780 GTX overclock results

I might be a little rusty when it comes to overclocking, but what side effects are you experiencing when going too high. On my SLI setup I am either working okay or the computer just restarts unexpectedly. I am wondering if I am bumping into some other kind of limit. On my last video card my game might crash, get artifacts, or something along those lines.

While pushing my 780 OC's in SLI I have not had a total system crash (since replacing my defective 780 anyway), just a recoverable CTD. I have however only used the Heaven demo to test my OC's so far.

What are you using to benchmark when you crash and what kind of temps are you seeing?

OC failures, from my experience have either been CTD or GPU device driver failing and blacking out, only to shortly reinit and show the desktop again. Havent experienced hard locks yet

Thanks for the replies, I was using the Valley demo. I got about a minute or two into the loop when it crashed. My temps slowly climbed to high 70s touching on 80, but last time it crashed I don't think it was pegged at 80. My case is kind of shit for airflow so I know I could do better there.

It seems like I can run +100-110 okay (max= 1130MHzish), but higher than that say +130 reboots me...

Cards are 70.2 and 78 ASIC quality.

From what I've read, Valley doesn't stress a GPU nearly as hard as Heaven.

So, I quit messing around and flashed the TechInferno BIOS last night. So far, I'm at 1215 core/3200 memory and Heaven Extreme preset (I think that's what it's called) has been looping non-stop without any issues since last night. Hovering right around 75C with the fan at 65% which seems pretty decent since in games it's typically about 10C lower.

Seems like memory will go quite a bit higher (tested briefly up to 3500), but the performance increase is pretty negligible, so not sure it's worth the extra heat.

Last edited:
@Parja

So this is from your borderlands stable boost clock of 1150? (Actually... TI bios disables boost and just goes solid core speed, right?)

@Parja

So this is from your borderlands stable boost clock of 1150? (Actually... TI bios disables boost and just goes solid core speed, right?)

Yup, only had time to play BL2 briefly at those clocks, but it went about 8 hours of Heaven at those clocks, so it's looking pretty good.

And yes, the TI BIOS gets rid of boost, so you're just adjusting the 3D clock speed. Yay for simplicity!

I just fired up me evga 780 sc reference card, stock boost 1058 @ 1.162v ASIC 68.1%

Did I do good lol?

Yup, only had time to play BL2 briefly at those clocks, but it went about 8 hours of Heaven at those clocks, so it's looking pretty good.

And yes, the TI BIOS gets rid of boost, so you're just adjusting the 3D clock speed. Yay for simplicity!

I think Ill have to try it out and see if I can get above +90

With the TI BIOS I can bench at 1228-1241 core, 24/7 gaming is looking like 1215 core but I'm still testing it more (might be able to do 1228 with lower memspeed but I think I'm better off with the memory oc from initial testing). That's with 3390mhz (6780 effective) for both scenarios. I'm using an eVGA SC ACX 780 card.

I just fired up me evga 780 sc reference card, stock boost 1058 @ 1.162v ASIC 68.1%

Did I do good lol?

Seems fine. My 780 sc acx, stock boosts to 1084 @ 1.162, with an asic of 66.3.

I probably won't bother testing oc's till tomorrow. Great card.

I see all the clock increases and all that... they don't mean much to me. Can people post their FPS gains with their clock gains? Lol.

I want to say my problem is power related... I took the SLI bridge out and tested each card. I can run them over +150 individually. Together in SLI if I overlock/overvolt my computer reboots a minute or two after running something stressful.

I thought my 850W would be enough, but maybe I am just close to overloading it. It is a few years old now so it could be getting weak. I have 5 harddrives and and overclocked i7 930 which uses more power than todays chips. I was planning on rebuilding after Haswell came out, guess I will see what happens when I finish my rebuild.

Only game that's sensitive to high overclocks in my Tri-Fire setup is BF3. All 3 of my cards are at 100 / 100 with fan at 80%.

Only game that's sensitive to high overclocks in my Tri-Fire setup is BF3. All 3 of my cards are at 100 / 100 with fan at 80%.

It's hard, actually impossible, to tri-fire with nvida cards... lol
Did you mean triple SLI?

Kinda want the gtx 780. But don't actually -need- it yet. I can wait for black friday. LOL.

For those who plan to not play around with voltage, can you please post your successful clocks?

So far I am on +100 for core and +150 for memory. Seems OK so far.

It's hard, actually impossible, to tri-fire with nvida cards... lol
Did you mean triple SLI?

Kinda want the gtx 780. But don't actually -need- it yet. I can wait for black friday. LOL.

Lol ya I meant Tri Sli! Sorry I've been using tri fire with 6970s and 7970s and just switched over. I'm loving the much smoother gameplay, I even messed around with going Sli and using the 3rd 780 for physix. So far I'm loving it!!! All my games I can overclock + 115 / + 150 except for Bf3 I'm at + 75 / + 125 for stability on all 3 cards. Or I can go + 125 but only + 50 heat isn't a problem. Fan running at 80% my cards don't even get out of the high 60s.

Here's my best Firestrike so far:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/508080
11586 graphics score on a single GTX 780 SC ACX...

and my best Valley 1920x1080 ExtremeHD preset is 76.2fps so far:
valleygoldentiger1920.jpg

Bench stable at 1228-1241c + 6780mem, Still nailing down 24/7 game stable clocks but a lot of testing was done with 1215/6780 successfully (core/mem), several hours' worth of BF3 multi+far cry 3+crysis 3. While I haven't had a driver crash or system crash yet at those speeds I will probably drop one bin to 1202 and knock the mem down 50 just so it doesn't decide to randomly do so in a raid or whatnot :p and stick with that for long-term 24/7.

