7800x3D incoming! Need some advice

bizzmeister

2[H]4U
Hey guys!

Just got confirmation of pickup tomorrow from Best Buy.

Very excited, been on i5 10600k for far too long now. First time stepping back into AMD land in maybe 13 years ??

Either way, like I said, very excited but had a few questions.

What motherboard do you recommend for $200 to $340

Also, which 32GB ram set would you get ?

Thinking about sticking this all into an NZXT H1 ( gen 2 ) hoping the AIO that the NZXT H1 has built in is good enough.

This will be used for 1440p gaming. Undecided on GPU, still have my little cute EVGA 3060Ti but will def go big now that I’ve secured this CPU.

Thanks for your input!

-Bizz

Same processor as you- I started off with a gigabyte x670 elite which gave me troubles, it was an open box, but then again, the problem was mainly only documented amongst gigabyte boards.

I replaced it with an MSI B650 Tomahawk and am quite happy with it, it ran me $239

Here is an AM5 spreadsheet that gets circulated online:
AM5 Motherboards Google Spreadsheet

Make sure to verify before you buy. It has had some inaccuracies in the past.

Unless you are planning only AMD official JEDEC RAM running at 5200, I recommend getting SK Hynix RAM even if you have no intention of overclocking. Samsung and Micron RAM are lower quality in the DDR5 market. AM5 currently has problems running lower quality RAM even at normal XMP/EXPO settings above 5200. People generally recommend 6000 since even on the best motherboards and best RAM it becomes more difficult to run stable above 6000 without lots of adjusting and testing.

Fastest 32GB 6000 available? (and also SK Hynix)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=32768002&S=6000&TT=300-360-360-760

But I got the second fastest 32GB 6000 available because I prefer low-profile RGB-less, which the G.Skill Flare offers. The above ones are huge RGB monsters.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=32768002&S=6000&TT=300-380-380-960

Some people also prefer to get the lowest latency 5600 and overclock to 6000, supposedly with not a lot of effort. Personally I didn't want to risk an unstable overclock. Of course you might want to be super safe and follow the motherboard QVL. Some RAM makers like G.Skill have their own QVL too (which I followed), but obviously they are more biased. MB makers don't appear to be updating their memory QVLs very often / expansively, so who knows how much good stable/performing RAM is missing from those lists :(

Last edited:
Same processor as you- I started off with a gigabyte x670 elite which gave me troubles, it was an open box, but then again, the problem was mainly only documented amongst gigabyte boards.

I replaced it with an MSI B650 Tomahawk and am quite happy with it, it ran me $239

Thank you for the bit of info. Will avoid gigabyte for now.

Here is an AM5 spreadsheet that gets circulated online:
AM5 Motherboards Google Spreadsheet

Make sure to verify before you buy. It has had some inaccuracies in the past.

Unless you are planning only AMD official JEDEC RAM running at 5200, I recommend getting SK Hynix RAM even if you have no intention of overclocking. Samsung and Micron RAM are lower quality in the DDR5 market. AM5 currently has problems running lower quality RAM even at normal XMP/EXPO settings above 5200. People generally recommend 6000 since even on the best motherboards and best RAM it becomes more difficult to run stable above 6000 without lots of adjusting and testing.

Fastest 32GB 6000 available? (and also SK Hynix)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=32768002&S=6000&TT=300-360-360-760

But I got the second fastest 32GB 6000 available because I prefer low-profile RGB-less, which the G.Skill Flare offers. The above ones are huge RGB monsters.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=32768002&S=6000&TT=300-380-380-960

Some people also prefer to get the lowest latency 5600 and overclock to 6000, supposedly with not a lot of effort. Personally I didn't want to risk an unstable overclock. Of course you might want to be super safe and follow the motherboard QVL. Some makers like G.Skill have their own QVL too (which I followed), but obviously they are more biased. MB makers don't appear to be updating their memory QVLs very often / expansively, so who knows how much good stable/performing RAM is missing from those lists :(

Really appreciate all this info. Will do a deep dive tomorrow. So I’m guessing AMD’s version of XMP in bios for the ram is EXPO ?

Didn’t know that.

