700watt supply enough?

Majinhoju

[H]ard|Gawd
Question for ya,

My specs are in the sig below, but i'm contemplating getting two 6870 cards to run in crossfire.
if i decide to keep my 8800gt for physx (replaced fan with passive cooling) will my ocz 700watt power supply be enough to power 3 cards?
i also have 2 hard drives sucking up juice as well.

what are your thoughts?

At load a 6870 stock is at 250ish watts, so right there you are at 500watts for the entire system, add a little more for the 8800GT if its ever under full load and you should be ok with that OCZ 700, if its a gold 80 certified that would be even better

Last edited:
Which 700W OCZ PSU? Chances are you've got either the 700W GameXStream or ModXStream Pro, and if either one is the case, I recommend against it.

Check out this link. The 6800 series isn't listed yet but you can use a similar board to determine you power usage.

It's not conclusive, but you can get an idea of what to expect.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Check out my sig for what I have with a PCP&C 750.

Which 700W OCZ PSU? Chances are you've got either the 700W GameXStream or ModXStream Pro, and if either one is the case, I recommend against it.

+1 to this. Unless that OCZ is a Z-Series PSU, it's simply not a good idea to use it with your planned setup. The GameXStream 700W had ripple issues past 500W and the OCZ ModXStream 700W Pro could not provide its rated power at 45C.

I agree with the others on the OCZ. Not recommended. Been there, done that, learned not to do it again.

okie dokie, thanks everyone :)

i'd need to get a new motherboard anyway (not enough pci-e slots or 3 video cards), lol, i was just curious to see if i could get away with not replacing the powersupply.

i think i'll just sell 8800gt and put it towards the new cards. i'll be sad to see batman aa's physx gone, but being able to play crysis at 1920x1080 max settings at 60fps will ease the pain :)

Another vote against the OCZ powersupply. I had an old 500W one that died and they replaced with a newer 650W one... When I upgraded my video card, the 650W powersupply started failing. I don't think my peak load is anywhere near 650W... but my system is very unstable. (just biding my time until I can upgrade everything).

Back