7970 pointer corruption

Bibax

n00b
Hi all,

Has anyone else been getting mouse pointer corruption with their 7970? I have a Sapphire and every so often in extended mode I get a corrupted mouse pointer when moving between screens.

I can always correct it by moving back and forth between screens a couple times, but the fact that it happens at all worries me slightly.

Other than that and the inescapable screen tearing its the best card I've ever owned.

Thanks.

It's sad that they still haven't fixed that. It was extremely annoying with the 5850.

Oddly enough, I haven't had the issue with my 6950.

damn they still have that problem? used to happen to my 5870 from time to time. it fixes it self sometimes but most of the time i just restart and it goes away.

I've run my 7970s in extended mode (50in. Plasma as secondary) and also 5760x1200 Eyefinity and have not experienced this.

pointer corruption can be fixed by toggling on cursor trails on its lowest setting. Some games won't be unable to draw a trailed cursor though. LoL I know for certain won't.

Last edited:
I had this with my 5870 on eyefinity, used to piss me off. If that shit comes back when my new 7970 gets here....

Its skipped a generation for me also. Had it with 5970, nothing with 6970's and now again with 7series. :p

Fml. Seriously? How does amd fuck drivers up so badly?I would have gone keplar but I want performance now.....
Guess that's the trade off. I didn't expect a huge leap forwards... but old problems coming back....ugh

Funny, I've never once had this problem on the past 3 generations of their cards.

I'm really starting to think there are a lot of fake posters here.

Perhaps its your mouse drivers fault.

No problems here... 42" HDTV and 30" monitor in extended mode.

Funny thing is I did have this problem back on a single display with Nvidia cards. Both the 8800GT and GTX275 would randomly give me a corrupt cursor when alt tabbing out of 3D apps. Haven't experienced that ever since I switched to AMD (5870 -> 5970 -> 6970 -> now 7970).

Funny, I've never once had this problem on the past 3 generations of their cards.

Nope. I had it once on my 6970's, and so far once on my 7970's too. Never on my 5870's though.

E

Really? Google it. Many users had the problem on 5 series with eyefinity. Never researched problem on 6 series b/c it never affected me.

I had this mostly on my 480/580. Totally gone with this. I can't remember if I had it on my 5870.

I've had it happen very temporarily on 7970 after gaming. Goes away on its own after moving mouse to another screen like you said. Happens rarely, hard to reproduce. Had this on 5870 as well but never again on that card after a bios update.

Had this issue with my 6850, didn't with my 6950 now I have it again with my 7970.

I'm running three monitors and it goes away after moving the cursor a couple of times b/w the monitors. When it happens, it usually only happens when the cursor is on one monitor and when it moves to other monitors it's normal, but moving back to the monitor it started happening on, it becomes corrupted again.

When the cursor becomes corrupted it looks like a stack of little black arrows, one on top of another.

Mine does it so often on my 7970...also my MSN Chat windows do the same thing if I leave the PC on for awhile and come back but if I exit out of them and go back then it is back to normal...

WTB Good drivers.

Also have this issue with my visiontek 7970. It seems to happen randomly, but it when it does, the effect is limited to 1 screen. I've experienced it on my dvi connected screen, as well as displayport connected screen. I'm running eyefinity with one screen via dvi, one via mini dp to dp and one via mini dp-dvi. Never had this issue with my xfx 5870.

Mine is a Visiontek too. One monitor via DVI and two via the mini-displayports.

I have a landscape and portrait setup and can corrupt the mouse courser anytime move it from the right screen to the left by sliding it from below the left screen against the bottom left side of the right screen that is below the left screen and then into the lower right of the left screen.

Reminds me of the 3 or 4 months of drivers that had a little slow spot in the upper right where the mouse would slow down when moved through the very upper right of the main screen. That was on my 5970 though.

Everyone’s letting them know right!

Fill this out: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

Hi all,

Has anyone else been getting mouse pointer corruption with their 7970? I have a Sapphire and every so often in extended mode I get a corrupted mouse pointer when moving between screens.

I can always correct it by moving back and forth between screens a couple times, but the fact that it happens at all worries me slightly.

Other than that and the inescapable screen tearing its the best card I've ever owned.

Thanks.

I don't know if this still applies. I remember reading about this issue back in the HD 5XXX days and the solution was to update your bios or only enable USB 2.0 support with legacy support disable or something like that. I am not sure which one is the correct solution because I never exhibited this issue.

When this happened on my Radeon 5770, I found the issue to be with the multiple power states on the card. The way AMD built the card, in my opinion, or any AMD card is that the GPU is not powering up or down properly. You may get 2D power state and core/mem clocks during a 3D game or movie.

The only fix to the cursor corruption and gray-screen/black-screen freezing was to stabilize all power states to the same core and memory clock by editing the BIOS.

That fixed it right away.

I am unsure if that will work with the 7900-series but it might be worth a shot.

Also, this issue is not unique to AMD, but I've seen it in the 200-series of Nvidia cards up to the 260. I have no idea if the 280/285 had these issues. Again, the fix was to edit the BIOS. However, this issue seems to be more prevalent in AMD cards than Nvidia from what I've seen from my customers.

Maybe it's because Nvidia has a "slightly better" power-down/power-up mechanism than AMD? Who knows?

Another AMD fuck up that they have yet to fix, this happened to me on 5870, it did skip the 6970, now again on 7970.

AMD when are you gonna get your head out of your ass?

Didn't have it on my 6950, but my 7970 does. It will randomly appear as three black dots and a line running parallel to them. Kind of annoying, but still fully functional.

I have had the mouse corruption on my 7970 when the monitors(3x1920x1080) are in an Eyefinity Group as one large monitor. Haven't seen it anywhere else. Seems to come up after exiting a game like BF3.

I have had the mouse corruption on my 7970 when the monitors(3x1920x1080) are in an Eyefinity Group as one large monitor. Haven't seen it anywhere else. Seems to come up after exiting a game like BF3.

Yeah, similar experience here with the 5770. I don't have it with the 6950 currently in my computer. It's been rock solid since I installed it.

However, it tends to happen when you exit a game (3D clocks) and go to movie or Flash video site like Youtube. Or, going from a 2D program (2D clocks) and to a game (3D clocks) or movie (forgot the clock state...). The card doesn't properly power up or power down, hence it would lead to a atikmdiag error (or similar), and a crash or gray/black screen freeze, alongside cursor corruption.

Back in the days of the 5770, my only guess it's hardware related (if the mechanism to control the power states is on the card), which means AMD will have to recall or reissue new cards with a fix. Or, it's a driver issue and AMD has to get off their asses to fix it because this issue randomly pops up on different driver versions. It may be on Catalyst 9.10, for example, but doesn't appear in 10.2, but appears again in 10.4, and so on.

It's wholly inconsistent.

I bought a powercolor ( cheap ) 7970 from newegg praying for a good show, and so far have been blown away by the proformance and have not noticed any kind of problems like you're describing or any other type of fuck ups, it runs flawless ( Thank God! ) plan on getting a 2nd card of the same brand this fall for black friday sales ;)

had similar pointer issue with my xfx 6990 until the most recent driver update, only ever happened in eyefinity for me too

Back