I don’t plan on over clocking at all outside setting the ram to the high xmp/expo setting once and for all and just getting to the gaming stuff.

Any X670E board. Feature set will determine which is good. My pick would be either an ASUS or MSI. Asrock also makes decent boards especially for X670E versions.
G Skill 6000 MHz ram preferably CL30, 32 over CL36.
AIO get anything that is 360 MM with high airflow fans. Proc runs very cool so won't be much of an issue.

You can get away with any B650E boards if you're looking for PCIE 5.0 for both graphics or storage.
Just pick the one with the best aftersales services and features set. This one is the cheapest yet not too shabby:

https://pokde.net/review/asrock-b650e-pg-riptide-wifi-review

Or some of the standard B650 boards that provide 1 ea of 4x PCIE 5.0 for storage (better feature set than B550 chipset of AM4), like Asrock B650M HDV/M2 can hold 7950x and have the fastest boot time compared to the other AM5 boards:

Any X670E board. Feature set will determine which is good. My pick would be either an ASUS or MSI. Asrock also makes decent boards especially for X670E versions.
G Skill 6000 MHz ram preferably CL30, 32 over CL36.
AIO get anything that is 360 MM with high airflow fans. Proc runs very cool so won't be much of an issue.

Thanks for the info, is the X670 series the latest and greatest made for the 7800 series stuff? So damn confusing with this B650 / X670E stuff.

I think for sure it'll be ASUS or MSI as far as the brand of the board goes. As far as ram goes, id like to get a nice set that i can just turn on AMD version XMP, let it overclock itself and go game. I wanted to do the NZXT H1 case, i know the AIO is MUCH smaller than that. Maybe even a 120 or 140. I wont be overclocking the CPU at all though. Nice to hear it runs cool.

You can get away with any B650E boards if you're looking for PCIE 5.0 for both graphics or storage.
Just pick the one with the best aftersales services and features set. This one is the cheapest yet not too shabby:

https://pokde.net/review/asrock-b650e-pg-riptide-wifi-review

Or some of the standard B650 boards that provide 1 ea of 4x PCIE 5.0 for storage (better feature set than B550 chipset of AM4), like Asrock B650M HDV/M2 can hold 7950x and have the fastest boot time compared to the other AM5 boards:

Thank you, id like to get the latest and greatest mobo features like PCI-E 5.0 for storage and drives, just to kinda future proof for the upcoming stuff. Id definitely like a very fast boot time to. Are boards that different with boot times? Crazy.

G.Skill Flare X5 memory and Asus Strix motherboard

Will check those out tonight to, thank you for the input!

X670E allows for higher number of PCIe 5.0 lanes. It is important if you want to throw in a bunch of PCIe 5.0 or even PCIe 4.0 storage. For me this is a priority and hence an X670E would be least that I pick (I have more than 1 PCIe 4.0 drive). For others a B650E should be enough.

RAM just buy anything G Skill and check motherboard manufacturers QVL list to know if ram will work with proper XMP profile.

Thank you, id like to get the latest and greatest mobo features like PCI-E 5.0 for storage and drives, just to kinda future proof for the upcoming stuff. Id definitely like a very fast boot time to. Are boards that different with boot times? Crazy.
Well then, X670E it is.
Well yes there are still differences between each board regarding boot times, so just pick up the board with the most features you need, for the boot time you can search the review (usually HWU compares those).

I could not get my X670E Steel Legend and 7800X3D to work. Tried some of the additional troubleshooting steps ASRock recommended (fast response from them at least - so good on their support team), but eventually reached a point where remaining troubleshooting would just try to confirm *what* was wrong with the board rather than if there was something wrong, and also wouldn't rule out the CPU.