Overclocked to 1176/3400 on stock voltage...will have to mess with overvolt or possibly flash that techinferno tweaked BIOS (probably not). Very impressed with the GTX 780 -- coming from an ASUS GTX680 DC2T too

3dmark11 13379

798KDV8.jpg

For those who plan to not play around with voltage, can you please post your successful clocks?

So far I am on +100 for core and +150 for memory. Seems OK so far.

I got two Galaxy 780s.
I put them on Heatkiller waterblocks this weekend.

For comparison sake.....same MB, all watercooled. Played in EyeFinity or Surround, 5760 X 1200

Crossfire HD 7970s @ 1125/1450 Metro Last Light: normal Tesselation/no PhysX.
Level......entire playthrough of "Traveling to Venice"

Average framerate: 45-55, temp 40C

GTX 780s SLi : Average Framerate 65-70, temp 38C
Power +106/Clock +150/Memory +50 Voltage +5
Average clock speed.....1143-1163

Both cards were overvolted slightly using Afterburner, but nothing serious.

I'll admit......I generally watercool due to noise, but these new coolers are whisper quiet, and do a pretty good job of cooling, although 40C is better than 80C any day.:cool:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how high of an OC do you need to match Titan performance ?

IIRC I scored the same/slightly higher as BM00 in Valley with my ref Titan @ 1150/3200 and a 3570k @ 4.5.

IIRC I scored the same/slightly higher as BM00 in Valley with my ref Titan @ 1150/3200 and a 3570k @ 4.5.

I beat it with my 780 and a 2600K @ 4.4 ;) http://imageshack.us/a/img841/3909/valleygoldentiger1920.jpg on last page of this thread. These are great cards any way you slice it though. I have my 2600K stable at 4.7ghz now after finally taking a couple of hours to tweak, it would seem, so going to see how that helps the score today...

Last edited:
Right, I saw that. Was providing a reference for SKL1 since he asked but by all means repost your score across every page of this thread.

Right, I saw that. Was providing a reference for SKL1 since he asked but by all means repost your score across every page of this thread.

Right, and I was providing a reference to what a 780 can pull, since most top Titan cards barely top that. Your point?

I threw an Antec 620 on my EVGA 780 ACX. Dropped idle temps by around 4c and load temps by about 15-20c. What's best for me is being able to keep the fan low while still overclocking the card. The ACX was better than the reference for that and the 620 takes it to the next level before going for a real watercooling kit. Very happy with the results.

8944237776_a1812ce849_b.jpg

8944237918_695c645d39_b.jpg

Idle (Ignore fan speed readings as there is no fan hooked up)

8944237964_0f19ab380b_b.jpg

Load (running Heaven benchmark in the background)

8943743031_65a43e346e_b.jpg

I kept the stock heat plate on and am using a copper shim to fill the gap between GPU core and the waterblock. I have a Thor V2 and the side panel fan blows in on the card keeping it all cool.

Ferris... why... why do you have a... wireless-G wifi adapter?! :p I dare you to put another Kuhler 620 in there, and use it for the wifi adapter!

Ferris... why... why do you have a... wireless-G wifi adapter?! :p I dare you to put another Kuhler 620 in there, and use it for the wifi adapter!

hahahaha Consider it done! ;)

I have my computer in the kitchen at the moment, it's where I do testing and tinkering. So I just threw that in there to get online in here. Going back to wired shortly. I'm still not sold on how I have the rad/fan config at the moment, but just wanted to get it in there and see how it worked.

Right, and I was providing a reference to what a 780 can pull, since most top Titan cards barely top that. Your point?

I was trying to help out, I'm aware that 780s can OC faster than most OC Titans, as my equal score illustrates and he has more headroom to OC. The person asked for a comparable score.

Your score was literally the 4th post prior. You're just bragging. You don't need to repost on every page of this thread, that's my point. Do you expect some kind of nobel prize or something? Best video card buyer on the internet?

I was trying to help out, I'm aware that 780s can OC faster than most OC Titans, as my equal score illustrates and he has more headroom to OC. The person asked for a comparable score.

Your score was literally the 4th post prior. You're just bragging. You don't need to repost on every page of this thread, that's my point. Do you expect some kind of nobel prize or something? Best video card buyer on the internet?

You obviously have some kind of axe to grind... have fun with it.

How do I adjust the voltage? I have the latest version of Afterburner, and it will not allow me to adjust the core voltage. Sorry for the newb questions, but I haven't used Nvidia sense my GeForce 3 hahaha

How do I adjust the voltage? I have the latest version of Afterburner, and it will not allow me to adjust the core voltage. Sorry for the newb questions, but I haven't used Nvidia sense my GeForce 3 hahaha

You have to go into the setting page in Afterburner and enable voltage regulation.:D

I was getting some issues with driver crashes while trying to overclock last night. When I tried to enable the additional voltage in Precision-X, often times the driver would crash. I'm going to play with it some again tonight, but I wasn't able to gain much ground. Maybe I need to give the Tech|Inferno BIOS a shot. How much extra overclocking headroom were you able to get with it, GoldenTiger?

So I got my Heatkiller block installed today and I was able to do some testing. As of now I have the core at 1202mhz and memory at 3200mhz with stock voltage and temps never going above 27C. But for some reason I cannot get the core over 1202, no matter what I set it at, it stays at 1202. What gives?

Back