~700$-800$max gaming build. Is it possible?!

HiCZoK

Gawd
Hi guys :)

So it's that time. In about a month I will be getting new pc and it is time to start consideration right now. The only problem is that my budget isn't too big. about 2500pln (polish money) so not more than 700-800usd.

I want to get whole PC "station". No monitor, no speakers, mice or other peripherals. I will use my stuff for now and just get g400 as my main mouse as suggested in other section ;)

So I will need recommendations for whole thing. I know this isn't budget for something crazy but that's why I am here. Maybe You guys know what parts to squeeze in there to make something sold for the buck.
My current pc is dying. It lasted good 5 years. My best setup yet but I made some poor choices so that's why now I am asking here.

1)Case - I love fractal R3 but it's kinda steep for me. I would like something quiet? but not at the cost of poor temps. And perhaps with dust filters as a must.
2)cpu - amd/intel I don't care. I think amd is just cheaper right? Should be able to find faster amd than 2500k and cheaper at the same time?
3)gpu - I think I prefer nvidia because of control panel but also heard that ati have good cards since 6xxx series. So I am open for recommendations. I don't oc gpu.
4)psu - chieftec? I don't know much about psu's. Have only one dvd writer and no additional fans
5)mobo - dunno. My asus p5n-e sli was rather bad. Don't think I want to go with asus
6)ram - 8 or 16 corsair/geil? maybe 4 if expensive. Would expand later
7)Hdd - my 500gb wd makes paranormal noises :LOL: I need something new here too. 1tb or 2tb. I would love small ssd for C: but the prices... So I could just get that normal hdd and maybe ssd later on.
No soundcard. I will use onboard realtek HD. No problems with in on my current board
So that is a LOT of parts to squeeze in that range. All setups I did were like twice the price. halp :eek:

Last edited:
ooohh ok. Answering now :)

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
-gaming, movies(and fraps games recording), web browsing. Mainly gaming. FPS games, no multiplayer games. I like native res and antyaliasing but I never goc crazy with it. 4x is more than enough when using native res
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
-700-800usd (~2500pln). I will buy at my local retailer
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
-Poland
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
-Explained above in first post
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
-Not reusing. Maybe my 500wd hdd but as backup.
6) Will you be overclocking?
-GPU not. CPU yes. but not sooner than after a year or two.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
-22" 1680x1050. But I am planning to get 24 incher maybe year afterwards or even later.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
-In a next month, max two.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
- I DON'T use almost any features. no SLI, raid, firewire etc
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
-Windows 7 32bit and 64bit, Do not want win8

Which games are you playing? Which games are you recording via FRAPS?

Do you have a link to the site where you'll order your parts?

How soon could you start buying parts? (For now, let's assume that we could give you a complete build list within the next two or three days.)

Are you going to buy a new monitor within the next three or four months?

Which edition of Windows 7 do you have (e.g. Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate)? Do you have a retail license or an OEM license?

Most of new games and some old. I love playing classics from my childhood in dosbox. So bloodm duke nukem3d, hexen etc must work in dosbox but with any new cpu that is not a problem. Maybe some pcsx2 emulation.
I have youtube channel for my recorded glitches and bugs in games. short clips in not more than 720p I think. Not really mp games. Let's say a doom4 comes out - I will keep my finger ready on f9 key to take footage of any glitches or just record some cool footage. Simple stuff I do for years.

I will buy via this retailer. I can order everything on their site for free delivery to their spot which is
thankfully near where I live so prices on that page are to be considered "real" :)
www.gral.pl - I would not want to exceed 2500pln. But that is maximum. Would be happy if we could go lower but at the same time I know that not everything is achievable or free either ;)

How soon? in about 40 days. Not sooner. Maybe a bit later.

No new Monitor. 226bw is still kicking. Maybe in next year or later.

Windows 7 ultimate. retail

Forty days? Take a break and revisit this thread in about 30 days.

Assuming that your Polish site operates similarly to many U.S. sites like NewEgg, there may be a few price changes and/or new items available in about a month from now.

bump. So anyone will help me?
I have about 200$ to spend this month. Rest 500$ in next month ;)

btw. I have this very weird problem with my pc not booting every time. It just stays dead but fans are spinning. I does boot every 5th time or soooo but the performance sucks ass then. I've disscussed it on other forums and it's either psu or mobo. So maybe I should get one of these right now? (but it will be hard to get mobo without knowing what cpu so maybe hdd now?)

btw - Ive explained the problem much more here http://www.overclock.net/t/1273934/...ted-to-ez-selector-kinda-difficult-to-explain So I wont explain it again here :p

Last edited:
You should have posted your current rig at the very least:

HiCZoK said:
Inno3d oc edition 8800gt 512mb.
p5n-e sli asus motherboard
e6300 c2d 1,86 but I have it running on 2,8 (1,325vcore, 1,7nb) - orthos like it.
2x1gb Geil ultra 4-4-4-12
450W Chieftec psu

The overclock.net thread makes it seem like your problems lie entirely with the motherboard. There's a good chance that the PSU is playing some sort of role in your current set of problems. Chieftec in the US is the equivalent of the poor "generic" PSUs that don't live up to their rated power levels.