So I went ahead and ordered a MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi. Maybe I just got a dud Steel Legend, but obviously want to try something different now. Here is my reasoning for selecting this new one:
- 6600 top QVL on memory (hopefully indicates 6000 should be less of a problem).
- Although specifically the Flare version of the RAM I have was not on MSI's memory QVL, the Trident version was.
- 8 layer PCB.
- Realtek 2.5GB NIC (to avoid hardware-level problems of Intel 2.5GB NIC and the current problems of the Marvell 10GB NIC, which is unknown if hardware and/or software).
- Just released board, so hopefully they have made some optimizations compared to the first round of AM5 boards.
- Includes the latest BIOS by default without having to pre-flash for X3D support.
- MSI is already on latest 1.0.0.6 AGESA along with GB and ASUS.
- No risk of widespread Gigabyte coil whine.
- For the limited boards they tested, Hardware Unboxed shows MSI's latest performance numbers at top, trading blows with Gigabyte and ASRock.
- MSI appears to allow "eclk"-based overclocking on all their 600 series boards - since that is likely what that new "enhanced boost" mode involves. This is one of the only effective ways to get overclocked performance out of an X3D chip. Not sure if I will try it or not. ASrock requires Taichi for eclk. ASUS requires Crosshair or specific Strix models.
- A 20Gb Type C port. All the USB4 boards have Intel/Marvel NICs :mad:
- I would have liked the Q-Code on the MPG Carbon, but the PCIE layout is not compatible with the external fan on my Lian Li 216 - with the big cost on top of that.
- Oh and the MSI PRO X670-P Wifi does not have an integrated I/O shield. Have not had good experience with non-integrated in the past.

Compared to the Steel Legend, losing the integrated GPU Holder and some extra USB ports I do not need, but you get an extra 10Gb Type C port on the Tomahawk.

Will see what happens...hopefully the problem is not something else.

Last edited:
Well then, X670E it is.
Well yes there are still differences between each board regarding boot times, so just pick up the board with the most features you need, for the boot time you can search the review (usually HWU compares those).

I also just realized that there isn’t many options in the mini-itx field for the X670E boards. I really want to do a SFF build.

I could not get my X670E Steel Legend and 7800X3D to work. Tried some of the additional troubleshooting steps ASRock recommended (fast response from them at least - so good on their support team), but eventually reached a point where remaining troubleshooting would just try to confirm *what* was wrong with the board rather than if there was something wrong, and also wouldn't rule out the CPU.

So I went ahead and ordered a MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi. Maybe I just got a dud Steel Legend, but obviously want to try something different now. Here is my reasoning for selecting this new one:
- 6600 top QVL on memory (hopefully indicates 6000 should be less of a problem).
- Although specifically the Flare version of the RAM I have was not on MSI's memory QVL, the Trident version was.
- 8 layer PCB.
- Realtek 2.5GB NIC (to avoid hardware-level problems of Intel 2.5GB NIC and the current problems of the Marvell 10GB NIC, which is unknown if hardware and/or software).
- Just released board, so hopefully they have made some optimizations compared to the first round of AM5 boards.
- Includes the latest BIOS by default without having to pre-flash for X3D support.
- For the limited boards they tested, Hardware Unboxed shows MSI's latest performance numbers at top, trading blows with Gigabyte and ASRock.
- MSI appears to allow "eclk"-based overclocking on all their 600 series boards - since that is likely what that new "enhanced boost" mode involves. This is one of the only effective ways to get overclocked performance out of an X3D chip. Not sure if I will try it or not. ASrock requires Taichi for eclk. ASUS requires Crosshair or specific Strix models.
- I would have liked the Q-Code on the MPG Carbon, but the PCIE layout is not compatible with the external fan on my Lian Li 216 - with the big cost on top of that.
- Oh and the MSI PRO X670-P Wifi does not have an integrated I/O shield. Have not had good experience with non-integrated in the past.

Compared to the Steel Legend, losing the integrated GPU Holder and some extra USB ports I do not need, but you get an extra 10Gb Type C port on the Tomahawk.

Thanks for sharing that bud. Sorry you had to go through all that bullshit. Hopefully your new board gets you up and running perfectly.

I myself just realized I have may an issue when it comes to options available for boards for myself.

So I’d like a X670E board but in Mini-ITX. Not many options from what I can tell. Any recommendations guys?

I also just realized that there isn’t many options in the mini-itx field for the X670E boards. I really want to do a SFF build.
Asus Strix X670E-I or just like I said previously, B650E chipset with Strix ITX series will be good enough (it has 1 ea 16x PCIE 5.0 for graphics and 1 ea 4x PCIE 5.0 for storage).

