• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$800 pc build still running xp :\

Did you have a question that you were going to ask, or just wanted to tell us all what you just bought?
 
I wanted to see what people think of it. If I should change anything or what not.....


and if all the parts will work well with xp. Even though that sounds kind of stupid.....
 
I recommend you get these components instead:
CPU: Intel E8400 - $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill $45 DDR2-1066 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006
HD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

Total savings compared to your build: $86
 
I wouldn't scrimp on the PSU, stick with the 650W you have posted.

The EA430 would not be "scrimping" on a PSU. That system will probably not even reach 300W of power draw while under full load. Since this is a budget build, there's no need to unnecessarily spend more money on a PSU with significantly more power capacity than is needed.
 
why would anyone spend $40+ on a 180gb hdd these days? Even I ran out of space on my old 250gb drive and I hardly download anything
 
Nothing wrong with XP, a lot of people still use and prefer it over Vista. Go with whatever OS you are most comfortable with.
 
I recommend you get these components instead:
CPU: Intel E8400 - $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill $45 DDR2-1066 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006
HD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

Total savings compared to your build: $86

Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't 4gigs of ram be pointless since I am running xp 32bit???





definitely going to change to this case. Still debating going up to the 1gb video card. Might as well
 
Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't 4gigs of ram be pointless since I am running xp 32bit???
You'll still be able to use around 2.5GB to 3GB of RAM of that 4GB. 2.5GB to 3GB of RAM is more than enough for most users and RAM is cheap these days.
 
How do you know how much you can use (memory)?

Mine says 3.25GB of RAM and underneath it says Physical Address Extension

I have the EP45-DS3L with 4GB of ram and a 512MB videocard in it
 
How do you know how much you can use (memory)?

Mine say 3.25GB of RAM and underneath it says Physical Address Extension

I have the EP45-DS3L with 4GB of ram and a 512MB videocard in it

Educated guessing pretty much. Usually 3.5GB of RAM is the max readable and usable RAM with most 32bit OSes. Then subtract the video card RAM from that usable amount if that video RAM exceeds 512MB.

However, I had the GA-965P-DS3 had 4GB of RAM and a 8800GT 512MB and XP reported 3GB of RAM. Though when I had the 7900GS 256MB, it reported 3.5GB of RAM.
 
This looks like my new build thanks to you guys. ( I think I am going to keep the psu so when I change to windows 7. Hopefully it comes out in october *crosses fingers*)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 $164.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R $119.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) $44.99

ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $249.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM $74.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W $99.99

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX $89.99


NEW total: $844.93 before s&h

with $75 mail in rebates....
 
Buy the UD3R and the E8400 from the combo link below to save an additional $15:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.155178

Thanks for the AWESOME find. Now I just have to wait for my tax return to come in to buy this build..

I will finally have a desktop after 2 years lol. Have been using my macbook pro for that time, but I want to get back into gaming....

Thanks for all the advice and keep adding opinions and/or ideas I will check this 12 times a day.. haha
 
If your going with the setup above, Your gonna love it, even more if your gonna do some decent overclocking. :cool:
 
I think I wiil pick up that combo too. Could someone suggest a video card in the 100 to 125 dollar range.
 
You should be able to find a 4850 512mb for about $120 if you shop around a lot (the egg had them for 114 AR a while ago) otherwise the 4830 512mb is a great card and is more typically found in that range and is a great card. I just got a sapphire 4830 from the egg for $84 AR:)
 
I went with the asus 4830. With the rebates this comes in at just under 400.00 bucks.
 
One more question guys. Whats the best cpu cooler or this setup?

Depends on your budget. General rule of thumb is that the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is the best out there, and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and OCZ Vendetta 2 aren't far behind and are significantly less expensive as well.
 
I cant wait to get my hands on this setup.I ve been waiting a long time to upgrade. My 3850 agp blew up this weekend so I figured it was time. Im stepping up from amd 3800 single core to this setup. the 3dmark6 score with the x1650pro I replaced the 3850 with was 1800!
 
I wouldn't scrimp on the PSU, stick with the 650W you have posted.

The EA430 would not be "scrimping" on a PSU. That system will probably not even reach 300W of power draw while under full load. Since this is a budget build, there's no need to unnecessarily spend more money on a PSU with significantly more power capacity than is needed.

The 430W is fine.

So many people using 700W PSUs for a rig that will never pull more than half that.
 
Sunbeamtech Core Contact rated the best here with the Xigmatek 2nd the Thermalright behind it:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
FrostyTech does not actually use CPUs in their testing, so their numbers are sometimes off. For example, they have the original Thermalright Ultra-120 listed as better than the Ultra-120 Extreme, which is obviously not accurate. I wouldn't trust their ratings too much.
 
check amazon for power supplies. corsair 650 for $77 and free shipping http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-650w-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B000X24ISU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232941229&sr=8-2 i just bought a pc power & cooling silencer 750w for $65 from amazon. they definately have some nice deals. you have to actually click on the items to see the after rebate prices.

corsair modular 520w for $94 http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Ready-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B000I54FFS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232941409&sr=8-8 modular is very nice if you're trying to do some nice cable management. my pcp&c isn't modular and i have wires stashed everywhere.

here's a pretty decent case to consider for fairly cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Go with the WD6401AALS instead of the AAKS!!! Its faster and only a couple dollars more.
 
Back
Top