800 or 1066?

I'm setting up a LGA775 system for a friend and am looking for memory for it. Unfortunately DDR2 is on it's way out and is more expensive than it was just a short time ago... But that's another story.

The board claims to support 1066 memory speed through a chipset OC. So what I'm wondering is if it's worth the extra $10 or so to get the 1066? The cpu is a Q9300, so I'm figuring the extra bandwith could help things out since there are 4 cores going. But who knows.

Suggestions? Thanks! :D

G45 actually - I suppose that would have been a good thing to mention previously now that I think about it.

You won't notice a difference in real-world applications but it may provide more headroom in terms of overclocking. If the kit doesn't require a substantially higher voltage and the difference in price is only ~$10, I would get the 1066.

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be a big difference. Was figuring only a 1-2% if even increase in FPS. But as you pointed out, $10 for some extra OC headroom is nice.

Wish I had gotten 1066 instead of 800 back when I had my e6300 as the memory was what was holding back my OC.

Agreed with PC User, get the 1066 for $10 more. If nothing else, in the future it will have better resale value if you ever decide to sell.

Back