Asus Strix X670E-I or just like I said previously, B650E chipset with Strix ITX series will be good enough (it has 1 ea 16x PCIE 5.0 for graphics and 1 ea 4x PCIE 5.0 for storage).
Thanks bud! Will check those out. Appreciate your help!

Just for reference, the first consumer motherboard chipset and first consumer GPU that supported PCIe Gen 4 were released in July 2019. The Nvidia RTX 4090 just barely uses all of PCIe Gen 3 bandwidth when it is at 100% max workload. It is barely using any of the added bandwidth of PCIe Gen 4. So for mainstream GPUs it will likely be a while before they even begin to use PCIe Gen 5 bandwidth. And SSD performance does not appear to be changing much from one gen to the next. Not saying there is not legitimate reasons to buy PCIe Gen 5, but just something to keep in mind when weighing against non-Gen5 options that are available.

- 8 layer PCB.

Thanks for posting this. The Steel Legend came up for back order on Newegg and I just cancelled it as I was planning on running it with my 7800X3D.

Thanks for posting this. The Steel Legend came up for back order on Newegg and I just cancelled it as I was planning on running it with my 7800X3D.
Not verified if it is the problem, but my new MB arrives tomorrow. Will let you know if it makes a difference or if I have to continue troubleshooting. But I am seeing a growing number of posts on Reddit with people on low/midrange ASRock boards unable to POST with their new 7800X3D build. I am beginning to wonder if there is an issue with the current BIOS where it works if you previously already booted up with a non-7800X3D (X3D or non-X3D) before and now you are just changing CPUs, but for some reason it is not working when using a 7800X3D on a brand new build.

Just wanted to post this on here for others who are in the same boat as me and were confused by AMD's tiers of motherboards. Taken from https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-x670e-vs-x670-vs-b650e-vs-b650-2361/

================================================

IMG_3737.jpeg

"
AMD has done a good job segmenting these four chipsets, with clear benefits to each. You can probably draw your own conclusions from the information we've presented so far, but if you want my analysis of who the different chipsets are appropriate for – here you go:

X670 Extreme – This top-end option is for users who want support for future PCI-Express 5.0 capable graphics cards. This chipset is likely to be found on all of the top-end motherboards tailored for PC enthusiasts and workstation users.

X670 – If you don't need a full compliment of PCIe 5.0 lanes, but still want a lot of fast USB ports and SATA drive connections, the normal X670 should do the trick. It does still support one fast, NVMe Gen 5 SSD as well.

B650 Extreme – This is a bit of a paradox, being an "extreme" version of a more mid-range chipset, but it might be popular with enthusiast-focused boards that are limited on space or price. It gets the same level of PCIe 5.0 support that X670 Extreme has, just with a reduced number of PCIe 4.0 lanes and USB / SATA ports.

B650 – For the time being this will be the most affordable chipset option supporting Ryzen 7000, but even if a lower model comes out I suspect this will be a popular choice for compact micro ATX and ITX motherboards. It is perfect for those who want the latest AMD CPUs and DDR5 memory, but who aren't concerned about support for bleeding-edge PCIe 5.0 devices."

Last edited:
Installed the MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi.

- Initial BIOS dated Feb 10, without official support of X3D CPUs. Whoever said that it included X3D-supporting BIOS by default was wrong.
- Initial BIOS still POSTed with 7800X3D.
- Updated BIOS after POST - no issues.
- EXPO was disabled by default. Enabled it and it worked with no issues.
- MSI Driver Utility Installer enabled by default (downloads drivers through Windows Update). Disabled before installing windows.
- Memory Context Restore enabled by default. Disabled to ensure initial/maximum stability.
- Remember to download latest AMD Chipset drivers after windows update completes.
- Unfortunately, MSI only offers manual eCLK overclocking with the expensive MEG series. I have not yet tried their automatic CPU & Memory "boost" mode, that may or may not be auto-eCLK overclocking, to see how it affects performance and stability.
- I timed boot time once after updating BIOS/windows/drivers. With MCR/Fast Boot off, starting at 100% powered off and pressing the power button on the case, it took 47 seconds to reach the windows login screen.

