790i Raid Controller

JRW21

Gawd
Just set up a raid 0 array on my evga 790i ftw using two 64gb ssd's on XP Pro Sp3. The results are just terrible.

I am using a single identical drive in my dell inspiron 1720 and it delivers substantially better performance than TWO of these drives in raid 0 on my 790i.

Inspiron 1720 Single SSD
HDTune_Benchmark_OCZ_SOLID_SSD.png

790i Raid 0 (2) SSD's
oczraid0.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with the 790i controller? Is it a poor raid controller? Or, should I wipe my raid array and start over.

I've benched SSDs in the past with NVRAID controllers and they also exhibited the "shark tooth" benchmark results as well.

My recommendation: avoid NVRAID like the plague. :(

ICH10R is a much better - and consistent - alternative. That, or get yourself a decent PCI-e RAID controller card (doesn't necessarily have to be hardware-based, but make sure it's not PCI).

I guess I should have kept my p5q3, for the ich10r.

Well, unfortunately I am very unfamiliar with controller cards. What would be the best bang for the buck? I have an open pcie 16 and 1.

Well, the PCIE X1 will limit you to less than 250 MB/sec. But with your current results, I guess that would be a step up.;)

Raid 0 does not require a lot of controller overhead, so most of them should work fine.

Here is 3 of my drives into a Perc 5i controller.

3xssdreadtq8.jpg

Don

Are you booting from this array?

if not just go with OS software Raid.

Yes, I am booting from this array.

Don,
Very nice, that is what I was looking/hoping to see. However, NVRAID is a HUGE bottleneck it seems.

I may have to do some research on that perc 5i controller. Thanks!

If you are looking for a cheap but good controller I would check ebay. There are usually Dell PERC controllers for about 100 bucks there. Those have an Intel IOP controller, cache, but usually take up a PCIe x4 or x8 slot due to bandwidth needs. Just make sure that you aren't buying one of the external port only controllers. I believe the PERC controllers are actually made by Adaptec, but I could be wrong.

If you get one of the ones with Battery backup, you can safely turn on the enhanced write performance within windows as well, which will make it so the cache is used more effectively.

well, it looks like the perk 5i will not fit on my board. I don't have an pcie 8x slot.

Anyone recommend a good controller that runs on 16x?

well, it looks like the perk 5i will not fit on my board. I don't have an pcie 8x slot.

Anyone recommend a good controller that runs on 16x?

The perc 5/i will run in a PCI-E x16 slot. All PCI-E cards have to be compatible electrically from PCI-E x1 to PCI-E x16.

inside1.jpg

If you look closely, my Adaptec 31605 is plugged into my PCI-e x16 slot, despite it being a PCI-8 x8 physical connector; the card will still work as it will still function at 8x, electrically.

Very nice. I did not realize you could do that. Perc 5i it is then!

Anyone know a cheap source for the special sas to sata connector can be found?

I love DealExtreme, it's just a shame they take so long to get the goods (shipping from Hong Kong has its lagtime! :eek:)

I got mine here. I got it in like 2 days. I ordered the drives from Newegg, the controller from Ebay out of Texas, and the cable from here. The cable was the first to arrive.

Hmm, the half meter cable is showing out of stock, but the 1 meter one is showing in stock right now for just a bit more.

The only problem I have with the Perc 5i is the bios startup time. Any bootup savings from the SSDs will be lost to the Perc 5 bios. It takes about 20 seconds to recognise the array. That is an eternity when you are trying to reboot.

Make sure you order the Perc with a PCI adapter bracket, and the battery backup with cable. If you do not get the battery, it may generate an error that you will need to hit the any key to get past during startup depending on the firmware rev.

The other limitation to the Perc is cooling. It is meant to go into a server with airflow over the card. I had to twist tie a 40 mm fan over the heat sink. Works fine, it is just one more thing you need to consider when setting things up.

Don

Back