780 GTX overclock results

Just an update with my OCing (re: evga 780 SC (non-acx))

Seems like my core doesn't like anything above +90, even with all 3 extra voltage increments. Heat is not an issue as 85% fan speed keeps temps below 70c. Beyond that, memory goes as far as +225 before performance numbers start dropping. I reduced the memory to +150 as the performance gain between that and 225 seems negligible.

A little disappointed that voltage doesn't help increase core but can't really complain. Already at or above titan performance.

FYI for you or anyone else in this thread posting offset numbers, please don't do that, its meaningless when comparing different model cards. One card may have a base boost clock of 900 and another with 1000 so +90 offset doesn't tell me much when you're comparing boost clocks on two different cards. All that matters is your final boost clock speed which can measure under load. Offsets values are irrelevent and not useful.

I might be a little rusty when it comes to overclocking, but what side effects are you experiencing when going too high. On my SLI setup I am either working okay or the computer just restarts unexpectedly. I am wondering if I am bumping into some other kind of limit. On my last video card my game might crash, get artifacts, or something along those lines.

If its restarting unexepectedly, are you sure power supply is up to the task?

For those who plan to not play around with voltage, can you please post your successful clocks?

So far I am on +100 for core and +150 for memory. Seems OK so far.

Offset clocks are meaningless, if you want to compare yours to others, post your actual boost clocks.

Pretty big difference from my Radeon 7950, surprisingly clocked at almost the same speeds. On average I am getting 28-36% higher framerates.

These are my game stable clocks, benchmarking I can go a little higher. Currently have an Evga 780 GTX SC with ACX cooler and TI BIOS

aJT2F79.jpg

FuQ4mN6.jpg

The most I can squeeze out of this card is, 1163 boost and 1777 on the memory (game stable). This is with the stock bios.

Stock 780 sc acx 3dmark11:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6677398

Oc'ed to mentioned clocks 3dmark11:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6703849

Stock fire strike:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/514046

Oc'ed fire strike:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/529101

Heaven valley at stock: 67.0 fps.
yMX5A3Sl.jpg

Oc'ed heaven valley: 74.6 fps.
odbbAutl.jpg

Just for comparison, two dc2 660 ti's in sli, running at 1241/1228 boost respectively (mem is oc'ed at +500 offset, i7 was at 4.8 with my old M5E). 70.5 fps.
F5J4FQ1l.jpg

Might try out the ti bios, but I'm perfectly happy with this card at stock.

Actually about the offsets, Memory offsets are still worth posting. Memory doesn't get boosted in game, it only has it's 3 stats that it goes through.

Actually about the offsets, Memory offsets are still worth posting. Memory doesn't get boosted in game, it only has it's 3 stats that it goes through.

To be honest, I would expect you to know what I'm talking about when I said offsets were useless. Most people are concerned with boost clocks.

So I got the new BIOS installed, but I cannot not come close the O/C I got with the stock BIOS. I am able to get 1202 on the core with stock and only 1100 with the new BIOS, very strange!

Last edited:
I'm trying to push my 780 SC ACX now. I was using EVGA OC Scanner as a quick stability checker at stock settings, which was 1024x768, which was hardly stressing the card to maximum. The clocks and voltages didn't look like they were being increased to their maximums.

Now I'm making it run at 1920x1080 with full MSAA and it's looking stable at +100 core and +150 memory. with a voltage of 1.2v. I'm going to keep pushing it and give some runs of Heaven a go to see how stable the clocks are.

I'm trying to push my 780 SC ACX now. I was using EVGA OC Scanner as a quick stability checker at stock settings, which was 1024x768, which was hardly stressing the card to maximum. The clocks and voltages didn't look like they were being increased to their maximums.

Now I'm making it run at 1920x1080 with full MSAA and it's looking stable at +100 core and +150 memory. with a voltage of 1.2v. I'm going to keep pushing it and give some runs of Heaven a go to see how stable the clocks are.
As I've already stated, posting offset core clock increases are useless so if you want us to know how your over clock is doing, please post the actual boost clock speed.

For what its worth guys, I've ran across a few reliable tests for over clocking the 780. Crysis Warhead benchmark, 3 loops of Ambush, Avalanche and Frost at your highest resolution and 4-8x AA. Generally if your core or memory OC is unstable it will crash the application before completing all 9 runs. So far this has been the most reliable stability test of all the tests I've run which include synthetic tests and game benches. Hope that helps anyone that's looking for a quick way to check stability. Metro Last Light bench seems to be the second most reliable, also crashes the app when its unstable.

I usually let occt run for about an hour and then test the clocks in games (crysis3, bf3, and others). I'm actually stable in heaven at 1189 boost and 1802 on the memory, but I did not bother posting up that score since it is not stable in games.

I have found Crysis Warhead loops to fail before any other test thus far. With my 670's, Heaven was a great stablity test but I've found Warhead bench to be better thus far for my 780.

It looks like my eVGA 780 SC ACX is stable at 1150MHz core, 7004Mhz memory at the stock voltage, only moving the power and temp limit to make sure there were no restrictions. I've tried increasing the voltage up to 1.2v but can't seem to get any higher stable clock speeds out of it. I can live with 1150/7004Mhz for full time use, I've certainly put it through its paces this weekend doing tons of benching, and playing GRID 2, Tomb Raider and Metro Last Light and all of them are running great at 1080p.

As I've already stated, posting offset core clock increases are useless so if you want us to know how your over clock is doing, please post the actual boost clock speed.

