$69.99: WD Caviar Black 2TB @ Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
general consensus is look at the bottom if the part number ends in -netg and it's made in malaysia its a black, if it says made in thailand it's probably a green
are you saying look at the bottom of the drive I take it? I will have to look at the one I bought for my dad

I didn't say I thought WD Green is better. I was asking if F4 was really better than the Green. I just assumed they were about equal since both run at 5400 RPM. The Green does have 64MB of Cache vs 32MB for the F4, if that means anything.

I didn't say I thought WD Green is better. I was asking if F4 was really better than the Green. I just assumed they were about equal since both run at 5400 RPM. The Green does have 64MB of Cache vs 32MB for the F4, if that means anything.

Oh ok, I looked them both up on Passmarks bechmark charts and the EARS gets 626 and EADS gets 593, while the F4 gets 895.

Loving the HDDs atm, 110 megs transfer from between them, on a single drive, on a cheap controller. I am pleased :).

In for 1. Hoping Staples ships the ones with the blacks, but if not, $70 is still not a bad deal for a 2 TB plus enclosure.

are you saying look at the bottom of the drive I take it? I will have to look at the one I bought for my dad

bottom of the box has the part number

and fwiw smart data shows both my drives only being powered up a total of 6 times and < 1 hour

That only matters if your board has 3gb or 6gb sata. 32MB is 3gb sata 64MB is 6gb sata. ;)

That only matters if your board has 3gb or 6gb sata. 32MB is 3gb sata 64MB is 6gb sata. ;)

Mechanical hard drives can't even get close to the SATA 2 transfer limit so why is this dependent on the interface type?

I think the sale ended already. Online says $139.99 now :(

You are correct - the two-day sale ended last night.

I thought about driving out to the one Target near me that inidcated that they were in stock, but decided I didn't want to waste an hour driving (round-trip) just to find out that they only had the Green versions.

You are correct - the two-day sale ended last night.

I thought about driving out to the one Target near me that inidcated that they were in stock, but decided I didn't want to waste an hour driving (round-trip) just to find out that they only had the Green versions.

i wonder if they would price match staples online price. :)

Damn, I went to about 6 Targets in a 25mile radius, all I found was one drive NETG made in Maly. Opened it up and sure enough WD Black drive.

I was prepared to buy at least 10, ah well I saw the post late yesterday afternoon so that didn't help much jumping onboard late in the day.

Thank you to OP though! I now have a fancy $180 WD drive for $69 :)

Exactly. ;)

I went to a local target for which the online inventory was "Available" and there was nothing there.

I went to 2 Targets showing the same thing - Available (not Limited Supply); no drives. One salesguy told me the drives had been sold out for over 24 hours. If it weren't for the 2 Sony Blu-Ray Players for 99 bucks I picked up, I'd have been seething at Target and their lame-speed inventory system.

lol available means they are there within the hour: thats what someone told me
the system updates every hour---i saw LOTR for $8 at 10pm--went and couldnt find it--one guy said sorry all sold out as door busters but this other guy kept looking and found it--soo happy haha
then i checked the inventory on iphone after i bought it--said sold out lol

Does anybody know why I can't run two of these 2TB blacks together (non-RAID) in my EVGA Classified Windows 7 Ultimate system (system specs in signature)?

I have 1x SSD (OS), 1x Seagate 1.5TB (data) and two opticals. I took these out of the enclosures and I tried to install these two drives into the system but only one of them will show up. If I install one of them at a time, they each show up and work individually just fine. I've verified that both drives work and all SATA ports work fine as well.

It's not a capacity issue on my system because I've tried another 1TB Hitachi along with one of the 2TB WD Blacks and all the drives show up fine. Even if I unplug all other drives and only run the OS SSD plus the 2x 2TB WD Blacks, only one of the WD Blacks will show up. Mobo has latest BIOS and chipset drivers too.

Are they ONLY meant to be RAID or am I doing something wrong???

Anyone?

Does anybody know why I can't run two of these 2TB blacks together (non-RAID) in my EVGA Classified Windows 7 Ultimate system (system specs in signature)?

Try changing the name of the drive??? i know it says elements by default, or quick format them

Check "computer management" > "disk management" > right click in the HD that is not showing and select "Online"

That did it - MANY THANKS!!!

I was on the Disk Management screen multiple times today but never saw that option because I was right clicking on the right portion (where the names of the drives are listed) instead of the left portion (where the HD icon and Disk # are listed).

That saved me A LOT of work . . . I was just a couple steps away from reformatted EVERYTHING!

Hmm, not working with my Barracuda 7200.10

it works...i've got a barracuda 7200,10 400GB drive.

try taking it out of the case and see if it works. i know it sounds stupid but i had trouble with it inside the case because the power and usb connecters weren't seated correctly. took it out of the case and it worked like a champ. just be super careful putting it back in the case...the rubber feet weren't really made for non western digital drives in mind

Oh yeah forgot about that...lets see about 20-25 miles driven @ 20-25mpg in my sedan...

hmm about $3.00. WOW I GOT SCREWED :rolleyes: learn2math?

Don't forget to also include the $8.00 an hour you lost that you would've made if you were working your regular job delivering pizzas. :p

Yeah, we're cool, just consider yourself lucky you found one. Most who ventured out in search of them who weren't at Target first thing Friday morning were SOL.

By the way, 20-25 mpg, in the city, in a sedan, really? And where do you live that you have 6 Targets in a 25mile radius? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back