8.10 Beta Catalyst Drivers

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
Stolen from Rage3d:
Vista x86/x64

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DYBRA1YZ

XP x86/x64

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JVVGAXK9

Haven't done any benchmarking but initial changes is a noticeable manual fan control and fan speed display:

f_Capture1m_b312071.jpg

Good that they've added this but they need some kind of threshhold control, where you set a temp and the fanspeed adjusts to try and maintain that temp.

When overclocking these something like 50% fanspeed is acceptable during game play but certainly not when you're at desktop, especially with 2 4870's installed.

Yea, without auto fan control this is fail - until they add that I'll be using riva to control and cata to o/c (riva doesn't support crossfire o/cing ::()

Good that they've added this but they need some kind of threshhold control, where you set a temp and the fanspeed adjusts to try and maintain that temp.

When overclocking these something like 50% fanspeed is acceptable during game play but certainly not when you're at desktop, especially with 2 4870's installed.

I'm sure you can create profiles, so if you want to play a game, just hit you game profile, and it will take it up to your designated speed. Then when you're done, just hit your desktop profile, and ta-da!

anyone w/ a 4870x2 know what the driver Packaging version is for these? im on 8.8 beta's and its 8.54.

Also anyone w/ a 4870 do any benchmarking? Post results :)

I'm sure you can create profiles, so if you want to play a game, just hit you game profile, and it will take it up to your designated speed. Then when you're done, just hit your desktop profile, and ta-da!

or key combinations. EVGA precision works like this on my 8800GTX. crtl + alt + 1 is my non overclocked idle mode, and ctrl + alt + 2 is my overclocked setting with 100% fan.

For the love of God I want to be able to set minimum fan speed to 35%! Anyone notice any other improvements?

hmm, personally i wasn't that bothered about it. Suppose it is better however, i am wondering if the default fan speed has been changed or not, i think a default of 25-30% would be best for most users.

anyone w/ a 4870x2 know what the driver Packaging version is for these? im on 8.8 beta's and its 8.54.

Also anyone w/ a 4870 do any benchmarking? Post results :)

Driver Packaging Version 8.54-080910a-069486E-ATI

From what I heard ATI now has several driver teams this one is dated Sept 10. INF below:

;-----------------------------------------------
;----------0809161608-8.54-080910a-069486E-ATI
; ATI Display Information file : atiilhag.inf
;
; Installation INF for the ATI display driver.
; Copyright(C) 1998-2006 ATI Technologies Inc.
; PX - PX Proxy mode
; PR - PX Proxy Ready

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider=%ATI%
ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Display
DriverVer=09/10/2008, 8.540.0.0000

Why are these beta driers so large? 200MB?

A lot of the time these "leaked" drivers contain all the extras such as the Avivo and Hydravision packages. They also usually contain some of the Home Theater product drivers as well.

Just tested the New Drivers Using the Warhead Benchmark Tool

8.9 Official Drivers

2gsn5uw.jpg

8.10 Beta Drivers

2nvyt7b.jpg

So i did get a slight increase haha

Now Here's the 8.10 Beta Drivers With A Custom Extreme Quality Config

With V SYNC

2cosrc3.jpg

Without V SYNC

16m5f06.jpg

This is running the specs in my system.

8.10 Beta Drivers at 8x With V SYNC

oa2ej5.jpg

haha yup, and i added a shot of the benchmark at 8x AA. And everyone's right, this card eats up AA, raised AA 4x to 8x and only lost 3 frames from my average :)

that is sexy! i gotta buy this game and run these benches on my 8800GTX.

are the install limits on warhead suckish?

that is sexy! i gotta buy this game and run these benches on my 8800GTX.

are the install limits on warhead suckish?

not that i've seen, i've installed it twice through Steam already, no problems, and if i do, Steam Support will probably help me :) They recovered my account after non use for a year, email account it was on closed, and everything. It only took 2 days also !

But still, problems would suck haha

Maybe ill install Warhead on my other Vista partition with my 8800 GTX and run the benches, but its also a lot of work haha

From what I heard ATI now has several driver teams

Which makes things even more confusing in terms of deciding what driver to use.

