7950, Are You Waiting?

SolidSnakeUS

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else waiting for the 7950? I know the huge thing right now is the 7970, but I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks $550 for a new card is a bit much? Also, I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge, so I got a lot of time to see the new AMD and nVidia offerings. If anything, I'd like to just make this some sort of official pre-release thread or something. Discuss. Comment. News. Whatever.

I'm waiting for the other party to release something before any upgrading (that and what I have currently is capable of playing anything fine).

If they are better (probably will be) then you can expect the 7000 series to cost less. If they aren't any better then more competition should lower prices too. Then again the waiting game never ends (unless you'r religion means you only buy AGP cards I suppose). :D

Debating if giving up GTX580 SLI for one of these would be wise.

I was thinking of waiting, but I made that mistake with sandy bridge waiting to see bulldozer.

After that ordeal I decided I dont care if whats comes out later is better, I wanna enjoy a new GPU now, not in 6 months time only to find out I still wanted the same thing all along.

yeah same here I've been holding off on the upgrade since November hoping the 7950 is more in my proven range. And at the rate of the delay nvidia might have something to offer

the 7850 is still to [H] for my resolution
I game at 1680 x 1050 so I'm waiting on the 7850

I am sure waiting. I only game at 1920x1200 so I don't really need the power of the 7970.

I gave 57 parking lot handjobs to pay for my 7970 and I do not regret it

I'm still waiting for the 7970 reports from the front line concerning driver support. Whats the point of having a 700 horsepower muscle car, if your going to fill it with low octane fuel and its going to run like crap.

With my 6950 not holding up to eyefinity as well as I would like, no waiting for me. First top of the line card I've purchased since my 9700pro when they first launched.

I'm waiting... and hoping I can afford one when they come out. I've loved my 6850 crossfire setup, but would love to be able to go lower power/ quieter with a single card, and still get better performance in eyefinity (especially with the extra VRAM... the 1 gb on the 6850s is limiting at that resolution.)

Edit: not sure I believe it, given the source (especially the kepler release stuff since if NV was that close to a release I can't imagine them saying NOTHING at CES), but:
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25519-radeon-hd-7950-comes-on-january-31st

I'm waiting. Kind of hoping we'd know more about Kepler to see if it was worth waiting another 2-3 months, but now with Kepler seemingly delayed I'm nearly certain I'll pull the trigger for a 7950. I'm hoping to play SWTOR, Shogun 2, and Skyrim with as much eye candy as possible.

One issue I'd appreciate info on is whether I should consider the 3gb version of the 7950. I've had my 5850 for a little over two years now and I'd like the 7950 to last about as long. I won't be going to a 1440p monitor or a multi-monitor setup. Would getting the 3gb version be more futureproof than 1.5gb or is it highly unlikely to ever make a difference for my resolution?

If you are not planning on going past 1920x1200 resolution, then you'd probably be fine with 1.5gb. Not many games pass that right now, and even if they do, drop AA a little and you're generally fine. If there's any chance you'll want to go up in res though to either eyefinity then I would get the 3gb though. I've really noticed the 1gb limit of my 6850 crossfire when playing on 3 displays.

I'm still waiting for the 7970 reports from the front line concerning driver support. Whats the point of having a 700 horsepower muscle car, if your going to fill it with low octane fuel and its going to run like crap.

And the highway patrol (devs) is making sure that you are not speeding on a 30mph (badly written engine code).

One issue I'd appreciate info on is whether I should consider the 3gb version of the 7950. I've had my 5850 for a little over two years now and I'd like the 7950 to last about as long. I won't be going to a 1440p monitor or a multi-monitor setup. Would getting the 3gb version be more futureproof than 1.5gb or is it highly unlikely to ever make a difference for my resolution?

Considering some high res. texture packs consume a LOT of memory, then yes, it could be a good thing to have more memory.

I'm waiting. I'm not impressed with the reference video port configuration on the 7970. I'll probably grab one of the first non-ref 3+gb 7970 or 7950 cards, that can drive 4-5-6 2560x1600 screens from a single card, without the need of a DP hub. I'd prefer something like 1 DL DVI and 4-5 mini-DP.

Probably a lot of people waiting right now and not by choice, there simply aren't enough 7970s to go around at this time. If the 7950 shows up in volume before the 7970s do, I would imagine a lot of people will pick them up just to have something newer and more powerful than what they already own.

I guess I'm struggling to see the point of waiting for the 7950. If the 3GB version hits at $449 as expected, there's only a $100 price difference.

At the point you're dropping $450 on a video card, it seems like tossing out another $100 to get the top of the line, and a month early to boot with no risk regarding an unlock, would be a no-brainer. Realistically if you're already able to drop $450 on a video card, you're probably able to drop $550.

I guess I had the same question about the 6950 vs. 6970 debate. The cheapest 6970s are $300 and the cheapest unlockable 6950s are $240. For $60 more, you don't have to worry about an unlock and overclocking to get 6970 performance.

