7970 Purchasing Thread

That has to be a error, the XFX is 559.

Nope.

They do that all the time when they are the only guys with a "hot" item.

They did the same thing with the Intel 3930K, jacked the price up $100 one day and right back down to MSRP once newegg had stock again.:eek:

I called tigerdirect they said the MSI is priced higher because they fulfill that order outside of tigerdirect. Or something like that. So looks like ill wait for Newegg. If newegg doesnt have the MSI at around 560 not 580+shipping. Ill order Gigabyte or Asus. I like serial warranty.

I smell bullschizzle.

I've been waiting for a Gigabyte to come back in stock since Friday. I'm so sad since I finally have the money to buy it but no availability.

No issues here in crossfire. Did you reformat?

Sadly, I even tried that. Wasted half a day. I finally gave up and tried one card by istelf, but even then I had Eyefinity issues with tearing. So I'd turn on vertical sync and it would cause weird stuttering in SWTOR, Dungeon Siege III, Dungeon Defenders, and a couple other games I play. Mostly SWTOR is what I'm playing now so that's just not cutting it. Skyrim actually worked ok except for these strange gray rings that floated though the sky in the distance. WTF?

Know what pissed me off the most? After reformatting, I only had the 7970 drivers on the computer and was still having the same issues. So I uninstalled them, put my old gtx460s back in, installed the Nvidia drivers, enabled SLI and NVSurround, loaded up SWTOR and all the issues went away. Loaded up Dungeon Siege III and Dungeon Defenders and all the issues were gone. Loaded up Skyrim and this strange gray ring floating through the sky was no longer there. I was thinking, "Wow, that's just really, really sad."

I'm a perfectionist so I'm a bit pickier than most, but I don't understand how people can put up with glitchy shit like that for higher frame rates. It's not worth the tradeoff to me.

Oh, and here's another problem that's simply unacceptable with the 7970: when booting the computer, the monitors take too long to sync when the motherboard is going through the various BIOS/UEFI boot screen (like the RAID screen) so all I get is black screens with like a millisecond of text before it moves to the next screen and goes black again while it tries to resync.... Put the gtx460's back in... screens come up instantly during boot. I mean, if I had a new computer and was using a 7970, how the hell would I even know what was happening during boot if I hadn't seen the screens before?

Crap like this is the reason I stopped using ATI a while ago. I just got tired of weird issues like that. I really, truely believed that was no longer going to be the case with AMD. No one was really complaining about issues like that anymore. But wow, it just slapped me in the face hard. Can people really just ignore these types of issues when they're gaming? I can't... I need a multicard solution that can run my 3 monitors without issues, without tearing, without stuttering, without flashing textures, without having to run fullscreen windowed mode because the drivers are broken. AMD just isn't there yet.

I am so terribly disappointed I don't even know what else to say.

Looks like someone else in the same boat as me. Still tinkering around but overall Nvidia still has the better driver support, but AMD has better multi-monitor support.

Last edited:
Well, my toy has arrived. It didnt' like 2x Display Port with a DVI, so I swapped to 1x HDMI and 2x DP. Overclocked to 1125/1600 and she's doing just fine with Dues Ex:HR, and SWTOR. Hitting around 70C.

Great card, considering it's a better framerate and response from my old 5970 @ 830/1150.

What's the deal with all the EK blocks that had all those problems? Was that just the ones that had nickel? That kind of steered me away from wanting to use their blocks.

I had never heard of a problem with ek blocks but a quick google search shows it was with the nickle plating on the nickle plated ones (obviously).

The nickle ones are more expensive anyway so I got the bare copper one with acrylic top. Wanted the acetal top version but it went out of stock while in my cart.

What do you guys think about Sapphire? Compared to Gigabyte?

edit: out again :(

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Sapphire? Compared to Gigabyte?

edit: out again :(

I still see the sapphire as back in stock. Unless you were referring to the Gigabyte.

