6950 & GPU-Z

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone refresh me again what readings GPU Temp. #2 and #3 would be? I have a buddy's system over because it keeps crashing and this is the first thing I'm noticing is some crazy temps on Gpu Temp. #2 & #3

Code:
        Date        , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed [%] , GPU Load [%] , Fan Speed [RPM] , GPU Temp. #1 [°C] , GPU Temp. #2 [°C] , GPU Temp. #3 [°C] , VDDC [V] , VReg Temperature [°C] ,

2011-07-31 16:41:16 ,              500.0   ,               1375.0   ,               44.0   ,          24   ,          0   ,             -   ,            41.5   ,           116.0   ,           122.0   , 1.0000   ,                37.5   ,

probably the shader core or something like the ROPs. Or, some part of the PCB's components (like the MOSFETs or something - whatever is allowing the memory to run at full speed, yet forcing the shader core to go all the way down.

I'm assuming this is a HD6970? any aftermarket HSF attached? There are two reference revisions of the PCB, with different power circuitry placement.

EDDIT: title reading fail on me :(

Last edited:
It's an original 6950 with a EK block on it. I'm thinking that something may be up with the seating, but I figured I'd check if others knew what those two heat temps represented before I start ripping the block off.

okay, a bit more poking around implies at least two sensors are in the GPU die, while one is the memory sensor (whether testing one of the ICs, average of 8 ICs, or in one of the memory controllers, I dunno). (HD69xx single GPU cards).

All three sensors are on the GPU itself, but exact locations are unknown. If you hover over the readings in the sensor tab of GPU-Z, there is a pop-up that tells this much.

Think that fixed it, pulled the block off, re-pasted, reattached and things are much better now temp wise, and zero crashes in 3hours of kombuster whereas it was crashing the instant the GPU hit normal core speed earlier.

Code:
        Date        , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed [%] , GPU Load [%] , Fan Speed [RPM] , GPU Temp. #1 [°C] , GPU Temp. #2 [°C] , GPU Temp. #3 [°C] , VDDC [V] , VReg Temperature [°C] ,

2011-08-01 00:47:52 ,              500.0   ,               1375.0   ,               29.0   ,          24   ,          0   ,             -   ,            29.5   ,            37.5   ,            47.5   , 1.0000   ,                25.7   ,

Back