7800GTX doesn't fit into K8N Neo4 SLI/Platinum!?

GodSpeed

Limp Gawd
Apparently the capacitors on the motheroard are in the way of the HSF fan plugin on the 7800GTX cards, preventing them from sliding into the slot properly. This only applies to the second PCI-E X16 slot though, so you can still use a single 7800GTX in the first PCI-E slot.
This also applies to the K8N Neo 4 Platinum, though in that case you won't be able to use a 7800GTX at all.

Can anyone confirm this? I have a K8N 4 Platinum MOBO but I really want a 7800GTX and this could really ruin my day.

You can fit the card by slightly tilting the capacitor with very minimal risk.

I just received my BFG 7800GTX from Dell and it fit like OJ's glove on my MSI K8N NEO4 SLI Platinum..without moving any capicitors.

Vader said:
I just received my BFG 7800GTX from Dell and it fit like OJ's glove on my MSI K8N NEO4 SLI Platinum..without moving any capicitors.

As the first post said, the problem only exists on the Neo4 Platinum (nf4 ultra, one PCIE) or the bottem slot only on the SLI board. Your 7800GTX in the top slot would be perfectly fine, but you will have a cap in the way if you try to SLI it.

so you have to bend a cap to fit in the 7800GTX in a neo4 plat?

wtf gives, the heatsink it's even that big...what happens when the ultra 7xxx comes out?

It's not the heatsink, afaik, just the HSF power connector (the little white plug on the card). I test fitted a 6800GTOC in the bottom SLi slot last night, and it's really silly how little you have to tilt the cap to get it to fit in without interfering. Not a big deal IMHO

well seeing as the OP only said he was getting one 7800gtx I don't even see why this is an issue.

MikeDeuce said:
It's not the heatsink, afaik, just the HSF power connector (the little white plug on the card). I test fitted a 6800GTOC in the bottom SLi slot last night, and it's really silly how little you have to tilt the cap to get it to fit in without interfering. Not a big deal IMHO

Correct, it is just the fan header, not the actual heatsink. However, I wish I realised it was that easy to correct. I wasn't aware how much the cap was in the way, if I realised just a small bit of bending fixed it I may be using that board now. I plan to SLI two 7800GTX's in the future....and that was the deciding factor between the Asus SLI Platinum vs the MSI SLI board. Ah well, I like this board alot anyways.

so to be clear, a single 7800GTX does or does not fix a neo 4 plat (non-SLI)

Bending the capacitor will fix the problem. After MSI was made aware of the issue they went with a different sized capacitor that should be on motherboards if you were to purchase one today. Since it sounds like you are using the older revision, just bend the capacitor and you'll be ok. Now gimmie your 7800GTX. :)

jsn117 said:
so to be clear, a single 7800GTX does or does not fix a neo 4 plat (non-SLI)
The non-SLI board only have two capacitors near the 16x PCI-E slot. It's the third capacitor on the SLI board that causes the problem.

13-130-487-02.JPG

13-130-484-02.JPG

It will fit the non-SLI board just fine without any adjustment.

Back