But $200 (USD equivalent) isn't enough money to make a significant upgrade now. Plus, in order to solve your problems, you pretty much need to consider upgrading everything at once. Your processor, motherboard, and video card are outdated; you'll need to buy a new set of RAM to go with your new processor and motherboard; your power supply sucks (it should actually be the first thing you replace, your motherboard issues notwithstanding); and whatever you're currently using as a case may not be able to handle a new system.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to navigate through the site you're buying your parts from. If you have the time yourself, please tell me whether the following setup fits your budget (I'm using NewEgg links for reference purposes):

Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) or Intel Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5V dual-channel kit (from a well-known brand name like Corsair, Patriot, or G.Skill)
Asus P8Z68-M Pro (Intel Z68 chipset) or Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H (Intel Z77 chipset)
500GB hard drive (from either Seagate or Western Digital)
SATA DVD burner (any vendor, the cheapest you can find)
A mid-range video card, like the GeForce GTX 560 Ti, the Radeon HD 6870, or the Radeon HD 7850
Antec NEO ECO 620C or Corsair CX600 V2
ATX mid-tower case (for now, choose something that you like)

It is a bit over the budget. Like ~100$

What about goint amd/ati ?

I am also not getting additional cooling or dvd drive. Corsair 600w and 2x4gb corsair are good tho. I am undecided about rest tho.

Hdd wise - I want to get 1tb hdd. Prolly WD black. But It will be my only hdd so maybe get WD green(or blue or seagate) and 32-64 ssd for os ?

Hold up until you have all the $. Spending some now and some later is not wise as you have less of a chance to return defective parts.

I was in your same situation, I had some money up front and had to wait for the rest. What I did was buy the parts that you can use NOW. I had $300 upfront, I bought my case and PSU because those are 2 things you can use now and dont have to really worry about them being defective.

So if you MUST buy something now like i just had to, then get a case and PSU.

I
What about goint amd/ati ?
Not worth it: AMD CPUs are consistently outperformed by Intel CPUs of similar or lower costs when it comes to games.

I am also not getting additional cooling or dvd drive. Corsair 600w and 2x4gb corsair are good tho. I am undecided about rest tho.
The Corsair PSU isn't a good choice since a little more gets you a significantly higher quality PSU with the same +12V amperage which basically means the same amount of power:
http://www.gral.pl/Antec+High+Current+Gamer+520_220.html

Hdd wise - I want to get 1tb hdd. Prolly WD black. But It will be my only hdd so maybe get WD green(or blue or seagate) and 32-64 ssd for os ?
A 64GB SSD is gonna be really limiting later on. If you're the type that can constantly keep his SSD clear of un-needed files, then yeah that latter route will be fine. I highly recommend waiting until you can afford a 128GB SSD. SSD wise if you want a good SSD, stick with the Corsair Performance Pro, Crucial m4, Intel 520, Samsung 830, or Plextor M3 series SSDs.

Motherboard wise, I recommend this cheaper but still decent quality mobo instead:
http://www.gral.pl/MSI+Z77A-G43+LGA1155_322.html

Good call on the mobo and psu. This is why I made this topic in month advance :D

My C: partition is 20gb for like 5 years and I have 8gb free all the time. Habing 64gb for C: will be huuuge improvement for me.
I am jsut asking is it worth to get 64gb speed wise vs 128gb. Also I want a cheap ssd. What brand would You recommend ?

I think I will do as Fayt19 says. I might get a HDD this month. What 1TB would You recommend?
If I would get a more valuable WD 1tb black version, would that be good enough, not to get additional ssd and just partition 50gb for C: out of it ?

My C: partition is 20gb for like 5 years and I have 8gb free all the time. Habing 64gb for C: will be huuuge improvement for me.
I am jsut asking is it worth to get 64gb speed wise vs 128gb.
Speed and price wise, yes the 128GB is worth it. At least here in the U.S, the 128GB SSDs are often significantly better buys than the 60GB to 64GB SSDs.
Also I want a cheap ssd. What brand would You recommend ?
I recommended several good SSD series earlier. Read my post again. I do not recommend any other SSD brands or series than the ones I listed above.
I think I will do as Fayt19 says. I might get a HDD this month. What 1TB would You recommend?
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB would be my recommendation.
If I would get a more valuable WD 1tb black version, would that be good enough, not to get additional ssd and just partition 50gb for C: out of it ?
No. No HDD in the world is ever as fast as a good SSD.

