8-pin vs 4-pin PSU

Furious911

n00b
I bought a 680i motherboard and I just read the description for power and it needs "8-pin ATX 12V Power (PWR2) - It is strongly recommended that you use an 8-pin ATX 12V
power supply; however, if you have a four-pin power supply,
plug the connector to pins 1, 2, 5, and 6 as shown."

So OK I didn't know about this At All, and I have a:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190017

with a 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector, and the damn box for that power connector says Dual PCIe connectors (ie SLI ready) and V2.2 ATX 12V Compliant, so do I have to RMA *Another* piece to newegg now because this might now work or work crapily??

Disappointedly,
Furious911

unless you have a 2x2 to 2x4 converter just plug the 4pin 12v (box shaped connector) into the connector correctly. If you put it in wrong i dont think it will boot and wouldnt damage anything (would it? 12v into a ground pin?)

You really only need the 2x4 12v plug if you are running a power hungry cpu like a core 2 extreme or something.

You can also get a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter, I'm sure... I'd also think your system would be more stable using the 8-pin over the 4-pin, especially if you're overclocking, due to the 8-pin providing more voltage.

due to the 8-pin providing more voltage

You may wish to think that over some more. :eek:

Adding an adapter just moves the issues a few inches closer to the power supply but will not really hurt anything, nor help it either.

There are 100,000 posts of this same exact question in the power supply forum which is why I did not bother with a long explanation. A search there will find you a post or 100 that go in-depth about this issue. Look for the older ones as most people have gotten tired providing the same answer over and over and over and the recent responses are shorter.

Here is one
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1221565&highlight=pin

Hungry components like a quad core or high end videocard will draw more power from the motherboard. Since a 4 pins ATX has a amperage limit, they made the 8 pin version so more current can flow without risking burning the wire. It's a safety thing...

The 4pin/8pin info should really be made into some sticky on the PSU forum, add it to the PSU faq stickie already there or something.

It does get asked as much as "Will this PSU be enuff for my system".

I know, I asked about the 4pin/8pin thing myself awhile back. :)

The 4pin/8pin info should really be made into some sticky on the PSU forum, add it to the PSU faq stickie already there or something.

It does get asked as much as "Will this PSU be enuff for my system".

I know, I asked about the 4pin/8pin thing myself awhile back. :)
And not nearly as much as "Is my 3dmark score good??". I believe motherboard manuals tell you about the 4/8pin connections. Atleast my budget IP35-E did.

Hungry components like a quad core or high end videocard will draw more power from the motherboard. Since a 4 pins ATX has a amperage limit, they made the 8 pin version so more current can flow without risking burning the wire. It's a safety thing...

Graphics cards get power from PCI bus power or from separate PCIe power connectors. The 4/8 pin MB connector is only for the CPU.

You may wish to think that over some more. :eek:

Guess I should clarify my statement;

I was NOT referring to the adapter, I was referring to the issue of 4-pin vs. 8-pin itself. An 8-pin connector has 4 additional power leads, two 12v and two ground (if not mistaken), this provides more power over a 4-pin connector. But yes, if you use a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter, the voltage will NOT be any different than if you just use a 4-pin itself.

But yes, if you use a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter, the voltage will NOT be any different than if you just use a 4-pin itself.

Nor will the amperage limit be any different. Using a 4-8 adapter will only provide some power to both 4-pin sets of connectors but will provide no extra power. Given that the two sets of pins are supposedly connected on the MB, there is no clear advantage to using a 4-8 adapter.

Michael Daly said:
Nor will the amperage limit be any different. Using a 4-8 adapter will only provide some power to both 4-pin sets of connectors but will provide no extra power.

That's obvious and been said already...

Michael Daly said:
Given that the two sets of pins are supposedly connected on the MB, there is no clear advantage to using a 4-8 adapter.

Never said there an advantage. Just saying there is probably a 4-to-8 adapter if one does wish to use it, for whatever reason(s)...

Back