• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$800 Gaming Build

DarkKiller

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
26
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

100% gaming, WoW, GW2, SC2, Latest FPS, stuff like that.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$800ish 900 max.

3) Where do you live?

Stockton, Ca. About an hour from Sacramento.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Case, psu, processor, motherboard, ram, hard drive, and graphics card.


5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Mouse, Keyboard, and monitor.


6) Will you be overclocking?

Will consider it if it will help get more bang for buck.


7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23 1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

Might possible go crossfire/SLI, but most likely a single card. Unless i can get a better deal from sli.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

I own a legit license for win 7 64.

Also on a side note, I will probably wait a week or so to buy a graphics card to see how the prices come down. But I would like to get the core system together before then.

I was thinking something along the lines of this.

CPU/mobo combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.519523
HD/PSU combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.526778
G.Skil 4g ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253
Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058
dvd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

$715 after shipping and tax, should leave a decent amount for a graphics card.
 
Last edited:
you may want consider the fact that your setup will cost 50% more than an AMD setup as but not provide a reciprocate increase in performance. I am not an AMD fanboy I just believe in the biggest bang for the buck. GL don't forget to post picks.
 
Well, it is actually a build for my cousin but he would not care if it is amd or intel, and neither do I really. I was thinking maybe if i dropped down to an AMD build i could grab an SSD and throw it in there, or even a higher end graphics card.
 
If you can go with what will allow a ssd. AMD and ssd will be way better than Intel IMHO.

I wish I would of seen the Gskill 120GB for 198 shipped.
 
Are there any good amd/mobo combo alternatives?
Also, can anyone recommend a good ssd within the budget? I am not too familiar with the ssd market.
 
Are there any good amd/mobo combo alternatives?
Also, can anyone recommend a good ssd within the budget? I am not too familiar with the ssd market.

$260 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard Combo

Or the combo deal that hossdaddy linked to earlier.

SSD wise, hold off on that as well. Intel is releasing newer, faster, and cheaper SSDs later this year.
 
Sweet, thanks for the info. I will go the amd rout and have him order the stuff tonight. I'll get some pics up asap. Thanks for all the help, appreciate it.
 
Back
Top