Clearly the drivers from "Team A" work better than Team B's, on my system..

Take X-Plane 9..

8.6 (Team A): Works great
8.7 (Team B): Random crashes and black textures
Original leaked 8.54 from august (Team A): Random crashes are gone, textures display normally
Official 8.8 (Team B): Random crashes and texture corruption is back
Official 8.9 (Team B): Also random crashes and texture corruption
The new leaked 8.54 (Team A): Random crashes and texture corruption yet again fixed

So now, because there are two teams, bugs that were fixed two months ago by one team will suddeny re-appear in a new driver by the other team :mad: That's extremely confusing and annoying.. ATI should state in the release note which team was responsible for that particular driver set, the stupid team or the clever team.

Why do these drivers say 8.5?

The actual driver versions of previous drivers (Catalyst 8.9, 8.8 etc.) is actually 8.52, 8.53 etc. The numbers (e.g. Catalyst 8.9) just indicate the year (8) and month (9) the driver was released. They are not actual version numbers. There will be a Catalyst 8.10, 8.11 and 8.12 before they switch to 9.x.

Awesome! Thanks for posting these. :)

I'll have to try these on my 4870 X2 when I get a chance. Still encountering some issues with 8.9 (i.e. sleep flickering bug, occasional BSOD in Crysis: WF), but hopefully this leaked version will work out better.

Fan works great on my 4870x2. Can go from 0-100% and can hear it speed up and slow down on the fly. Good job ATI.

Also, these run very similar to the old 8.54's from the 8.8 beta's. I get similar FPS in crysis, and I was able to play the witcher maxed out w/ 4xaa without dropping under 40FPS, unlike the 8.9 officials.

Also I noticed that when running the crysis in game benchmark the giant rock in the mountain is fully textured now, when previously it looked blurred out even when on very high. Dont know if its just coincidence or if it was the driver.

None the less, these are good, and no problems here. I recomend them!

Just here to confirm that that fan control does not work for my 3850 :( Guess I'll have to stick to the custom profiles.

Too little, too late. RivaTuner pwns this "new" feature, they would have been better off fixing the black screen bug, for example, so people could actually install their new cards.

Too little, too late. RivaTuner pwns this "new" feature, they would have been better off fixing the black screen bug, for example, so people could actually install their new cards.

You are 100% correct, this card makes me want to strangle kittens.

This card makes me play games at high fps at max settings. It can only get better.

You know I think ive experienced this so called black screen bug.... After every driver install and i reboot its a black screen. BUT, if I look real closely or turn the brightness up I can see im on the login screen of my windows. I can login, and then reboot from there, and after that reboot I can see everything perfectly again. Is this what you mean by the blackscreen bug?

also, not only is it hard to see brightness wise, but only the top left corner is where it shows up. Like if you cut the monitor into 4 quares, the top left is where my login window shows up, and the other three are totally black.

any news on whether the linux 8.10 drivers will support X.org 7.4?

I have a HP TX2500 tablet with the PUMA platform, which needs the latest 2.6.27 kernel for the power management, however all the distros's that are shipping with the beta of this also use X.org 7.4 for which AMD/ATI has no support for in their linux catalyst drivers yet.

I would be delighted if the 8.10 linux drivers have support for the latest X.org release.........

Installed this morning. Crysis, WoW, CoD4 all play "smoother" CoD and Crysis even went up in fps. Manual fan control is nice as well.

Tabbing out of games and back to desktop is also quicker for me now. On the 8.9betas and 8.9 official it would lag and stutter a bit while switching.

haha yup, and i added a shot of the benchmark at 8x AA. And everyone's right, this card eats up AA, raised AA 4x to 8x and only lost 3 frames from my average :)

Speedy, where did you find the Config file for Warhead? I sure would like to have it.

(I know this is about the beta cats) but I'm running 8.9 for now. I would just like o say, WOW, I have the system in my sig and the warhead benchmark gave me 18FPS average... on the MAINSTREAM setting I would get 20FPS, thats a 2FPS drop for all that Quality. If I tweak this a bit more, I'm sure I could get 30fps w/ quality!

You are really stretching that 3850 for what it's worth, lol....and an AGP at that...nice.

Back