8 gigs of ram installed only 4 useable

thedork

Limp Gawd
I saw the other thread on this, but i didnt think my board fit into the category of the OP? If it does, can you move my post there.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have 8 gigs of ram installed and its saying 8 gigs of ram but 4 useable. the bios is showing this.

QS3lN.jpg

i see no where to enable the slots.

I had this problem when I first built it (about 2 weeks ago) and i reseeded the memory and it started working. Then i randomly saw it wasnt working again, I reseeded it two more times and still nothing.

Am I going to have to RMA this or am I missing something in the bios?

Thanks

I think you mean reseated*.

Anyway, that sounds like maybe a physical problem with the 2 slots that aren't reading, based on the fact that reseating fixed it temporarily. If you can't find anything in the bios to enable them, I would just RMA it. That would eliminate the possibility of bad ram slots. Try the different sticks in different slots, 1 stick at a time thing like you always should with memory issues, and if nothing comes of that, RMA it.

Reseat the HSF and make sure that it's not too tight. Apparently that's one cause of the Core i series not reading RAM correctly.

Yes 64 bit. Really? I'll give that a shot.

That would be ridiculous. It's showing up in resource manager and eveything I've read said remap in bios. Well of course these bios don't have that feature. Sigh.

Gonna try 1 stick at a time and the hsf
I don't think it's the dims if it's being recognized. But worth a shot

I've come across the same issue with the same board with Gskill ram. This problem really confused me and I tried everything I could think of.

I swapped out the ram and plugged each stick in different slots a couple times. With some swaps the computer wouldn't even post. I even swapped it out with different ram from another computer(different brand) and the problems still persisted. I even ended up reseating the CPU.

Eventually I ended up RMAing the board and when the new board came it still had problems.

At this point I was really confused. I just ended up ordering another set of ram from a different company and when that came it ended up working for some reason.

All I can say is I have no idea what the problem really was, but I got it working.

they responded and told me to do this

Dear customer,
Please troubleshoot with procedures below:
1) Disconnect hard drive and other components from board, make sure the 24 pin ATX and the other 8 or 4 pin 12v connected to mother board. Take onboard cell battery out for 5 sec clear CMOS.
2) Remove cpu from cpu socket, check if any bent or broken pin on cpu socket, reseat cpu, put in single stick memory on white color slot close to cpu, connect monitor to graphic card, check if system can boot into bios setting, reset bios to load fail-safe defaults and load optimized defaults.
Note:
Mother board bios memory voltage setting is base on 1.5v, please check current model memory voltage spec(check memory module label) if memory is higher than 1.5v type, go in bios under M/B intelligent tweaker on memory voltage control item adjust memory voltage match.
For example: current memory is 1.65v go in bios M/B intelligent tweaker on DDR3 voltage control item change to 1.65v.
With the correct voltage setting in bios memory should detected correctly.

My ram is supposed to be 1.5v, so i DIDNT change the voltage. Im unsure what happens if you turn up the voltage when it only needs 1.5v

Here is what happened

I booted up 1 stick at a time, and i can get 6 gigs, but when I plug in the 4th stick it goes back to 4 gigs and disables the other slots

So would that be a bad dim slot?

My ram is supposed to be 1.5v, so i DIDNT change the voltage. Im unsure what happens if you turn up the voltage when it only needs 1.5v
Some RAM may develop defects as a result.

So would that be a bad dim slot?

Sounds like it but try this:
With only three sticks of RAM, keep trying different placement of the RAM. i.e leave the 2nd DIMM slot empty while the rest has RAM or the 3rd DIMM slot empty and the rest full, etc, etc. If you still get 6GB of RAM no matter what the configuration is, probably not a bad DIMM slot.

Back