$700ish New Build

mere1582

Gawd
I'm looking to start from scratch and build a new pc.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc.
Probably some Photoshop, moderate gaming, web/email, etc.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'm trying to keep it around $600-700 if possible, but I want to keep it good quality also.
3) Where do you live?
Atlanta
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything, starting from scratch.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Possibly, not too informed on the subject as this is my first build.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Gonna go for around a 22-24 inch monitor.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
2-3 weeks around the holiday times and try to find some good deals.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
None
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes.

Found a case already, but let me know if its good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125286
Not really familiar with all the options so let me know if there's something better suited.

Was using this thread to help me get started but don't think I need video cards and motherboards as expensive, etc.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1470412
And that's about as far as I've gotten.

Thanks

Nope. It does not compare to the Radeon HD 4770 that's in the combo and I will tell you why.

1. The Radeon HD 4700 is 5-10% overall faster than the 9800GT in most games
2. The Radeon HD 4770 supports newer technology such as DX 10.1, Shader Model 4.1. 9800GT is DX 10 and Shader Model 4.0
3. Fabrication Process is based on a 40nm core vs 55nm on the 9800GT. This results in overall lower power consumption.
4. It has built in Integrated HD audio controller. The 9800GT does not
5. The price you pay upfront with the cpu combo is the same as what you pay upfront for the 9800GT video card.
6. The Radeon HD 4770 is an XFX brand which offer lifetime warranty over the ASUS brand 9800GT video card.

I don't suggest using WD Green drive as OS drives as these are design for power saving than performance.

onboard sound is very good these day. basic sound card are un-needed.

board already has Gigabit adapter.

i7 920 would rise the cost the build by at least another $100. I would spend the saving in a better video card like xfx 5770 as multi-monitor setup would be great for photoshop use.

I agree with shiro and HG.

MC has the Storm Scout for $60 right now.

i7 920 would rise the cost the build by at least another $100. I would spend the saving in a better video card like xfx 5770 as multi-monitor setup would be great for photoshop use.

So if I went with the i7 920 I would have to increase the other products also rather than just buy that to increase speed?

Indeed, as the 920 would require an X58 board, which are typically much more expensive than the P55 boards. You'll also need a triple channel RAM kit instead of a dual channel kit, for a total of 6GB instead of 4GB. These two upgrades alone would bump the price by around $100.

Gaming at native res on a 24" would be limited with an HD 5700 series card.

What about the 5750 at native res of a 22"? Should I still get the 5770 for better graphics with that?

What about the 5750 at native res of a 22"? Should I still get the 5770 for better graphics with that?

The 5750 would be adequate at that res. But if you want better graphics, spend the extra $30 for the HD 5770.

Back