7970 flickering fix

Hi,

I have an XFX Black edition 7970 that was flickering at 60hz 75hz. However, I noticed that as soon as it rose to the highest performance state, it stopped flickering.

So I created a CCC profile and bumped the core clock to 900 and bumped up the voltage as well for the lowest state.

I was able to get the flickering by opening lots of flash tabs, youtube?, and as soon as I loaded the custom profile with higher voltage and clocks, the jiterring/flickering went away.

Good luck to other flickerers!

Is this with an eyefinity setup ? I had this same issue to with an active adapter in an eyefinity setup. But it wasnt a "powered" active adapter (with the usb connector) so the screen would flicker at 2d clocks. Forcing 3d fixed the issue like you said. If your having the issue with single monitor id try another output and if it doesn't help id rma it. Will hurt resale value pretty bad.

Hey guys,

Flickering like this is probably a clock speed issue, oddly enough if you clock it up, it will probably go away. I would recommend creating a support ticket at xfxsupport, PM'ing me the ticket number, and ill get you an RMA and the extra bits you need to get this replaced. A.S.A.P

^ hey very nice, I didn't expect to see XFX here. I bought it off ebay so I can't RMA it,

while you're here, does flickering at lower clocks and voltages mean the card is bad?

I've been stressing the heck out of it running all sorts of games, benchmarks, even some litecoin on it (99% use) for hours, and its holding up just fine. It only does a weird jittering effect when it's changing clocks.

Last edited:
nah, I dont' know the original owner. Plus, the card works fine at higher clocks and I'm using it right now without any problems.

If I remember correctly u don't need to know previous owner you just register an account and add the GPU s/n and it automatically transfers to you. If previous owner registered it.

oh, that would be nice, get a brand new XFX 7970 lol. but unfortunately, I smudged the sn sticker on the back, also, it's not really broken. it just has the jitters at low clocks and voltage. but I set the profile and it works just fine. I tested it with everything I could think of, furmark, cinebench, 3dmark11, stress tester, and it passed all of them no artifacting.

also, i've seen lots of people on google with flickering of sorts with the 7970's so I think its just amd clocking/volt too low.

but then again my 7950 works perfectly at all clocks.

It's an inherent issue with the 79x0 cards. See my post here, as well as a user claiming that there is a driver fix in the works...

The flicker occurs when they switch out of idle clocks. and is most apparent when in 2D apps like browser flash and video playback.

The only solution I've been able to find was editing the registry to force higher idle clocks so they don't have to jump as high between states.

^ that's what I thought, so there's nothing actually wrong with my xfx 7970 as it performs very good.

its just amd needs to write a new bios that doesn't have such low idle clocks i assume

You could check your bios version and email xfx and ask if there is an update. Or edit the bios yourself to increase voltages at 2d clocks. Its pretty easy.

There should be newer bios updates for your particular card. Did you try checking TPU to see if someone posted a newer Bios for your XFX?

disable hardware acceleration in your flash player and it'll get rid of the flickering

that's what I did. also noticed flickering if I had MSI Afterburner "Unofficial Overclocking Mode" set to 1 (setting it to 2 seemed to solve the added flickering)

I had this problem mainly in Steam, when showing game trailers the screen would freeze up.

Think it has to do with voltage and the changing of core/mem frequency between idle mode and 3D mode.

As above, I used MSI afterburner but with the following settings.

Enable "unofficial overclocking mode"
without "powerplay" support.
set both 2D and 3D profile to max speed 955/1375 (I have Powercolor OC edition )

This will force a constant core/mem setting.

Note, this will increase the idle GPU temp so you need to have good cooling, before 38°C up to 56°C.

Back