7800 GTX Simple Cooling Mod

Very impressive results for such an inexpensive and simple mod!

DejaWiz said:
Very impressive results for such an inexpensive and simple mod!

Extremely! I thought it was BS but I had the HS/Fan lying around and said WTF! I could not beleive the results.

Mnx4 said:
Why not? They're the same size HSF aren't they?

Just try it. The removal of the HS cover is very easy, just take out a few small screws. Then see if the fan will fit onto the cards hs. Simple, no?

My 7800GTX was just delivered at my apartment.. I'm going to do this before I put it in, was having trouble with the 6800GT staying really hot.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bosom said:
My 7800GTX was just delivered at my apartment.. I'm going to do this before I put it in, was having trouble with the 6800GT staying really hot.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You may want to do a before and after temp comparison using RivaTuner's hardware monitor. You won't believe the difference. ;)

yea, i'd expect this. GPU's and CPU's don't have that much difference in heat production. The thing is keeping it from bending the card! That's why GPU coolers are so much smaller than CPU ones. GJ on the mod though.

edit: oops, I thought you were putting a CPU heatsink on too. That would certainly help if it fit. But yea, I suppose a much bigger fan than stock works too.

Next step: 120mm fan....

My temps right now with the stuff all out on a mobo tray on the floor (I run it ghetto under my desk without a case...woot) is 40C idle and about 45-48 loaded. This is with normal not too hot not too cold room temp. When it gets even colder in here, I see it idling at 37C. :cool:

I should also mention this is overclocked to 433 core and 948 memory.

Nice Results dood. Does anyone think this willw ork on a standard CPU fan? putting another one on top?

im getting a BFG 7800GTX soon, so i'll have to try that out. best bang for the buck mod :)

I did my own mod ... took a pci slot cover.... and my coolermaster blue led 80mm fan... superglue i to the cover... ...and it blows air directly to my 6800ultra.. dropped temps by 6-7 degrees celsius...

Nice Results dood. Does anyone think this willw ork on a standard CPU fan? putting another one on top?

He and I didn't put another heatsink on top...I (and I assume he did also) put a second AMD 60 mm fan screwed into the stock heatsink next to the main fan. So two (dual) fans total.

ShuttleLuv said:
He and I didn't put another heatsink on top...I (and I assume he did also) put a second AMD 60 mm fan screwed into the stock heatsink next to the main fan. So two (dual) fans total.

Yeah I meant another fan on top of the stock fan on the HS. Does anyone know how well that performs? If theres a noticeable difference?

I did this with my 6800ultra and 80mm fan... dropped 6-7 degrees on the core for me :p

Thats not that bad. I think ill try it with my CPU and post the results, remember this is stock HSF. Although I might just wait for my XP-120 to come in :p

tried it with my useless fan from the 3700+ and it works great!
i didnt short the temp sensor but it still manage to lower from 83 to 71!
ill keep it that way since it very satisfactory result and low noise impact only

I went ahead and put the stock fan off my 3200+ on with zip ties.. it looks kind of funny, I'll post pics after work late tonight.. and it's a bit loud with the temp sensor on the fan, but it pushes a lot of air.. I'm keeping it, and looking for another fan to put on my 6800GT too.

On another note... man it's an impressive video card.. it's really smooth at 1600*1200.

Looks like a great idea to me. Simple enough and the price is right - just a fan and a couple of tie straps.

Bosom said:
I went ahead and put the stock fan off my 3200+ on with zip ties.. it looks kind of funny, I'll post pics after work late tonight.. and it's a bit loud with the temp sensor on the fan, but it pushes a lot of air.. I'm keeping it, and looking for another fan to put on my 6800GT too.

On another note... man it's an impressive video card.. it's really smooth at 1600*1200.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but the onboard fan started to sound VERY loud after the mod so I went ahead and disconnected it! No more annoying little fan. now everyting is cool and quiet. :D

acroig said:
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but the onboard fan started to sound VERY loud after the mod so I went ahead and disconnected it! No more annoying little fan. now everyting is cool and quiet. :D

Hmm.. I guess there is really no need for the video card's fan, since I put the other one on.. I'll disconnect it and see if it makes it more quiet.

Bosom said:
Hmm.. I guess there is really no need for the video card's fan, since I put the other one on.. I'll disconnect it and see if it makes it more quiet.

It did on mine. ;)

Man, i did that on mine, and got a nice 20 C drop on loads and 15 idle! :eek: unbelieveable....

Seufari said:
Could someone take some pictures of this mod... It sounds really cool...

If you follow the link on the first post you shall find what you seek! :D

Yeah but if you tried looking at the rest of the thread you would have found this in page 2:

IMG_1721.jpg

Here, I took a fan and kinda angled it so its blowing cool air (from the side panel fan) on the bridge and video card. My temps stayed under 53 after 30min of game play and an OC'd card. Ghetto--yes. Effective--yup! :p

Really just messing with it but it works...kinda liked the idea of the mod HS idea but cant mod BFG easily without removing screws and stuff.

i did something similiar to my 6800gt took off the cover to the heat sink, which was keeping heat in, and added a fan to it, got it down to 51c from 58-60c. added a lil As5, and now clocked at 400/1100

Pkirk618 said:
Here, I took a fan and kinda angled it so its blowing cool air (from the side panel fan) on the bridge and video card. My temps stayed under 53 after 30min of game play and an OC'd card. Ghetto--yes. Effective--yup! :p

Really just messing with it but it works...kinda liked the idea of the mod HS idea but cant mod BFG easily without removing screws and stuff.

Well i modded my BFG 6800 GT oc, it was to damn hot at 60c stock idle, got upto 70c+ load. so i had to take mine off, i have the twin fan on it. that thing does nothing but keep heat in.. gotta get a bigger fan for mine.

Back