$69.99: WD Caviar Black 2TB @ Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target nearby me sold out... showed up as in limited supply on the online checker. I wish I had known about this yesterday.

Most targets should be sold out of these by now, at least thats what they told me. Mine were definitely gone.

For the less experienced, you can try pricematching at Staples or Worstbuy(Bestbuy) for these. They had no probably pricematching me at Bestbuy. I just snagged 3 from there for $69 each.

Also, if your staples happens to have any left over, I am sure they would pricematch since they will have them on sale tomorrow for the same price anyways + you can use coupons in addition...

:p

Most targets should be sold out of these by now, at least thats what they told me. Mine were definitely gone.

For the less experienced, you can try pricematching at Staples or Worstbuy(Bestbuy) for these. They had no probably pricematching me at Bestbuy. I just snagged 3 from there for $69 each.

Also, if your staples happens to have any left over, I am sure they would pricematch since they will have them on sale tomorrow for the same price anyways + you can use coupons in addition...

Good call, I will check Staples tomorrow.

anyone who opened this, how did you do it without hurting the case, its extremely tight. I can see how to open it, but I am not sure how to do it, without leaving small marks on the bottom.

NVM guys, Hint: use a sharp knife.

crap, i bought 4 before i read the part where they have to be made in Malay and not thailand... oh well, green's still good.

someone needs to post a video on how to open these :D

EDIT: Nevermind, opened one and yea, thailand ones are green and not black. :(

Last edited:
just cancelled my order from newegg for the samsungs f4, and got 3 of these at a brooklyn target. there were sooooo many netg/malaysian ones. Maybe i should buy another tomorrow...I just opened one up and installed it in my comp..all blacks!

same All 7 of mine were Blacks, If I had more money, I'd buy like 20 lol.

BB just told me no way when I called. They said they won't price match other retailers black Friday ads.

I was just able to find one at 7:45 pm. NETG Model. :D

I just realized it is a NETG model made in Thailand instead of Malaysia and found a Green drive instead of Black inside when I opened it.

So, let me get this straight, are all the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thailand NESN drives are greens then? That figures, all mine are those models...

Has anyone confirmed that?
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Just tried the Target in Modesto, CA...

They supposedly had 10 in stock, but they had no idea where they went. Either an employee stashed them somewhere, or they were stolen at some point during the Black Friday rush.

Just tried the Target in Modesto, CA...

They supposedly had 10 in stock, but they had no idea where they went. Either an employee stashed them somewhere, or they were stolen at some point during the Black Friday rush.

Same here. Since all mine were Black Ed I went back to get more and they couldn't find them anywhere. Oh well, I really had zero need for more than I already got.

Guys.. whats the best way to make sure u get the Black drive? I can go to a target down the street and check it.

Thanks.. thats my bad for not checking the post I figured it was scattered between the thread.

I guess some of the Malaysia vs Thailand info was scattered down farther too, I thought it was all in the first.

All the Targets in my area are out and Best Buy wouldn't price match.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and order from Staples when available or see if any better deals pop up on Monday.

BB wouldn't price match. The old hag at the checkout counter (there were four checkout clerks and I just knew I'd get the old hag) told me they won't pricematch the after Thanksgiving deals from other retailers so I asked for a manager and he showed me the BB ad that clearly stated this. I wanted to punch the old hag in the face as she sported a shit-eating grin while the manager was speaking with me, but I held my composure.

Staples had these on sale for $99 but were all sold out and next weeks ad does NOT show these to be on sale at all so not sure what people are talking about with Staples having them on sale tomorrow for the same price as Target had. :confused:

Bleh, showed in stock at a store about 30 minutes from here but they were sold out. Here's to Cyber Monday and hope!

I think it's gonna be a bit tricky to make sure you get the right drive there. How can you tell unless you call em out? It would suck to get a green instead of a black. BIG difference in performance.

By the store locator on the website, it said my location had "Limited Availability", but none to be found once I reached there myself. There are a couple of other locations in town that say they have them in stock but I guess the price expires today?

I think it's gonna be a bit tricky to make sure you get the right drive there. How can you tell unless you call em out? It would suck to get a green instead of a black. BIG difference in performance.

general consensus is look at the bottom if the part number ends in -netg and it's made in malaysia its a black, if it says made in thailand it's probably a green

The Target sale is over. But I'd like to know where they're on sale for the same price at Staples as the poster I quoted below mentioned.

I just found one in Chino Hills, CA. The cashier was surprised I found one, he said they all sold yesterday.

This is what I am seeing. Maybe because of cookies or something and I'm signed in.

Western Digital Elements 2TB External Hard Drive

Save $90

Now $69.99

Reg. $159.99

Order now

Online only

This is the link the you want.

http://www.staples.com/cyber-monday...:E:Y:B:Thanksgiving_2010:Staples_Cyber_Monday

It looks like this won't be available until late Sunday.

The only thing is you won't know if it is a black or not. I couldn't get any drives at my local Target either, so I decided on the Samsung F4 at $80 Newegg since those are the drives everyone really wants. The WD are $75 after tax for me anyways, so I would rather spend the extra money for the faster and generally more reliable F4.

Last edited:

http://www.staples.com/cyber-monday...:E:Y:B:Thanksgiving_2010:Staples_Cyber_Monday

OK, thanks for the help. And Yes, I created an account so its available like Woody75 said. Although I see it now, when you add it to your cart the price is $159.99. I reckon the sale hasn't started yet. Where do you see when the sale starts?

The only thing is you won't know if it is a black or not. I couldn't get any drives at my local Target either, so I decided on the Samsung F4 at $80 Newegg since those are the drives everyone really wants. The WD are $75 after tax for me anyways, so I would rather spend the extra money for the faster and generally more reliable F4.

I'm just going to be using this for backup purposes so the Black version, while desireable, isnt really of major importance. By the way, your Samsung F4 isn't at Black specs, either. Its more akin to the Green at 5400 RPM and you'll need an enclose unless you plan on installing it internally.

Where are you seeing that it starts late Sunday and not early Sunday?

Also does anyone know what time zone Staples goes by? I don't see mention of a time or time zone anywhere that is jumping out at me.

I went ahead and ordered two Samsung F4s off Newegg. After tax on the WDs I only spent $10 more to get the drives I want, I can live with that. And if by chance the drives go on sale Monday I would expect Newegg to be willing to give me a price adjustment.

OK, thanks for the help. And Yes, I created an account so its available like Woody75 said. Although I see it now, when you add it to your cart the price is $159.99. I reckon the sale hasn't started yet. Where do you see when the sale starts?

I'm just going to be using this for backup purposes so the Black version, while desireable, isnt really of major importance. By the way, your Samsung F4 isn't at Black specs, either. Its more akin to the Green at 5400 RPM and you'll need an enclose unless you plan on installing it internally.

Yes, that is what I meant better than the Green not Black.

Where are you seeing that it starts late Sunday and not early Sunday?

Also does anyone know what time zone Staples goes by? I don't see mention of a time or time zone anywhere that is jumping out at me.

Sorry, I was wrong the sale starts 12:00AM PST. That would be at 2AM for me. :D

I went ahead and ordered two Samsung F4s off Newegg. After tax on the WDs I only spent $10 more to get the drives I want, I can live with that. And if by chance the drives go on sale Monday I would expect Newegg to be willing to give me a price adjustment.

I would expect NewEgg to give a price adjustment.

Yes, that is what I meant better than the Green not Black.

Samsung F4 > WD Green, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back