6900xt Reviews?

Im gonna say it here and make it clear, unless you can score a reference model on launch day, the Custom 6900xt boards are going to creep up to the 3090 msrp. Theres just too much wiggle room with regards to what the msrp actually means, and how much price gauging you can get in as an aib, as a slice of that ebay/ fb marketplace / crypto / 2nd hand market pie

I expect the custom 6900 XT to cost more than a RTX 3090.

I'm interested in the 6900XT and may try to grab one on launch day if possible. It would be nice if there were confirmations about AIB versions one way or the other ; I've seen some suggest that while they'll launch reference only, that AIB versions could be coming later. Others say there won't be any non-reference AIB designs at all, that it could be designed to be a relatively small volume halo product etc..so it would be nice to have AMD confirm things properly.

Ultimately both its price and performance will be critical and as much as I hope for the best, I admit concern because a product like this needs both performance and value to hit the target. With a MSRP of $1000 essentially vs the $650-700 of the 6800XT , as far as I'm aware its only major difference is 8 more CU and I'm just not sure if that's going to provide enough of an across the board performance boost to justify the price difference. Its also up against the $700 Nvidia 3080 , the $1500 3090, and perhaps a hypothetical "3080 Super / Ti w/ 16 - 20GB of RAM" that would debut somewhere in between. With its $1000 price, I'm perhaps most worried about the last category if Nvidia is pushed to release that "3080 Ti" for a similar price, but even putting that aside and dealing with currently released cards, its a challenge.

The favorable outcome will require the 6900XT to compete at and generally above the 3080 most of the time and trade blows significantly with the 3090. Being able to offer close to a 3090 experience for $500 less will be the best we can hope for, I think. While there are some situations - like pro-sumer applications or extremely large textures - where the 3090's 24GB of RAM will matter, if the 6900XT can generally compete it will be well placed. However, this would mean it needs a modest overall performance increase over the 6800XT and I worry that may not happen unless there's more to the specs or other features not yet made public. Otherwise, users may feel it better to just go with the cheaper 6800XT which competes pretty well with Nvidia's offerings, or if they really want to spend more and can make use of it, upgrade to the 3090. I hope for the best with the 6900XT, but I am concerned that its $300 price premium may not line up with its additional specs/power/performance.

I expect the custom 6900 XT to cost more than a RTX 3090.

LOL. No way in hell they cost 500 over reference lol. Its already a high margin product at 350 above 6800xt and not being a whole lot bigger chip wise. Shit if 6800xt are high at $200 and suppose to go down in Q1 according to AMD no way in hell they cost more than 3090. That is just unrealistic.

I'm interested in the 6900XT and may try to grab one on launch day if possible. It would be nice if there were confirmations about AIB versions one way or the other ; I've seen some suggest that while they'll launch reference only, that AIB versions could be coming later. Others say there won't be any non-reference AIB designs at all, that it could be designed to be a relatively small volume halo product etc..so it would be nice to have AMD confirm things properly.

Ultimately both its price and performance will be critical and as much as I hope for the best, I admit concern because a product like this needs both performance and value to hit the target. With a MSRP of $1000 essentially vs the $650-700 of the 6800XT , as far as I'm aware its only major difference is 8 more CU and I'm just not sure if that's going to provide enough of an across the board performance boost to justify the price difference. Its also up against the $700 Nvidia 3080 , the $1500 3090, and perhaps a hypothetical "3080 Super / Ti w/ 16 - 20GB of RAM" that would debut somewhere in between. With its $1000 price, I'm perhaps most worried about the last category if Nvidia is pushed to release that "3080 Ti" for a similar price, but even putting that aside and dealing with currently released cards, its a challenge.

The favorable outcome will require the 6900XT to compete at and generally above the 3080 most of the time and trade blows significantly with the 3090. Being able to offer close to a 3090 experience for $500 less will be the best we can hope for, I think. While there are some situations - like pro-sumer applications or extremely large textures - where the 3090's 24GB of RAM will matter, if the 6900XT can generally compete it will be well placed. However, this would mean it needs a modest overall performance increase over the 6800XT and I worry that may not happen unless there's more to the specs or other features not yet made public. Otherwise, users may feel it better to just go with the cheaper 6800XT which competes pretty well with Nvidia's offerings, or if they really want to spend more and can make use of it, upgrade to the 3090. I hope for the best with the 6900XT, but I am concerned that its $300 price premium may not line up with its additional specs/power/performance.

No non reference was before announcement and even then it was mentioned it won't until late Q1 for AIB. Also because AMD wanted to keep 6900xt in house and close to chest.

After the announcement and AIB knew for sure how it was they were all about it. It was reported that AMD is giving AIBs greenlight for faster release due to their interest. So I suspect XFX, Sapphire, Powercolor will be getting the first dibs and likely come out in January. So AIB boards are definitely coming. Its reported that AIBs can't show their designs yet. So you will likely seem them mid to late december.

No non reference was before announcement and even then it was mentioned it won't until late Q1 for AIB. Also because AMD wanted to keep 6900xt in house and close to chest.

After the announcement and AIB knew for sure how it was they were all about it. It was reported that AMD is giving AIBs greenlight for faster release due to their interest. So I suspect XFX, Sapphire, Powercolor will be getting the first dibs and likely come out in January. So AIB boards are definitely coming. Its reported that AIBs can't show their designs yet. So you will likely seem them mid to late december.

I hope we see AIB designs by tomorrow but either way even oem is fine by me. AMD builds the reference pcb well enough to where it will OC just as good as AIB when both are on water and thats all i care about. I’m hoping to get lucky enough to get one on the 8th because I plan to keep it and sell my Strix 3080. This would complete my first all AMD build ever (5950x/6900xt/Asus dark hero).

