7970/280x Tri-Fire/Quad-fire Performance Scaling?

rc3ilynt

Limp Gawd
So I used to mine cryptocurrency and with profits being negative with New York rate electricity I stopped. I sold most of the equipment and some cards but I still have about 7 7970/280x's and a 7990. I'm looking to upgrade right now but can't really say I'm unsatisfied with the performance of these cards in crossfire with regards to gaming but was curious as to how performance scaling in was if I added 1 or 2 more to my system to make a tri-fire/quad-fire build. From what I've searched, most topics regarding these cards are usually a year or older and don't really recommend it. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with perhaps newer drivers and mantle. I would try it myself but my motherboard is limited to 3 cards at most and power requirements are a concern. Any input into the topic or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've put 3 mining cards into a machine for fun and didn't like the choppiness associated with multiple cards. Honestly if I were you I'd sell them off and use a single powerful card

It depends a bit on the rest of your system. You could end up CPU bottlenecked. Generally speaking though, trifire scales pretty well but quadfire is definitely diminishing returns.

I've put 3 mining cards into a machine for fun and didn't like the choppiness associated with multiple cards. Honestly if I were you I'd sell them off and use a single powerful card

There is always that option =) Did you use 7970s/280x's or any of the tahiti cards specifically? The choppiness is something I've read about with 13.12 drivers and I'm wondering if AMD/ATI has improved on it since.

It depends a bit on the rest of your system. You could end up CPU bottlenecked. Generally speaking though, trifire scales pretty well but quadfire is definitely diminishing returns.

I see. I guess quad-fire is out of the picture. As of now I'm using a 3770k at 4.5GHz with 16gb or RAM and a 1000w PSU. I'm looking to upgrade an x79 or x99 build. From what I understand though PCI bottlenecking may be a problem but I honeslty have no idea.

I bet they would work pretty well in BF4 with Mantle enabled. I don't know if you could hit 1440p due to Mantle's high VRAM requirement, but your framerate should be off the charts.

You should try it and report back. Maybe use the 7990 and two 280x's.

A lot of mixed feelings about this. I will try it this weekend. No guarantees on quadfire as 1000w might not cut it.

Really depends on the software support for the games you are playing. Trifire is usually pretty good, Quadfire has more limited support. If you play BF4 though it should be smooth.

no good games recently are even supporting two cards, let alone 3-4

crossfire is really hurting right now, so is SLI but not to the same extent

doesnt help that AMD hasn't released a new driver since what, december?

IMHO, no point going for quadfire. I tried 4 x R9 290, and it doesn't run well except for benchmarks. In the end, sold off 2 of them and I just stick with 2 cards. Runs fine.

Back