6870 xfire trouble

KaizerDan

Gawd
So Ive been running crossfire on a build for about a week now testing it out before I ship it off. It was going fine till 2 days ago. I went to play Black Ops and after 5 min my computer locked up. I had to the whole hold down power yadda yadda. Repeated the process with the same outcome. Then just went and turned off Crossfire and the game worked fine. Later that day went to turn Crossfire back on, and it magically work again.
I shut the computer off at night and the next day went to load up the game, and again, same system freeze. So after trial and error I've found that every time I shut down/boot up I have to disable Crossfire and re-enable it before the game will work.

Anyone know what will cause this? Ive updated the drives to the E hot fix after the problem started and that didn't fix it. Just not wanting to ship it off and tell my brother he will have to go through that crap every time he wants to play a game...

When your getting hard locks, does the whole system freeze? Wait a little while.... see if you get any driver related errors pop up over the Catalyst icon.

I was having the same problems. Try running that second card in the first slot on it's own, see if you still get freezes and locks.

Well, after messing around with it more it seems to be an issue with either CCC or the graphic drivers not sure which yet.

The whole system does freeze and it wont recover.

The reason i think its CCC is that i cant auto tune the card/change fan speeds or anything. It shows it as being there, I can mess with the main one. but i just cant use the second card till i undo and re-enable crossfire. I tried uninstalling and re installing CCC but that didnt seem to help. And ive also flipped the cards around and nothing new.
I should also add that both of these cards where tested in different computers before I put them in Crossfire and both worked fine at the time.

P.S. Lol at ASUS for giving me an SLI bridge with one of the cards... was going to test the xfire bridge but now im stuck with only one.

If anyone knows anything on how to make this just plain work... I will do unspeakable things for you...

In honor of thanksgiving season, I bring you good tiding of "the last supper"

15330_432912665680_503090680_5779886_6670959_n.jpg

Well, after messing around with it more it seems to be an issue with either CCC or the graphic drivers not sure which yet.

The whole system does freeze and it wont recover.

The reason i think its CCC is that i cant auto tune the card/change fan speeds or anything. It shows it as being there, I can mess with the main one. but i just cant use the second card till i undo and re-enable crossfire. I tried uninstalling and re installing CCC but that didnt seem to help. And ive also flipped the cards around and nothing new.
I should also add that both of these cards where tested in different computers before I put them in Crossfire and both worked fine at the time.

P.S. Lol at ASUS for giving me an SLI bridge with one of the cards... was going to test the xfire bridge but now im stuck with only one.

Odd suggestion, but flip the Crossfire bridge.

Also, did you install the drivers at the start with both cards in the machine?

Oh, and update the onboard LAN drivers. There have been weird screw ups with the CCC and the generic Windows drivers for some Realtek LAN. How or why, gawd only knows.

The reason i think its CCC is that i cant auto tune the card/change fan speeds or anything. It shows it as being there, I can mess with the main one. but i just cant use the second card till i undo and re-enable crossfire. I tried uninstalling and re installing CCC but that didnt seem to help.

It has nothing to do with your situation, but the second card in crossfire goes into a low power mode, which basically shuts off the nonprimary GPUs, when there is nothing running on it/them.

Odd suggestion, but flip the Crossfire bridge.

Also, did you install the drivers at the start with both cards in the machine?

Oh, and update the onboard LAN drivers. There have been weird screw ups with the CCC and the generic Windows drivers for some Realtek LAN. How or why, gawd only knows.

Ill try flipping it later, see what that does. About the drivers, I did the video drivers with the one card in. but then i went and got the the xfire crap after I put the second card in, with the extra profiles and such. Ill give the lan drivers a shot, but i used the disk that came with my Rampage G III to install all the basic drivers.

To get my 6850 crossfire setup working I had to do the following (I was using a single 6850 for a week or so before getting the second card).
1. uninstall/driver sweeper all ATI driver stuff, shut down.
2. install first card
3. fresh install with only primary (top) card installed, shut down.
4. install second card
5. RE-install drivers over the top with both cards installed and reboot.

I have also found that sometimes if you have different brands of cards (I have 1 XFX, 1 Gigabyte) it works better with one of them in the primary slot (XFX in my case). Had a little more trouble with the Gigabyte in the primary slot. I had the same issue previously with my 5750s- had an engineering sample and an XFX, and I had to run the Engineering Sample in the primary slot, and the XFX in the second.

Back