hmmm allright. But SpinPoint is like 1/4th expensive than WD green/blue or seagate barracuda and the same price as WD black and the point is, I've heard bad things about 1tb spinpoint

http://www.gral.pl/Samsung+1TB+SATA-II+32MB_979.html
http://www.gral.pl/Western+Digital+1TB+SATA-III+64MB_009.html
http://www.gral.pl/Seagate+ST1500DM003+1+4TB+SATA-III+64M_598.html
www.gral.pl/Seagate+ST1500DM003+1+4TB+SATA-III+64M_598.html
http://www.gral.pl/Seagate+ST31000524AS+1TB+SATA-III+32MB_227.html

Not to mention there is like 50 of other barracuda and WD series of 1tb-2tb drives in affordable or not prices. I am so lost :LOL:

So it's either ssd or hdd this month :p

Last edited:

I was in your same situation, I had some money up front and had to wait for the rest. What I did was buy the parts that you can use NOW. I had $300 upfront, I bought my case and PSU because those are 2 things you can use now and dont have to really worry about them being defective.

So if you MUST buy something now like i just had to, then get a case and PSU.

DON'T FOLLOW THAT ADVICE.

Fayt19 recommended that you buy a new case and power supply, but you're looking at buying a new hard drive instead. Your problems in the OC.net thread stem from a (likely) bad motherboard, though I believe that your PSU had some role in your problems.

You currently have around $200 USD to work with, right? That isn't enough to buy the new processor and motherboard that you want along with the new RAM kit and power supply that you need. Buying a new hard drive at this time, or even an SSD, won't make your current problems go away. (And I agree with Danny Bui that AMD is a bad buy when Intel is considerably better, even from a price-to-performance standpoint.)

You have two choices in solving your immediate problem, and they ultimately come down to buying something now. You can either increase your budget to buy the parts that you want (and need) now or "compromise" and buy cheaper yet lower quality/performing parts. What will it be?

Cpu, psu, mobo and ram have to be purchased as ONE. there is no deny in it. And that package will be bought next month + gpu, so I will not be fixing my pc problems this month. There is just no way.

This month it's either case or hdd/ssd. There is no point in getting a case now, since It would just be standing there for month, waiting for new mobo.

The only option now is HDD/SSD as I see it. I have almost 200$ to go by. 500 in next month etc

hmmm allright. But SpinPoint is like 1/4th expensive than WD green/blue or seagate barracuda and the same price as WD black and the point is, I've heard bad things about 1tb spinpoint

Again, I'm still recommending the Samsung: It's a very solid drive. The 1-star rating for that WD Black drive on Newegg.com is 14% whereas the 1 star rating for the Samsung 1TB is 11%. 71% (or 1513 users) of Samsung F3 1TB drive buyers have rated that drive as 5 stars compared to the 58% (or 1091 users) of WD 1TB Black buyers that have rated that drive as 5 stars. So all in all, the Samsung is gonna be the better drive.

Cpu, psu, mobo and ram have to be purchased as ONE. there is no deny in it. And that package will be bought next month + gpu, so I will not be fixing my pc problems this month. There is just no way.

This month it's either case or hdd/ssd. There is no point in getting a case now, since It would just be standing there for month, waiting for new mobo.

The only option now is HDD/SSD as I see it. I have almost 200$ to go by. 500 in next month etc

Save your money and buy everything at once. The HDD or SSD (is it safe to assume that you aren't buying both?) would be "standing there for a month" just like the case.

I am a terrible money saver. I have to buy something now :LOL:

But I would totally use hdd right now. Why not ?

It doesn't solve your immediate problem, which is that your motherboard is bad.

Hdd is done. Bought WD blue 1tb 64mb cache. Wanted to get spinpoint but it is totally out of stock. Couldn't find it somehow, So I just got that one + it's much cheaper and at least it's not green.(and I can always return it if I don't like it)

Will get mobo, cpu, ssd, ram, psu in next month and gpu (or gpu in a month after :)

Keep recommending guys.
Current budget is about 500$ for above parts next month

edit - did some initial testing and it seems that it's 2xtimes faster than my old wd 500.
Just took a buch of files ~3gb folder and copied onto new hdd. restarted pc to clear the cache and made a copy of folder on new and old hdd - after initial run speeds, 1tb came to 50mb/s while 500gb struggled to do 24mb/s and sounded terrible :p
I realize it's nothing really impressive (and that my test is not really a test) but it should do ;)

Last edited:
Next time, let us know what your final considerations are before making your purchase.

I'll come back to this thread when you're ready to make your next order.

ok. This was a quick one. Did not wanted the gaming rig topic to be dragged by hdd ;) wd blue seems to be enough as some suggested.

That would also be a good chooice actually ;)

Guys, Don't be mad at me! It's just a one part out of the checklist and not a bad one at that. I promise to follow advises better next time ;)

Back