6990 Radeon, 700 Watt PSU Enough?

phiberoptik

Limp Gawd
Should I be okay with a 700W PSU? running a single Radeon 6990, under System Requirements it says 750W or greater, I just hope I don't have to upgrade my PSU that would suck :(

Should I be okay with a 700W PSU? running a single Radeon 6990, under System Requirements it says 750W or greater, I just hope I don't have to upgrade my PSU that would suck :(

I suspect you should be fine. I've run a E8400 @ 4.3GHZ, 8GB 1066 DDR Ram, 4870x2 + 4870 for trifire and 3 hard drives plus 9 case fans on a corsair 750TX (original version) PSU with no issues PSU wise.

Howmany AMPS on the +12V line? Single rail or multi rail?

If you had a quality 700W PSU, I would have said yes. But you don't. The 750TX that KayossZero talked about is of higher quality than that OCZ and that Corsair was an older PSU.

From the newegg page w/ the PSU

1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

Not going to work anyway.. You need dual 8 pin connectors to power a 6990. With your rig you'd come up short.

Even if your PSU had the right connectors you're playing with fire anway.. Never ever ever ever ever be on the "fringe" of power requirements.. It's just going to cause nothing but problems and I'd guarantee you that you'd be out buying a new PSU in less than a month anyway.

I have a 6990.. When I bought it at release I had a 750 Watt PSU. I didn't even think twice, I just bought a new PSU along with it and went right to 1200 Watts. Overkill? Absolutely but I don't second guess power requirements, it's the life blood of a PC.

I could use the other connectors, I have a 2 x 4 pin molex to 8 pin pci-e so, I'll try that before upgrading.

A good rule of thumb is to always have 30% "reserve" in your power supply, at least on a high end gaming rig. Here are some reasons:

1) You want it to work on the hottest day of the year, where its output could be a lot less than in ideal conditions.
2) Capacitor aging can decrease the output of the PSU over time by ~15%
3) You never know what you might add to the system down the road.

Back