775 Replacement board help

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
I know, I'm beating a dead horse with 775 but I don't have the funds to purchase cpu, mobo and ram.

Current config-
CPU- Q9450
Cooler- H50
RAM- 4x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066
PSU- GS800 Corsair
GFX- GTX 660 SC 2GB
HDD- WD 500 RE4

My board from 2007 died a few weeks ago. EVGA 680i. If they weren't so expensive I would just get another one or a 7xx series.

Then I was looking at matx and itx boards but they only have 2 dimm slots. Even in the rare chance they do support 8GB, a 2x4GB kit is too expensive to make it worth it.

Since 775s are few and far between here, I was looking at ebay.

There are several sub $60 boards, mainly intel.

My questions-
Would the drop from 8GB to 4GB hurt me that bad in gaming?
Is there any sub $60 or close to it supporting SLI with 4 dimm slots I may be missing?
Ditching SLI, what would be a good alternative?

Or the million dollar question
Sell the CPU and RAM, then save up for a newer gen setup. From what I've gathered, the i3-3220 is about the same as my 9450 per anandtech cpu bench. I wouldn't go lower than an i5 if I have the option though. Even here or ebay though, cpu, mobo and ram is about 3-400. Obviously I would be lucky to cover half of that.

Main uses for pc
Gaming- CS, CSS, GO, SR3, GTA4, GTA5? Sims 3, Anno 2070 SimCity 4, CitiesXL
Media- Playing videos from web and hdd. Standard and 1080p

Boards I was looking at-
4Dimm Boards
Intel DQ35JOE
Intel DG35EC
Intel DP35DPM
Intel DP43TF
Intel DP35DP
Intel DG33FB
Intel DQ45CB
EVGA 680i SLI (Not a BIN, likely to go out of my price range)
Asus P5Q Pro (Not a BIN, likely to go out of my price range)
Zotac GeForce 9300 (MCP7a)

2Dimm Boards
ASUS P5G41-M LX2/GB
ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi
ECS G41T-M2
ECS G41T-M
ASRock G41M-VS3

I will get links to the boards but wanted to get it posted.

Thanks,
outlaw

I would get an Asus P5Q Pro over any of the other ones listed. I've had several of them and they have all been rock solid. I wouldn't get a 2 dimm board as they are all budget boards. You have a H50 cooler, you might as well use it.

I'm sure you could find a good used LGA775 board here in the forums for cheaper than $60 shipped. I saw a X48 Rampage go pretty cheap not too long ago. That would be a great board to extend the life of your system, although pretty much any P35/P45 would do the job.

The P5Q currently listed still has a few days. From what I've seen, they will hit the 70-80s before selling.

I had to let go a P35 board here recently because i jumped the gun and didn't have the funds at the time. :*( lol

I had gotten an intel board from here, just a standard intel matx board, nothing fancy for 40shipped, unfortunately it was doa. From what I've seen, most of the premium 775s are just that, a premium price.

Thanks for the tip on the x48, P35/P45. The P35's on ebay are within reach. P45's in the 70+ range though. X48 is 140+.

The ones i found here are in bundles. I will keep an eye on those models though.

Thanks,
Outlaw

I wouldn't go lower than an i5 if I have the option though. Even here or ebay though, cpu, mobo and ram is about 3-400. Obviously I would be lucky to cover half of that.
I'd sell you an IP35-e if you want, but, after probably $12 in shipping, I don't think it'd be worth it for either of us.

3-400?

Let's do a Sandy 2500k. You can beat the following numbers if you try.
CPU $150
mobo $40-$75
8gb DDR3 $50
= $240-$275

If you don't require an overclockable board and CPU, you can do even better. Also, an i3 for around $80 would be a nice placeholder for an i5 at some point later. (Even the faster Celerons are surprisingly good most of the time, though sometimes they fall on their face compared to i3.) But, when all is said and done and depreciation hits both i3 and i5 more, you would have had to spend more up front, but the final cost might be closer than someone might think.

Don't all the 1155 EVGA boards suck? Or is it just certain ones? Seen a lot of bad comments, not to mention the slow (non-existent?) Ivy bios support for some if not all of them. I'm not an expert on EVGA 1155 boards, just saying the comments that I have seen haven't been good.

I wouldn't want to drop to 4gb of memory. I suppose it'd be fine if you didn't leave unnecessary programs open, though.

Thanks. The 3-400 was quickly looking. Looking in here looks to yield better results.

The only problem, even with the 240-275 is it's still quite above my budget. while I would love to do a solid upgrade, I don't think it's necessary for what I do to justify the cost.

Honestly, I don't know much about the boards.

With the ram, I know playing SR3 will use 1-1.5GB but seems to be the highest of the games I have checked. I do agree though. I didn't want to drop to 4gb as from past exp. should be a minimum spec. Maybe just trying to talk myself into it for the itx boards..

itx can wait til the next upgrade as they appear to have a lot more choices and better specs.

Just got excited for an Asus P5K board, looked like SLI support until you find the second slot is only x4. booo.

Thanks
Outlaw

X48 is 140+.

holy cow. i just traded a guy an x48 rampage extreme, q6600, p5q, in exchange for his maximus iv extreme + 2500k.

i was kind of wondering what was wrong with him. but damn had no clue that board was selling for that high online these days. i still came out WAY on top haha.

OP I would try to get a ddr3 board like a p43. also 775 boards float on craigslist all the time, i sold an evga 680i sli lt two days ago for 30 bucks in perfect condition

Wish I could've done that deal. lol

The P43 with ddr3 is still pretty expensive, plus i would have to buy new ram. The only p43 with ddr3 in my budget was 50 bucks but only supported 4gb. Next one up is $83.

I was just looking, I might be able to sell the q9450, ocz platinum and a few things to get an upgrade to an i5+board. I am hesitant to sell stuff that require shipping because of time constraints but it might be the only option for an upgrade.

I did try my backup pc for some cs gaming and it was surpising decent on default settings. It probably helped its on a 17" screen. lol

I did already sell my 23" monitor in hopes of upgrading that too.

Either I will just have to get an intel / P35 board to make it last or just sell to upgrade..

Have to make a list for the FS section anyways.

Outlaw

Either way, you really can't go wrong. You can still get decent money for your system. For what you have, I wouldn't worry about a DDR3 board for an LGA775 socket. If you can find a good deal on just a board, do it, but you can still get some decent money for your parts. Kick in the extra $60 you would have used for a new board, and you might have close to enough to upgrade.

Ebay might get you a higher sell price, although more fees also.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1779501
There's a P35 board for a decent price with the retail box/accessories.

Last edited:
lol. Thanks

I did see that board earlier and went.. maybe i should just upgrade while the parts are decent prices like you guys have said. I've been on this system as a whole since 2007 when I first built it. Upgraded the ram and cpu; 2x1GB mushkins to 4x2GB ocz; e6600 to q9450 in about 2010-11ish when I got a great deal on it.

I'm not a fan of selling on ebay for the fees alone. I would definitely list here first and give the folks first dibs. I do have quite a bit of older stuff that needs to go. Getting stuff shipped is my concern with my job being 3rd shift.

I did see a i5-2500k+board for 270shipped, looked like a good deal too. DDR3 is pretty cheap considering so I don't think that would be an issue. The wife doesn't understand any of this stuff and didn't care to hear me ask for her opinion. lol

I do have a backup system (using now) with a q9300, 8800gs, 4gb and an intel board i got from ebay new. I need to just plop in the 660 to have a decent gamer for the time being...

Does that sound like I made a decision? lol

Thanks,
Outlaw

Back