I was playing around yesterday and got mine to boost up to 1200MHz with 1.2v with the stock BIOS. However, only 1140MHz was stable for multiple Heaven runs. The memory clocked up to 3180MHz before it started giving me issues.

I was playing around yesterday and got mine to boost up to 1200MHz with 1.2v with the stock BIOS. However, only 1140MHz was stable for multiple Heaven runs. The memory clocked up to 3180MHz before it started giving me issues.

Yea my ACX has been able to do 1200 at 1.2v also but not stable in all benches which is pretty much worthless to me. I haven't seen any overclocking headroom so far from extra voltage. 1150MHz seems to be my chip's upper limit.

Yeah the small voltage bump doesn't add much for me. I'm stable up to 1150 boost at stock voltage, 1163 boost with voltage adjustments (stock bios).

If the 780 lightning has some form of unlocked voltage, I will pick that up in a heartbeat.

Yea my ACX has been able to do 1200 at 1.2v also but not stable in all benches which is pretty much worthless to me. I haven't seen any overclocking headroom so far from extra voltage. 1150MHz seems to be my chip's upper limit.

I'm gonna try taking my voltage bump down and see if the card is still stable. I was hitting a hard wall at 1140MHz, which kind of sucks, but it's 120MHz over the stock boost clock, so I can't complain too much.

Maybe I'll give that Tech|Inferno BIOS a shot, but I don't even know what the point of that would be for myself at least. I game at 1920x1200 so this card is just chewing up everything, even Crysis 3, everything maxed and SMAA x4.

I'm at 1189 boost so far, I thought it wouldn't go higher than 1150....but the crashing/freezing was due to my CPU OC not being stable lol.

Hey guys, is 1254mhz any good? My asic quality is 80.3% if that matters,

also, I saw my TDP going to 132% in msi afterburner which was weird, did anyone else get that?

Thanks!

edit: forgot to mention, without touching it, it goes to 1019mhz boosted until it gets to the default 80C then it comes down a lil.

1254Mhz is great, but I find it hard to believe you have complete stability at that speed.

1254Mhz is great, but I find it hard to believe you have complete stability at that speed.

I played the second half of crysis 3, I did 106% 94C targets, 38mv and 210mhz clock, never tried going over that.

I did not OC memory, will OCing it also help framerates at 1920x1080? I always figured it has to do with your resolution/aa?:confused:

In games, you'll get a bigger boost oc'ing the core, than oc'ing the memory at that res.

Bleh, I have one GTX780 that can't overclock 50MHz past stock without crashing. I'm not sure why that is. The other takes 100MHz or more -- I didn't bother to really check it out. What to do..? 1st world problem.

EDIT:

@xorbe

With 106% Power Limit and 40MHz overclock, both get to 1124Mhz. Oh, btw, these are EVGA ACX models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh, I have one GTX780 that can't overclock 50MHz past stock without crashing. I'm not sure why that is. The other takes 100MHz or more -- I didn't bother to really check it out. What to do..? 1st world problem.

That doesn't mean anything unless you state what the actual clocks are. The first one could be boosting more than the second one.

I played the second half of crysis 3, I did 106% 94C targets, 38mv and 210mhz clock, never tried going over that.

I did not OC memory, will OCing it also help framerates at 1920x1080? I always figured it has to do with your resolution/aa?:confused:

Try running Crysis Warhead benchmark at 1920x1080, 8xAA, 3 loops of Ambush, Avalanche and Frost. If it passes that without crashing, its proabably stable at that speed.

I think mine will top out at 1202, thats a 183+ offset....I'm happy with that, pretty sure that's as good as Titan stock speed.

Hey folks, I decided to run the Metro Last Light benchmark for about 10 runs to test stability. I got a black screen and after a few minutes of waiting and then pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL, I was able to get back to my desktop. Continued to test and now my small over clock crashes in just about any taxing game at random with a black screen for a few mins and then maybe some video, but sometimes I have to restart.

I have tried flashing the custom bios and i managed to get both cards to 1215MHz -- played some Last Light for about 15 -- same thing happens in the end with a black screen. Went back to default and again any small over clock causes that black screen. What do you guys recommend?

PSU is AX1200 not 850.

One of your cards isn't liking the Overclock, I had the same problems getting black screens and just kept backing off until all 3 of my cards were stable. Running in Tri Sli I'm at 1125/3175 and they are tearing Metro, my setting are 1920x1200 everything maxed out and SSSA at 4x and I'm getting 80 to 110 Fps lol

Hey folks, I decided to run the Metro Last Light benchmark for about 10 runs to test stability. I got a black screen and after a few minutes of waiting and then pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL, I was able to get back to my desktop. Continued to test and now my small over clock crashes in just about any taxing game at random with a black screen for a few mins and then maybe some video, but sometimes I have to restart.

I have tried flashing the custom bios and i managed to get both cards to 1215MHz -- played some Last Light for about 15 -- same thing happens in the end with a black screen. Went back to default and again any small over clock causes that black screen. What do you guys recommend?

PSU is AX1200 not 850.

Well it looks like I get the driver error/freeze @ 1202, looks like 1189 is where I'll be at which is more than I expected anyway. Just out of curiosity, how can you tell when the memory fails on these cards ?

Last edited:
Anybody watercooling a 780? I just ordered a galaxy from newegg, have the ek titan block sitting here waiting...looking for some general targets...

Anybody watercooling a 780? I just ordered a galaxy from newegg, have the ek titan block sitting here waiting...looking for some general targets...

I'm running my 2 780 SLI watercooled.

Best I can get is 1149 core boosted.

Mine are zotac 780s but I don't think it matter since it's a reference card and as far as I know they're all from Nvidia.

Back