Have not tried any gaming or in-depth monitoring or testing yet. But so far everything is working good - looking like the problem was the motherboard.

- Initial BIOS dated Feb 10, without official support of X3D CPUs. Whoever said that it included X3D-supporting BIOS by default was wrong.
- MSI Driver Utility Installer enabled by default (downloads drivers through Windows Update). Disabled before installing windows.
- Memory Context Restore enabled by default. Disabled to ensure initial/maximum stability.
- Remember to download latest AMD Chipset drivers after windows update completes.
- Unfortunately, MSI only offers manual eCLK overclocking with the expensive MEG series. I have not yet tried their automatic CPU & Memory "boost" mode, that may or may not be auto-eCLK overclocking, to see how it affects performance and stability.
- I timed boot time once after updating BIOS/windows/drivers. With MCR/Fast Boot off, starting at 100% powered off and pressing the power button on the case, it took 47 seconds to reach the windows login screen.

Have not tried any gaming or in-depth monitoring or testing yet. But so far everything is working good - looking like the problem was the motherboard.
Agree with KickAssCop Tomahawk boards are great. Have had them for AMD and have one with Intel ATM.

Honestly, I would shy away from overclocking the the 7800X3D unless you know, exactly, what you're doing. Turn on PBO and let it go (make sure your Fabric speeds are 1:1 as well ).

Agree with KickAssCop Tomahawk boards are great. Have had them for AMD and have one with Intel ATM.

Honestly, I would shy away from overclocking the the 7800X3D unless you know, exactly, what you're doing. Turn on PBO and let it go (make sure your Fabric speeds are 1:1 as well ).
Can you elaborate on the fabric speed being 1:1? I haven't been able to find much info on that being recommended (6000mhz ram)

Can you elaborate on the fabric speed being 1:1? I haven't been able to find much info on that being recommended (6000mhz ram)
In theory the Fabric should be capable of 1:1 timings with DDR5 6000 according to AMD.

FYI - It's called FCLK Frequency in the BIOS (typically)

If your Fabric Clock is 1:2 that means it's gonna cut your ram Speed in half. The fabric speed is the frequency at which the AMD chips communicate. I am certain someone will pop on to correct me... But that's a basic description of what it does. 1:1 is what you want.

You can probably squeeze more performance out of the chip using the Curve Optimizer which is effectively undervolting the chip to gain more thermal headroom. This is an old video from the AMD 5000 series but it should give you the jist of what it does

Why is it taking 47 seconds to get to windows ? That’s crazy to me. Or am I being nuts?

I feel like my i5 10600k build that’s years old now gets to windows in under 15 seconds ??

Why is it taking 47 seconds to get to windows ? That’s crazy to me. Or am I being nuts?

I feel like my i5 10600k build that’s years old now gets to windows in under 15 seconds ??
It's probably RAM Training and all the extra shit that goes hand in hand with DDR5. There are more checks and things with DDR5 than DDR4

Takes me a while to get to Windows on the Z790 Platform even with DDR4, but I'm also pushing my system to the limit of it's Gear 1 Speed.

Probably all the extra shit that is jammed into these boards as well. The complexity has "leveled up" from previous generations. That's just my speculation though

Everything prior to my Experiences with AMD's 7000 series and Intel's 13th Gen posted to windows blazing fast.

Last edited:
It's probably RAM Training and all the extra shit that goes hand in hand with DDR5. There are more checks and things with DDR5 than DDR4

Takes me a while to get to Windows on the Z790 Platform even with DDR4, but I'm also pushing my system to the limit of it's Gear 1 Speed.

Probably all the extra shit that is jammed into these boards as well. The complexity has "leveled up" from previous generations. That's just my speculation though

Everything prior to my Experiences with AMD's 7000 series and Intel's 13th Gen posted to windows blazing fast.

Damn man, but yah, I’m used to getting to windows 11 blazing fast.

Is this not a thing anymore ? With all our new hardware ?

Damn man, but yah, I’m used to getting to windows 11 blazing fast.

