• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

775 quad

adsmith82

n00b
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
33
anyone know what socket 775 quad-core cpu's are best for overclocking? i want a speedy quad-core. also, i would like to spend less than 150, have virtualization technology and oc close to 4 ghz. i know i am asking a lot. I also know that I can get a q9550 for 170 at micro center. might be my best bet, but would like to spend less if possible.

thanks for input
 
by the way, how do i tell how many posts i have, i would like to be able to put up a wtb in the for sale/trade forum
 
Click your name.

My 9550 C1 is running at 3.66.Ghz. I quite like it, and would suggest it. (I got mine for e $100 bucks though.)
 
If you are looking for a C2Q that will hit or get close to 4GHz, about your only choice is the Q9550, and you are going to need a good P45 chipset board as well to push it there.
 
Yep. The Q9550 is the best choice depending on your mobo. Hint, hint, create a signature so we know your specs.
 
Q9550 is your best bet. Should be fine on your board. Of course, you could still get a bad chip or not have sufficient cooling.
 
well, i have 2 case fans, 1 in and 1 out, both 1200rpm and 45cfm. I would say that is typical air flow (not a lot) but I will be using a good cpu cooler
 
now i just need to find a q9550 on the cheap... 170+tax new is the best i can find... there are a couple on craigslist for a bit less but would have to work out an ebay transaction if i chose to do that
 
If you are looking for a C2Q that will hit or get close to 4GHz, about your only choice is the Q9550, and you are going to need a good P45 chipset board as well to push it there.

Going off that, my 3.66Ghz OC is on a P35 chipset. (If my sig wasn't obvious enough for ya. *facetious grin*)

I will be getting a P45 chipset board and new, better RAM myself in a couple weeks when I can afford it. I'm hoping to hit 4Ghz as well, but I'm not holding my breath. (C1 being so hit or miss.)
 
Going off that, my 3.66Ghz OC is on a P35 chipset. (If my sig wasn't obvious enough for ya. *facetious grin*)
I will be getting a P45 chipset board and new, better RAM myself in a couple weeks when I can afford it. I'm hoping to hit 4Ghz as well, but I'm not holding my breath. (C1 being so hit or miss.)
Yeah, 4GHz with a C1 is not particularly likely. Almost all C1 chips I've seen have topped out at 3.8GHz within reasonable voltage limits.
What's a safe voltage for the Q9550 do you guys think.
Up to 1.4V.
 
Yeah, 4GHz with a C1 is not particularly likely. Almost all C1 chips I've seen have topped out at 3.8GHz within reasonable voltage limits.

+1, and within normal temps with aircooling.

Up to 1.4V.

+2, this is the case with all the Intel 45nm chips, keep them under 1.4V to be on the safe side.
 
Back
Top