So tomorrow?? Sorry.. I have not been following closely as their is 0 stock on any of NV or AMD's latest offerings anyway. Just interested in where this new bit benchmarks.

Is there any expectation that the AIB versions will be significantly different / better vs the reference versions? I don't just mean a superior cooler, but actual power/VRM/PCB differences?

If like all other recent reviews. They will be released at 9am est the day of release. I also though AMD said there will be no AiB 6900xt. AMD will only be selling them.

Is there any expectation that the AIB versions will be significantly different / better vs the reference versions? I don't just mean a superior cooler, but actual power/VRM/PCB differences?
IDK, but that's a good question! 'Jay" said the XFX Merc was a 6900XT VRM PCB with a 6800XT GPU. If you like water blocks, in the past the ref cards were the one's that all makes had a block for them. With a ref card you waste less money on an air cooler you don't want to use anyway. It takes me months to buy open loop parts one thing at a time. EKWB ref Vega 64 $99, but an Asus Strix Vega 64 block is $164. Watercool has a great block for the ref card, but no Partner upgrade cards. I would say are you going to run it for one year and buy a 7000 series card or water cool it and go for four years? AIB used cards usually sell for more money.

From what we have seen of the 6800 / XT launch, no real people are going to get these cards other than reviewers.

Hey I'm a real person. But seriously yea they havent really restocked since I bought mine.
Yeah, I am saying it's going to be even worse than that. AMD has already said supply is far more limited than the 6800 stuff.

Hey I'm a real person. But seriously yea they havent really restocked since I bought mine.

When did you get yours? I have gotten 2-3 notifications from AMD site since launch but like always it was too late. Last week I got a bunch from newegg and same story. The day 3060ti launched there was a notification from bestbuy for 6800xt and gone again lol. So they are certainly flowing but demand too high and bots probably buying.

When did you get yours? I have gotten 2-3 notifications from AMD site since launch but like always it was too late. Last week I got a bunch from newegg and same story. The day 3060ti launched there was a notification from bestbuy for 6800xt and gone again lol. So they are certainly flowing but demand too high and bots probably buying.
I got mine the day after launch. I haven’t really seen micro center stock anymore xt’s since. Plenty of 3000 series since though.

I got mine the day after launch. I haven’t really seen micro center stock anymore xt’s since. Plenty of 3000 series since though.

Microcenter close me to always tend to be Nvidia heavy. Right so because they have been top for a while to move sales. But gotten quiet a few notification over last week. I am just waiting it out till january unless I get lucky. Not really chasing any cards at the moment. Was fairly quiet after launch. But almost everywhere they are gone by the time I click on notifications, they tend to be always late I now lol.

Good luck getting one on launch. When 6800xt launched I could never get one into cart on AMD's website. I even had a friend helping me out trying at the same time. Same issue with newegg, when I did see anything go into cart could not get it added and it was gone in seconds.

I'll try like everyone else, but expecting a fail again. At this point I'd be very happy to just get a 6800xt reference card (not even being picky here) and hold onto that until March or April, when hopefully 6900xt aib cards are easier to find without jumping through all these lame hoops and trusting to blind luck.

Ive camped, waited, stayed outside, etc... never seen an AMD card since launch at two Atlanta microcenters. Im counting on NOTHING this launch day either but total disappointment.

Probably be yet another paper launch, seen plenty of talk of retailers saying they've had more deliveries of unicorn shit.

Hahaha... Thinking about this... If AMD is smart, knowing how tight supply would be from either camp regardless, they would have shifted silicon allocation to the 6900 XT launch from the 6800 production.

Much higher margins and they'll fly off the shelves with this much pent up demand for anything.

Watch there be stock tomorrow morning. 😅

It's 6AM Pacific time (9AM Eastern). Not sure I want to wake up early, and I don't even need one right now, but it's kind of a fun game.

Tomorrow is the day that decides 6900 XT or 3090 for me. I have had a 3090 sitting on my desk, unopened, for nearly a month now. If I can score a 6900 XT tomorrow then I’ll be returning the 3090. If I can’t, I’m swapping the 3090 into my PC finally. No longer feel like playing the hardware hunting game.

Well selling does take on it's own risks, especially if you're doing it at MSRP. Lots of thirsty thieves out there.
This. $1500 is a good chunk of change that I’m not very willing to gamble on especially with PayPal’s garbage seller “protection”.

Either way, I don’t think it’ll be an issue as I see my chance of actually scoring a 6900 XT to be extremely slim. But a man can dream.

This. $1500 is a good chunk of change that I’m not very willing to gamble on especially with PayPal’s garbage seller “protection”.

Either way, I don’t think it’ll be an issue as I see my chance of actually scoring a 6900 XT to be extremely slim. But a man can dream.
I mean the 6900XT performs worse at 4K, so unless you need a boost in 1440P, I’m not sure why you would swap from a 3090.

I mean the 6900XT performs worse at 4K, so unless you need a boost in 1440P, I’m not sure why you would swap from a 3090.
Well...the 6900 XT is 2/3rds the cost of a 3090 so there's that. 3090 seems to be better overall after looking at the reviews but you pay quite a bit more for only a tiny bit more performance.

Either way, not like I have a choice. AMD's garbage website 503 error'd on me when I clicked Place Order within seconds of their product page going live and then banned me when I refreshed 5 times in a row.

Well no luck securing a 6900 xt. Guess I’ll stick with nvidia this generation.

Back