Is this not a thing anymore ? With all our new hardware ?
Yeah, when I was playing with the AMD 7000 series the post times were inordinately slow. I think most of it was related to RAM training. Especially with EXPO enabled. I was possibly working with a busted CPU though. My experience with Intel 13th gen has been slower boot times as well. But not as bad as the AMD ones I saw from 7000 series.

They may boot slower but they sure as hell run a lot faster once they're up.

Yeah, when I was playing with the AMD 7000 series the post times were inordinately slow. I think most of it was related to RAM training. Especially with EXPO enabled. I was possibly working with a busted CPU though. My experience with Intel 13th gen has been slower boot times as well. But not as bad as the AMD ones I saw from 7000 series.

They may boot slower but they sure as hell run a lot faster once they're up.

I guess I’ll have to get used to it. Pretty annoyed to find out though.

Another guy on here mentioned that x670e boots faster than the b or a series. So damn confusing.

Another guy on here mentioned that x670e boots faster than the b or a series. So damn confusing.

47 seconds is definitely long. I'm sure my B650 can get into Windows in less than half that time. I'll check it out when I'm home.

In theory the Fabric should be capable of 1:1 timings with DDR5 6000 according to AMD.

FYI - It's called FCLK Frequency in the BIOS (typically)

If your Fabric Clock is 1:2 that means it's gonna cut your ram Speed in half. The fabric speed is the frequency at which the AMD chips communicate. I am certain someone will pop on to correct me... But that's a basic description of what it does. 1:1 is what you want.

You can probably squeeze more performance out of the chip using the Curve Optimizer which is effectively undervolting the chip to gain more thermal headroom. This is an old video from the AMD 5000 series but it should give you the jist of what it does

So I did some more reading and not to prove you wrong, but just to add to the conversation, it appears that the 1:1 ratio may not apply with ryzen 7000 series, at least according to this link.

What are your thoughts on this? I have been out of the OC game since before my last build which was in 2014, which I left stock. I don't think I've cared about OCing a computer at all since 2010 or earlier. A lot has changed! I don't care to fully min/max, but if there are simple tunings that will achieve improvement, I'm all in.

So far I've got PBO and XMP on, and while the curve optimizer always crashes my computer in ryzen master, I've just gone into the bios and set all cores at -10 which seems to be holding steady. I've also done a minor OC on my 7900xtx in the Adrenaline software, which also seems to be stable.

zen4guide_slide_3.png

So I did some more reading and not to prove you wrong, but just to add to the conversation, it appears that the 1:1 ratio may not apply with ryzen 7000 series, at least according to this link.

What are your thoughts on this? I have been out of the OC game since before my last build which was in 2014, which I left stock. I don't think I've cared about OCing a computer at all since 2010 or earlier. A lot has changed! I don't care to fully min/max, but if there are simple tunings that will achieve improvement, I'm all in.

So far I've got PBO and XMP on, and while the curve optimizer always crashes my computer in ryzen master, I've just gone into the bios and set all cores at -10 which seems to be holding steady. I've also done a minor OC on my 7900xtx in the Adrenaline software, which also seems to be stable.
Yup, AM5's fclk right now is limited to 2167mhz, and even running on that speed, sometimes the system will become unstable.
So if you find your current setting is stable, just use XMP or EXPO profile and leave it be as 7800x3d didn't require further tuning to your ram.

You can try running your motherboard's Fast Boot option - it might work fine for you. But a lot of people are still having stability issues with that enabled on AM5 - not a certainty though I don't think. Also, check out the various Hardware Unboxed AM5 motherboard roundup videos, including the one reviewing the new cheap ASRock b650 board. Gigabyte and ASRock consistently have faster boot times than ASUS and MSI. One of the reasons I tried the ASRock Steel Legend first - it is still possible I just got a dud with that motherboard.

Well, I’ll research those videos you guys are recommending and hopefully put it all together after a visit to micro center Sunday morning.

Hopefully they have all the latest and greatest am5 stuff in stock. All I have my hands on right now is the 7800x3D itself and my monitor I’ll continue to use with this new build.

I’m also leaning towards the 7900XTX now. It’ll also be my first amd Gpu since the 5700 or was it 5800 ?? Days

Heard nothing but good things about the card. It’ll be paired with my 27” 1440p ASUS 165hz ips

Back