• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6970 also slower than 5970? :(

Nightbird

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
1,067
I just noticed this, I'm slow I guess. For all the talk of 5870 and 6870, there's another pitfall.

Why AMD why..... :(
 
because the 6970 is a single GPU and the 5970 is a dual GPU maybe ??....we all know the new naming scheme sucks when you compare it with the last gen....

also where did you find a review on teh 6970? I did a quick google search and had no lucky finding one from a review site i know.
 
174828vfbe7cpwwpbktq8t.jpg
 
I'm slow I guess.

Either that or Trolling.

It is obvious to anyone who thinks about it, that without a process shrink you aren't going to match the top performing Dual GPU with a Single GPU on the same process.
 
What firas posted, the 6970 will also be positioned below the 5970. I know that 5970 is dual GPU and the 6970 will be single, I know the vast improvement in performance and efficiency it will bring, and I know it will punt Nvidia to mainstream only, but the naming... When I read that 6870 will be the replacement for the 5770, I just thought whatever, since I was only interested in Cayman, but only now did it hit me, the 6970 I want to buy will suffer the same name confusion.

Cue Picard please.
 
The 6970 will be slightly slower than 5970 but well ahead of the GTX 480.
The 6990 will be beyond anything we can imagine, probably exceeding 480SLI.
 
I wouldn't get too worked up about arbitrary numbers. They mean nothing outside of their generation.

If you saw a Radeon 9700 pro and a Radeon 5870 on the shelf, you wouldn't assume the 9700 pro was more powerful, because you would know the numbers only mean something within that generation. Or if you saw an Xbox 360 on the shelf, you wouldn't wonder where Xbox 2 through 359 went.

It seems like you're getting hung up on "6 is close to 5".
 
Last edited:
The 6970 will be slightly slower than 5970 but well ahead of the GTX 480.
The 6990 will be beyond anything we can imagine, probably exceeding 480SLI.

You are severely underestimating mine and several other peoples imagination I think.
 
For similar performance, I would take the 6870 over the 5970 anytime of the day.
AFAIK, the 5870 was only sligthly faster than the 4870X2.
 
Either that or Trolling.

It is obvious to anyone who thinks about it, that without a process shrink you aren't going to match the top performing Dual GPU with a Single GPU on the same process.

unless they are able to make the die bigger with the new re-design.
6870 is faster and smaller.
 
Well I'm running 5850 cf and I can't wait to "downgrade" to the 6970. No more profile or scaling issues for me no sir ;) I'll have an extra slot to try a physx card too. It better have at least 1.5GB framebuffer though.
 
look at it like this.. The performance increase from the 5770 to the 5870 was Huge.. So if shit plays out with the tone AMD has already set then we should see a comparable gap between the 6870 & the 6970.. If thats the case then the numbers will be HUGE.
 
look at it like this.. The performance increase from the 5770 to the 5870 was Huge.. So if shit plays out with the tone AMD has already set then we should see a comparable gap between the 6870 & the 6970.. If thats the case then the numbers will be HUGE.

Except that, that comparison means absolutly nothing.
 
look at it like this.. The performance increase from the 5770 to the 5870 was Huge.. So if shit plays out with the tone AMD has already set then we should see a comparable gap between the 6870 & the 6970.. If thats the case then the numbers will be HUGE.

Probably not. The whole purpose of splitting the high end segment into the 68XX and 69XX series was to fill the gap between the 58XX and 57XX last generation..
 
Well I'm running 5850 cf and I can't wait to "downgrade" to the 6970. No more profile or scaling issues for me no sir ;) I'll have an extra slot to try a physx card too. It better have at least 1.5GB framebuffer though.

This. There is no doubt in my mind that a 6970 will give a smoother gameplay experience than a 5970 or CF 5850/5870. I'll probably do the same.
 
Last edited:
Some rumored performance numbers for the 6970:

Radeon HD 6970 (Cayman XT) 3DMark Vantage test results floating around in the X12000, but P mode is P24499. 在Unigine Heaven (1920 1200 4AA+16AF)环境设置下运行速度为36.6帧。 In Unigine Heaven (1920 1200 4AA +16 AF) environmental setting speed was 36.6 frames.

HD 5870 3DMark Vantage获得P19337的成绩,在Unigine Heaven (1920 1200 4AA+16AF)运行帧数为17.3 。 HD 5870 3DMark Vantage P19337 results obtained in Unigine Heaven (1920 1200 4AA +16 AF) running 17.3 frames. 同平台下GTX 480 3DMark Vantage获得P21106和X9309的成绩,在Unigine Heaven (1920 1600 4AA+16AF)速度为29.5。 The same platform GTX 480 3DMark Vantage P21106 and X9309 results obtained in Unigine Heaven (1920 1600 4AA +16 AF) speed is 29.5.

毫无疑问Radeon HD 6970(Cayman XT)将会是单卡之王 ,在相同状况下超出GTX 480性能10%以上,从测试中来说具备压制性的实力。 There is no doubt Radeon HD 6970 (Cayman XT) will be the king of a single card in the same circumstances beyond the GTX 480 performance above 10%, from tests run with oppressive power.

不过这张卡依旧是内部样卡,板型类似5870,核心频率在800MHz-900MHz范围内,供电接口为6+8,相信TDP应该在255W或者以上。 However, the card is still within the sample card, similar to plate 5870, the core at 800MHz-900MHz frequency range, power supply interface is 6 +8, I believe should be 255W TDP or more.

http://vga.zol.com.cn/195/1953715.html
 
Back
Top