

Nvidia improves as much or more than AMD with drivers overall. Your information is not completely wrong, but you seem to think that Nvidia was there and AMD just pulled ahead, but that's not true. It was back and forth multiple times.

I was clarifying my original statement based off the response whereas Digital Viper-X- was using drivers as an example of why my statement was incorrect because I didn't specify I was referencing Day 1 specs. This includes original hardware specs, drivers, and testing methodology's. Those are what I was referencing when I said people see Nvidia dropping two generations better than AMD since many buyers only pay attention to the Day 1 reviews and don't think twice about how future drivers will dramatically improve their card in the long run.

Digital Viper-X- mentioned how AMD's drivers and the 7970 Ghz Edition have put them back neck and neck in some cases with Nvidia's 600 Series. I was saying how that was besides my point as it would be competing with the GTX 780 at this point and even at the $400 price range the GTX 770 is still a better deal at $400.

I think it all got lost in translation as what I'm trying to say in the end is we need the AMD 8000 Series bombshell dropped ASAP. :p

Q3 of this year? How much longer do I need to hold on? My two 5850s aren't cutting it as well in eyefinity... :(

Q3 of this year? How much longer do I need to hold on? My two 5850s aren't cutting it as well in eyefinity... :(
To be honest, it was only rumored, plus the picture of said card was leaked from 4chan (of all places).

AMD probably won't release their new gpus till later this year/early next year, with the 9000 series.

Waiting for AMD's offerings before choosing between a 770 and whatever AMD is pitting against it. This 6870 will then go into crossfire for the other rig to remain gaming-relevant.

I hope they don't disappoint.

didn't amd say they were sticking to their current arch for the near future?

didn't amd say they were sticking to their current arch for the near future?

Current arch as in GCN? Yes, GCN is not going anywhere for a few years I would think. Hawaii is GCN 2.0, what's next will be GCN 3.0... and those are all the same arch.

so just scaling it up with more stream processors and the like, yeah how will that generate 30% improvements?

they should go balls to the wall and blow nvidia out of the water

I need the new ATI card so bad. Nvidia drivers are shit if you are trying to span 3 monitors that were not made on the same day within seconds of each other under a blood moon by a mystic that just slaughtered a fatted calf. But sadly, a single 7970 can't handle 75x16 resolution, and MWO doesn't yet support crossfire so QQ.

My question is more " when will we see driver support that incorporates the Microstutter fix?"

I'm much more interested in firmware that will better take advantage of the hardware we have now. Right now I can't justify spending money on two 7950s, and one isn't a big enough improvement.

My question is more " when will we see driver support that incorporates the Microstutter fix?"

I'm much more interested in firmware that will better take advantage of the hardware we have now. Right now I can't justify spending money on two 7950s, and one isn't a big enough improvement.

July, maybe? Last I heard, they mentioned that driver was supposed to be released in the summer (rumored).

Have you personally seen micro-stutter on 79xx cards?

Have you personally seen micro-stutter on 79xx cards?

I'm a PC technician specializing in gaming and enthusiast machines. I've built hundreds of SLI and CFX systems. Do you REALLY want to start the 'Microstutter is just a myth!' conspiracy talk with me? Because I can definately talk back.

In case that wasn't obvious enough: YES I HAVE.

Its not an issue of weather it exists, but how widespread it really is.

Based on my experience (i build enthusiast machines as well, and am active in a dozen AMD forums), its a lot less common than popular belief which is why AMD ignored it for so long.

The vocal minority finally got heard, so they are now addressing it.

Based on my experience (i build enthusiast machines as well, and am active in a dozen AMD forums), its a lot less common than popular belief which is why AMD ignored it for so long.

I see it more on a game-to-game basis, once again on a machine-to-machine basis. One machine will run Sleeping Dogs just fine on two 7950s, another will have stutters like crazy. Yet both of them run Unigine fine. It also has nothing to do with hardware configuration, as I could have two identical machines running identical software and one exhibits tge issue and the other does not. The randomness of it all is what is frustrating.

The new test programs helped also.

I'm a PC technician specializing in gaming and enthusiast machines. I've built hundreds of SLI and CFX systems. Do you REALLY want to start the 'Microstutter is just a myth!' conspiracy talk with me? Because I can definately talk back.

In case that wasn't obvious enough: YES I HAVE.

I just asked a simple question.
A simple answer would be fine with me.

Back