• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7870 Boots, but locks going into OS

quicksilver98

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
68
So I built this machine for a friend a week ago and he finally got his graphics card. When it was installed it wouldn't boot into windows, but would post and get to the loading screen for Windows 8. I've tested the components and they all work. If you boot the machine off of just the HD4000 it's works flawlessly.. I've check for bios settings and told the machine to Initialize the PCIE slot first...

I've tried the following troubleshooting scenarios-

1. I booted the machine with no video card into windows successfully

2. I booted with the AMD 7870 installed and it posts and shows the windows 8 loading screen then the machine locks.

3. I tried an known working AMD 7850 in the machine and booted with the same outcome as 2.

4. I then tried using a 5450 AMD card in the machine and booted with the same outcome as 2 and 3.


The system is as follows -
i5 3570K
Asus P8Z77-V LK
2X4GB Corsair DDR3 1866
XFX 7870 Double Dissipation
Corsair HX 650
Xigmatek Gia with 2 Corsair 120MM SP120 Performance Fans
 
reset bios settings to default, or see if maybe you can install catalyst before installing the card. Just 2 idea's id try
 
I'm wondering if your power supply is weakened and on its way out. Kinda makes sense. Cpu not getting volt because of the gpu.
 
Power supply was tested and is running perfectly. I also tried the BIOS reset and that didn't help either. I am going to try to re-install the OS with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.
 
Have you tried removing catalyst and booting with one of the known working video cards installed (with no video drivers)? That should pretty much rule out if it's a driver issue.

If it still fails to boot then I'd suspect power supply, considering it's freezing right as windows loads. I know you tested it, did that include trying it in a similar speced system?
 
Power supply was tested and is running perfectly. I also tried the BIOS reset and that didn't help either. I am going to try to re-install the OS with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.

Oh yeah? How exactly did you load test it?
 
disable onboard video in BIOS
Boot into safe mode
Delete PCI Bus
Reboot and let windows install drivers

If machine refuses to boot after that, replace PSU with a larger one.
 
Back
Top