I've got a brand new rig with an overclocked 2700K (upgrading from a AMD 1055t) and I'm sitting on crossfire'd 5770s. I'm mostly interested in playing Skyrim and SWTOR, and the 5770s are just not cutting it (especially with AMD's crappy Crossfire support lately), and for skyrim in particular with high quality texture packs, 1GB isn't enough.

I've been looking at GTX 570s, but most of the used 570s are 1.2GB, which seems a touch on the low side after Skyrim gets loaded down with beautiful textures. My dream answer came in the form of a used GTX 580 3GB for $380, but tragedy struck and the card was destroyed before it could be shipped. Now I'm stuck.

It's killing me to use the 5770s so I'm going back and forth and thinking, well I can just wait for the 7950. But if the 7950 is just $100 cheaper, it seems like I'm waiting and worrying and taking less performance for what amounts to a couple of nights out (or one night out if you live someplace expensive).

I guess it's easy to say it's just another $100, but since I haven't jumped yet on a 7970, it's obvious I'm not even listening to my own well-reasoned arguments ;)

I think I will be waiting for 6+ months. The answer depends on the 78xx cards, how much pricing on the 7950 drops by summer (if at all), and whether or not my unlocked 6950 is up to MWO.

dlphelan, I'm in a very similar situation. One additional consideration I have is that my current case can only accommodate a card up to about 9.75" and I was hoping a 7950 would fit. Your reasoning though about only paying another $100 for the 7970 is sound (and here in NYC the difference is honestly < 1 night out, but paying $550 for a video card just causes me to shudder, I've never paid even half that).

I'm still considering if I should just look for a used 2gb unlockable 6950 that's < 9.75".

Waiting on the (rumoured) Saphire 6G Flex model.

Yeah it'll be expensive, but I like the 6G & 6 screens option...

Still getting by on my 4890. Waiting for the 7950 and 7800 cards. Either one of those cards will offer great performance at a great price, or I'll just pick up the cheap 6970s as people jump to the 7900 series (Already seeing a bit of that happening, actually).

That said, I'm a bit tired of people whining about the $550 price. It's a fair price. People need to get over it. I mean, I sure as heck can't afford it, but heck, I'm not gonna complain about it like AMD owes me something.

Still getting by on my 4890. Waiting for the 7950 and 7800 cards. Either one of those cards will offer great performance at a great price, or I'll just pick up the cheap 6970s as people jump to the 7900 series (Already seeing a bit of that happening, actually).

That said, I'm a bit tired of people whining about the $550 price. It's a fair price. People need to get over it. I mean, I sure as heck can't afford it, but heck, I'm not gonna complain about it like AMD owes me something.

I remember the Hercules GF2 Ultra costing 600. People have clearly been spoiled with unlocking 6950s for under 250 =)

(on how I so badly wanted a "3D Prophet II Ultra" with that whopping 64MB of ram...)

With two 7970's having arrived today, I do not think I need to bother with waiting for the 7950 to be released.

im waiting for next gen nvidia. not impressed at all with the performance/price ratio for the 7xxx.

congrats on having over a grand to spend on gfx cards

Well there is also the new case, the water blocks, two or three radiators, a pump, and a reservoir. Unfortunately, I think its gonna be a bit more after all is said and done.

Well there is also the new case, the water blocks, two or three radiators, a pump, and a reservoir. Unfortunately, I think its gonna be a bit more after all is said and done.

Very nice dude- sounds like that'll be a killer setup when done.

Maybe. I don't even know if I care. The only thing I play is Skyrim, which I just stopped. I may graphics mod it down the road. My 5850 is just cutting it at 1920x1200 with 4x transparency AA in skyrim.

After that I'll play diablo 3 which I could probably run fine even on my work machine that has an 8800gtx. I don't know if I'd get much benefit from upgrading. I really enjoy the games I like, but I'm not easily amused so they're few and far between.

I've had 2 7970's sitting in my cart, twice now, finger ready to click the order button and I just couldn't do it. I can't justify $1100, and getting one would not only be slower than my 6970CF setup, it would still cost me another $150 after I sold them. So, I'm holding out for to see what team green has to offer, unless the 7950 is just a superstar.

I'm waiting for the 7870 since its at the top of my budget range.

However, i may just pick up a 2gb 6950 which is about $230 for me. Dunno if the 7870 will be worth the wait as it seems to replace the 6950 or 6970. If it's somewhat better at running bf3, then i will want to wait since it is about a month away now.

while all this 7000 series love is awesome -- I just don't have the cash. I game at 1920X1080 and I'm hoping to find an XFX 6950 2GB dual fan model on the for sale section sometime soon for a good price.

As soon as I can crossfire for 200 or less dollars is when I'll jump. Unless I magically start making more than 30 dollars an hour sometime soon I'll be happy with 6950 2GB CFX

I wanted to pull the trigger a few times but I'm disappointed with XFX dropping lifetime warranty on certain models...and they are the only AIB it seems that allows end-users to replace the heatsink without voiding the warranty. Not sure I can justify the extra $40 bucks a card they are charging for the DD BE.

Back