As far as the sapphire, I had picked up 2 and one of them looks to be pretty cherry and oc's beyond what I expected on air. The other though had funky voltage issues that caused odd instabilities, so I'm rma'ing that and hoping for as good a card as the first to come back. However, I'm not really writing off sapphire as a brand for this one card, as a few people seem to have had similar issues across all brands, and they really are all pretty much the same card at this point, just different stickers. On top of that, I don't mind getting a free active dp-->dvi adapter among the throng of adapters that Sapph bundles - while they usually don't matter much to me, the active is nice, and its a stark contrast to what some other brands (cough xfx) throws in the box.

As a side note, a quick call with newegg had them cross ship a new 7970 overnight with a standing ups label to return mine within 30 days, so A+ for that.

I still see the sapphire as back in stock. Unless you were referring to the Gigabyte.

As far as the sapphire, I had picked up 2 and one of them looks to be pretty cherry and oc's beyond what I expected on air. The other though had funky voltage issues that caused odd instabilities, so I'm rma'ing that and hoping for as good a card as the first to come back. However, I'm not really writing off sapphire as a brand for this one card, as a few people seem to have had similar issues across all brands, and they really are all pretty much the same card at this point, just different stickers. On top of that, I don't mind getting a free active dp-->dvi adapter among the throng of adapters that Sapph bundles - while they usually don't matter much to me, the active is nice, and its a stark contrast to what xfx throws in the box (pretty much nothing).

As a side note, a quick call with newegg had them cross ship a new 7970 overnight with a standing ups label to return mine within 30 days, so A+ for that.

That's pretty awesome! The Sapphire was in earlier, and then went out of stock. Then a few minutes ago, it came back in. I'm looking at it right now, trying to decide whether or not to go with Sapphire or wait for the Gigabyte.

I got the Sapphire! I wanted to wait for the Gigabyte (only because my Gigabyte 6950 was so awesome), but I didn't want to wait any longer. It'll probably be back on stock tomorrow

Anyway hopefully it'll work well. We shall see :)

If i had my pic it would be sapphire! Best extras in teh box and the box is cool as well (since there all the same cards anyways).

Tonight i picked up the last 3 cards locally at MC. 2 Diamonds and a XFX. Hessitated for a min about crossing brands but since i'm better off testing this out from MC (as i can return them) insted of being stuck with it from newegg, i snagged it.. wanted 3 originally anyways to pair with a 7990 when it hits.. IF i can live with these atm with all the horror stories over my perfectly working Quad 580 SLI in Surround Vision.

P.S. Was fun buying the 3 7970s and a Asus Rampage IV Extreme and a Intel 3960 CPU at MC. A few guys were like "Holy shit" and is that the new 7970s?? and your gona run crossfire with 3 of them??.. The guy at the check out was like "Oh your really spending some serious money tonight". Heard the total ($3398) and said "Oh its cheap" (ment to say cheaper then i thought) and swiped the bank card! haha. Boy was i really nervious walking out of that store in a dark parking lot in not the best neighborhood.

I am hesitant about Diamond. Anyone have any experience with them?

Not for several years, but remember having an awful time with some of their older ati cards. A few friends at the time were unable to get any real or meaningful rma service from them if I recall correctly. However, I'm not sure if management or QA there has improved over the last few years. Additionally, at least most of these cards at launch will be pretty much the same, so it's not quite as bad I suppose.

Why wont newegg lower the price on it! damnit! lol. Im just going to put an order for an ASUS from amazon and let it sit.

I guess the card is that badass... IMO ill wait for the next model to drop then cop the 7970 or something... depends how manic I am at the moment

Bingo.......second 7970 scored...... now if AMD can just get their driver guys to pull their heads out of their collective arses, I'm GTG.:D

Oh turtle! I hope you can hold out. lol. I cant I have no videocard. Im using my friends 6970 right now and its not like he will let me use it for months lol.

Tell em to slow his roll... or is he not turtle enough for the turtle club :D

LOL! It went out of stock as I was typing my credit card in lol

d0d1e46b.jpg
But not with those speeds... LOL

Back