80 GB SSD running out of space

FXDawg

Gawd
Okay, I have an 80GB SSD and I'm struggling to keep just 4 GB free at this point. other than buying a new SSD and Reinstalling some of the programs on it, does anyone have any suggestions?

The sig for the rig specs.

Thanks

Have you run a program like treesize to find out what is eating up the space? often things like windows update leave a lot of crap behind that is cleaned up.Have you run a program like treesize to find out what is eating up the space? often things like windows update leave a lot of crap behind that is cleaned up.

If you really need more space the quickest and least disruptive soloution would be to buy a larger SSD and image it across (direct sequential copying from SSD to SSD should be very fast) but this is a relatively expensive fix (though you could probablly sell your old SSD to defray some of the cost).

You could also enable NTFS compression on some less commonly used folders. IIRC windows disk cleanup even had a "compress old files" option which would make automatically compress anything not used for a given time.

Move personal data, multimedia, etc... files to your non-SSD drive.

yea I only installed the operating system and my modeling software on this drive which originally left me 20GB. And I try to keep everything else on the 750GB drive.

Have you run a program like treesize to find out what is eating up the space? often things like windows update leave a lot of crap behind that is cleaned up.Have you run a program like treesize to find out what is eating up the space? often things like windows update leave a lot of crap behind that is cleaned up.

If you really need more space the quickest and least disruptive soloution would be to buy a larger SSD and image it across (direct sequential copying from SSD to SSD should be very fast) but this is a relatively expensive fix (though you could probablly sell your old SSD to defray some of the cost).

You could also enable NTFS compression on some less commonly used folders. IIRC windows disk cleanup even had a "compress old files" option which would make automatically compress anything not used for a given time.

No but I'm about too! I may have to bite the bullet on this one...

just curious, but which modeling software? how much space is this sw taking up? 40GB?

heh, instead of buying a larger SSD, i'd grab another 80GB and RAID0 them. :p just remember to do a backup image of your array often. ;)

Have you enabled compression? 25-35% average space gain with virtually no loss of perceived performance.

Just curious, but does your OS create "virtual memory" on an SSD like it does with a HDD?

just curious, but which modeling software? how much space is this sw taking up? 40GB?

heh, instead of buying a larger SSD, i'd grab another 80GB and RAID0 them. :p just remember to do a backup image of your array often. ;)

I run Autodesk software, Revit, AutoCAD MEP and NavisWorks

Oh the software eats up about 60GB with the OS

HM...raid ...tell me more...raid 5? How much would I get out of 2 80GB drives?

Well I recently setup a home server and it is now doing automatic backups. Does that count?. Also I try to keep all my files on the 750GB HDD.

Have you enabled compression? 25-35% average space gain with virtually no loss of perceived performance.

I have not done this...25-30% sounds like just what I need until the stupid SSDs come down a little in price! You sure about the performance?

Thanks guys!

I
HM...raid ...tell me more...raid 5? How much would I get out of 2 80GB drives?

RAID 5 needs a minimum of 3 drives. So two 80GB drives will not be enough. However RAID 0 requires a minimum of two drives. Two 80GB drives in RAID 0 would be 160GB of storage.
Well I recently setup a home server and it is now doing automatic backups. Does that count?. Also I try to keep all my files on the 750GB HDD.

That kind of counts

If you don't use it, you can disable hibernate and delete the file...that saves however much system memory you have, in disk space. I never use mine, no point. I did this when I installed.

Did you redirect your various user folders to the HDD? Temp files, downloads, etc can eat up some space if you didn't.

If you don't use it, you can disable hibernate and delete the file...that saves however much system memory you have, in disk space. I never use mine, no point. I did this when I installed.

Did you redirect your various user folders to the HDD? Temp files, downloads, etc can eat up some space if you didn't.

I didn't, I do manually monitor the downloads folder and save all my user files to the HDD. I have all other programs installed to the HDD as well. I'm afraid 20 GB left over after the initial install just isn't enough, I bet windows updating is enough to start eating away at that space pretty quickly.

So, what do we think is the better option...2 drives in raid 0 or a larger capacity drive?

i like the raid 0 option myself. i would run a program called ccleaner. that can help delete alot of temporary files.....folders then are not longer in use or needed.

i would search your c drive again make sure there isent more stuff that can be moved over to external drive.

ccleaner can check your registry too.

I have not done this...25-30% sounds like just what I need until the stupid SSDs come down a little in price! You sure about the performance?

Thanks guys!

Yeah man for sure :cool: I do it. I actually noticed a speed increase, even when I was using a single drive at the time. Probably due to freeing up that extra space giving some breathing room. You could always change it back if you don't like it.

So buy a bigger SSD harddrive?

You've got what, 15k worth of software you are using on that machine, and you are wasting your time managing disk space rather than just coughing up a few hundred bucks for a new drive?

I agree with Danny on the single large drive. Especially with a just workstation OS. You can make one large image backup when you get everything setup. Then have software do quick background automated nightly update backups of only the files that have been changed. Even if not a NAS, any external or separate HDD drive will do. You'll be blazin :D

okay, so should I do a clean install of all the software? Probably right?

...and I can do a raid 0 right in the bios right?

Yeah you can do it the BIOs. Do a fresh install.

I wouldn't have gone with those SSDs but oh wells.

How come...it was the price that drove me!! I can send them back...

Not a fan of the Kingston SSDs due to their performance compared to other SSDs. In fact for $600, you could have gotten significantly faster SSDs:
$265 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC0128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SSD

Two of those above SSDs in RAID 0 would have outperformed three of those Kingston in RAID 0

Not a fan of the Kingston SSDs due to their performance compared to other SSDs. In fact for $600, you could have gotten significantly faster SSDs:
$265 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC0128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SSD

Two of those above SSDs in RAID 0 would have outperformed three of those Kingston in RAID 0

Hmm, There quite a bit more per GB though...I was thinking I was getting good $/gb After the rebate it is like $1.17/GB and the Crucials are more like $2.07/GB.

I think they kingstons will outperform my existing Intel. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023
Don't you think?

With SSDs, you're paying more for speed than space. I agree with Danny, I would have avoided those J-Micron based drives.

Since you already bought them, you can try them out and see if their performance is good enough for you. However, if you do open them, Newegg will most likely charge a restocking fee if you return them).

Thanks for the advice guys...I guess my thoughts right now are, that if they perform as well as my existing intel, and they buy me some relief in storage space...they'll do for a while.

It is pretty short money and I think it will alleviate my problem for the short term.

I mean how often can you get a gen 2 ssd for $1.17.GB?

I usually do follow Danny Bui's advice too...this is not easy to overlook!!!! heheh

anyway, wish me luck!!

Okay, So, I've got the new SSDs and I'm going to install but, would like some input on the process of the reinstall of windows 7.

I have a bunch of programs installed on the HDD how do I handle those programs? Will I just need to find their executable files and shortcut them to the desktop or will I have to reinstall all of those as well?

Most of the programs on the current c drive I can reinstall to the new drive, no problem and all the user files for those programs are on the HDD. I'll keep the current drive in tact for while just in case.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on methods and pitfalls to avoid...any advice at all on a good practice to get the job done with as little grief as possible.

BTW, not all Gen2 drives are the same, lol. Intel, not just gen2, is far better than jmicron when it comes to SSD controllers.

You'll have to reinstall every app if you don't have an imaging tool. Since you do have a WD HDD, you can download the Acronis True Image tool from wdc.com and use that to image your OS drive from within your current windows installation. This will save you time from having to reinstall everything.

Back