7970's must be in short supply

• Thread starter Deleted member 93354
  • Start date
Hehehe.... I know somebody who didn't make money with bitcoins...

:p

Hehehe.... I know somebody who didn't make money with bitcoins...

:p

I know lots of people too, not sure what that means, still a stupid idea. Making money on bitcoins has nothing to do with the idea itself being stupid. It will fail, its a guarantee, just a matter of time.

Very constructive answer. I'm not sure how that relates to 7970 pricing or supply/demand though.

Because if you read the previous post, it implies that people are buying up 79xx series cards for bitcoin mining like the OP. Did you miss all that? :eek:

I know lots of people too, not sure what that means, still a stupid idea. Making money on bitcoins has nothing to do with the idea itself being stupid. It will fail, its a guarantee, just a matter of time.

So will the whole U.S monetary system, it's just a matter of time.

Weather anyone thinks it's pointless or not is irrelevant when it's been so very profitable, and even educational on a cryptology & micro economics level.

Because if you read the previous post, it implies that people are buying up 79xx series cards for bitcoin mining like the OP. Did you miss all that? :eek:

Nowhere in OP is mining suggested. Bitcoin-mining driving up prices certainly is a valid position to hold (I know of people with 20+ cards), so unless you provide evidence against this position, your post was nothing but bitcoin-hating/trolling.

And yet again, the Nvidia fanboys trolling on the AMD forums. Obviously they must be afraid of something or they wouldn't be here.

No one views this as a war other than you AMD loving people. The rest of us are discussing the topic. Owning one piece of hardware doesn't magically preclude people from talking.

Nowhere in OP is mining suggested. Bitcoin-mining driving up prices certainly is a valid position to hold (I know of people with 20+ cards), so unless you provide evidence against this position, your post was nothing but bitcoin-hating/trolling.

Did you miss this?

"The 7970 is a great piece of hardware, it's the software that is lacking for multi-card enthusiasts anyway. I was getting ready to get a couple 6GB versions for some 5 screen fun a couple months back, but that never happened unfortunately.

Bitcoins were great for me, made a very nice profit on them, and still have a few I'm keeping to see what's going to happen, but seems it's heyday has passed, but maybe I'll give it another go next winter when I can also use the heat!"

Maybe you can tell me any reason why he injected bitcoin mining into this conversation if it didn't have implications of people using 79xx series cards for bitcoin mining. Use your head next time before posting.

I commented on the topic of bitcoins, if you read the whole thread I did not introduce the topic.

At the price of a 7970, I'd say it takes too long to pay it off vs. the emerging arrays built specifically for mining. If you bought a 7970 for gaming anyways, it's just "free money" to mine so to speak.

I commented on the topic of bitcoins, if you read the whole thread I did not introduce the topic.

At the price of a 7970, I'd say it takes too long to pay it off vs. the emerging arrays built specifically for mining. If you bought a 7970 for gaming anyways, it's just "free money" to mine so to speak.

Fair enough, I simply said I can't wait for bitcoin mining to fail, you or others may or may not agree with it and that's fine. An opinion doesn't have to be shared by everyone. Its my opinion that the idea of bitcoins was stupid to begin with and I foresee failure in the future. To anyone that may have made any money from bitcoin mining, I don't care honestly, its none of my business. Again, I just stated my opinion in bitcoin mining since you spoke of it.

So are you saying that if you didn't buy an expensive video card you wouldn't want to offset the cost of the video card by bit mining, even if it didn't completely pay off the entire cost of the video card? Ok gotcha.

Bottom line is if you can get a good deal on a 7970 used it's still a good buy. I don't think I'd pay full retail for one.

Bottom line is if you can get a good deal on a 7970 used it's still a good buy. I don't think I'd pay full retail for one.

I agree, if the price ever comes down on a 7970 to near the $400 mark, I'll bite on one to use in my desktop PC and replace my overclocked 7850. The HTPC will still keep the GTX 670 in it though so since its a great performer at my overclocked speeds. I like having good cards from both camps honestly, if a game doesn't run as well on one machine, I can always use the other. I just believe right now, the 7970 is still WAY overpriced, even after the first price cut. $400 and I'll buy in.

I agree, if the price ever comes down on a 7970 to near the $400 mark, I'll bite on one to use in my desktop PC and replace my overclocked 7850. The HTPC will still keep the GTX 670 in it though so since its a great performer at my overclocked speeds. I like having good cards from both camps honestly, if a game doesn't run as well on one machine, I can always use the other. I just believe right now, the 7970 is still WAY overpriced, even after the first price cut. $400 and I'll buy in.

$400 and I'm in.

I'm predicting this fall, there will be a refresh akin to 6800 vs 6900 series. And the prices will fall to $400 if not lower by then. So I just need to wait 3 months...patiently wait.

This is the order the posts happened in...

There's also the matter of bitcoin miners to consider. It seems the 7970 is a great card to buy to hedge against the risk that the block reward may halve come December and other hardware becomes useless.

Bitcoins were great for me, made a very nice profit on them, and still have a few I'm keeping to see what's going to happen, but seems it's heyday has passed, but maybe I'll give it another go next winter when I can also use the heat!

Bitcoins are retarded, I can't wait to see that stupid idea go under.

Very constructive answer. I'm not sure how that relates to 7970 pricing or supply/demand though.

Maybe you can tell me any reason why he injected bitcoin mining into this conversation if it didn't have implications of people using 79xx series cards for bitcoin mining. Use your head next time before posting.

I don't need to use my head, you need to use your eyes. I am the one who injected bitcoin mining into the conversation, and the first thing out of your mouth is that "Bitcoins are retarded."

There's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and just plain trolling.

This is the order the posts happened in...

I don't need to use my head, you need to use your eyes. I am the one who injected bitcoin mining into the conversation, and the first thing out of your mouth is that "Bitcoins are retarded."

There's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and just plain trolling.

I think its fantastic that you're taking credit for the bitcoin injection into this thread. My opinion of bitcoins hasn't changed though. I still think its a stupid idea, whether you agree or not. But, I'm glad you finally got your due credit for bringing bitcoin mining into this thread.

Bitcoin mining was the reason that 6990s were rare and expensive for most of their product life. Also it made 5970s reach astronomical prices on eBay.

It appears plausible that Bitcoin miners (stupid or not) are gobbling up a considerable part of the 7970 supply. Add to that the very limited 28nm capacity at TSMC, and you might have a contributing factor for rising prices.

Do note that AMD must distribute their current 28nm allocation among three GPUs, while NVidia has only the GK104 on sale.

Back