• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800NU +16 Pipes?

Guys, keep in mind the posts he is quoting is NOT a 6800nu, it's a 6800GE. That's an Asus-only card, it's sort of a hybrid between a regular 6800 and a 6800GT (it uses 256mb memory instead of 128mb, and uses GDDR3 instead of DDR1 - obviously, requiring a different BIOS layout than 'standard' 6800nus - more like 6800 GTs or Ultras in any case).

We still have NO confirmations of a BIOS flash restoring an honest-to-goodness, plain-Jane 6800nu back to the original 12-pipe configuration on a failed 16-pipe attempt. Further, there are at least 2 confirmations on Guru3d that it does NOT work on regular 6800nus.

Per Unwinder (the creator of RivaTuner):
Now is is not pretty clean if it is specific to 6800U PCB used on ASUS V9999GE, because it was impossible to reproduce the same effect of different 6800s before. Investigation is in progress, stay tuned.
 
Do you guys think this trick could work with the new Dell/Nvidia Geforce 6800 GTO models too? It has almost the same exact build as the GE: 12 Pipes, 5 V-Shaders, 256 GDDR3 mem, 350MHz core, 900 MHz memory. That would be hawt!
 
6800GTOwned said:
Do you guys think this trick could work with the new Dell/Nvidia Geforce 6800 GTO models too? It has almost the same exact build as the GE: 12 Pipes, 5 V-Shaders, 256 GDDR3 mem, 350MHz core, 900 MHz memory. That would be hawt!

I think it depends more on if the card is on the 6800 GT/Ultra PCB or the 6800nu PCB (card layout).
 
Hmm, well since it came factory installed I have no clue on its layout other than the specs from Dell, and I'm waaay to n00by with pc hardware to open up my comp and look for myself. Any other way to find out?
 
6800GTOwned said:
Hmm, well since it came factory installed I have no clue on its layout other than the specs from Dell, and I'm waaay to n00by with pc hardware to open up my comp and look for myself. Any other way to find out?
If you're inexperienced enough to be afraid of opening your computer to check something as simple as this you most definitely should not be messing with the vid card's BIOS. :p Safest way to know the possibilities of employing a BIOS trick like this is checking the specs of the memory on the card (by simply looking at it) and the layout of the components on the card.
 
Gah! i read this ientire thread lol and all i managed to walk away with is the average cost of housing and schooling in Hawaii.... hmm i just wanna know about the softmod...

oh yeah and another thing, waht last screen is that guy talking about on ATItool? i know it has two different test methods while auto overclocking but not when its testing for artifacts...when its testing for artifacts the 3d screen never changes..
 
Well, I did a bit of searching and found this post about the GTO over at the nV News forums:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36844

"A friend of mine just got one of these today. Its a single slot pci express. dual dvi, 256MB memory, one power connector. Sure looks like just a pci express GT card. There is no fancy artwork/stickers on the heat sink/fan assembly. It has a physical bracket across the back of the card screwed into the motherboard to hold it up and latched onto the top of the card."

Sounds like it's got a GT PCB. That makes it eligible right? :D
 
Maybe, maybe not, in either case you'd still want to know what kinda memory there's on it so you know how far to push it... Regardless of how low you set it on the new BIOS (since if you don't set it lower by modifying the new BIOS you'll load on it, the card will likely not work if the RAM doesn't like the new speeds).
 
dderidex said:
I think it depends more on if the card is on the 6800 GT/Ultra PCB or the 6800nu PCB (card layout).
clueless gay mf, thats wat u think. dumb f is scaring gp's with bs.

so according to u, u can get 12pipelines back with original bios flash only if u have 6800nu with non-6800nu pcb??

n lets just say ur bs is right, there will be many 128mb 6800nu out there that can run 100% 16pipes anyway, unless all 6800nu nvidia used has defective pipes.
 
I'm just posting what Unwinder said. He is the creator of Rivatuner - a little utility you might have heard of? The only cards known to be able to flash back to 12-pipes after an attempt at flashing to a 16-pipe bios are cards on a 16-pipe-capable PCB. Period. There have been NO reports of ANY cards on the 6800nus flashing to a 16-pipe configuration and being able to flash back to 12-pipe. In fact, we have reports that this fails.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, but if you want to turn your card into a paperweight, who am I to stop you?
 
lol wat a gay mf.

ur hero also said "If your BIOS doesn't have softmasked units, you won't unlock anything with flash. Is it so difficult to get?"

then he said,
"As I’ve assumed yesterday, it is really possible to force the GPU to ignore hardware units mask and activate all of them, even defective ones."
after realizing that u can flash the card to enable 16 pipes.
 
6800GTOwned said:
Hmm, well since it came factory installed I have no clue on its layout other than the specs from Dell, and I'm waaay to n00by with pc hardware to open up my comp and look for myself. Any other way to find out?

If you can't even look into your case, don't mess with softmodding your card. Way too nice of a card to have it get fried =[
 
Chaballaman said:
lol wat a gay mf.

Sorry I might be dense ... but

wat = what
u - you
n = and

... what does mf means?

I'm actually amazed I can read some of your sentences ... :D
 
I'm assuming mf = mother f****er

Seriously - read some of this guy's other posts. I don't think he's made a single post on this forum YET where every other word isn't an expletive. Amazed he hasn't been banned yet. People should really report his offensive posts more often. It's that little exclamation mark in the triangle in the lower left corner.

As to the topic on hand, Unwinder is making a new patch script that should do what the BIOS flash does. BUT....he doesn't know if he's going to release it yet, since it has NEVER WORKED ON ANY BOARD. In fact, he thinks he MIGHT have broken a card trying!

NVIDIA does seem to have problems with manufacturing yields, and the units are not masked just for fun. For example, unlocked hardware masked pixel / vertex units on Digit-Life’s ASUS V9999GE caused major rendering artifacts, unlocked hardware masked vertex unit on my MSI NX6800 boosted vertex processing performance in 3Dmark2003/VertexShader by up to 20%, but seems to work extremely unstable causing system to hang pretty often. Furthermore, I have serious stability problems even after disabling it so probably it is possible that attempt to enable ‘bad’ unit may even cause permanent hardware damage. I’ve not found the reason of my instability yet, but I don’t exclude such a possibility.
Anyway, testing is currently in progress. If you’re brave enough, if you don’t afraid to fry your NV40 after enabling bad units and wish to assist with 15.2 beta testing – just contact me. If we’ll find at leas one system working properly after enabling hardware masked units – this function will be included in the next public release of RT.
 
tree_ said:
If you can't even look into your case, don't mess with softmodding your card. Way too nice of a card to have it get fried =[

Well, I've got 2 semesters of C++ under my belt... but I don't know jack about pc hardware.....

Can you do it for me? :D
 
6800GTOwned said:
Well, I've got 2 semesters of C++ under my belt... but I don't know jack about pc hardware.....

Hang around here long enough and you'll learn something.
 
I would still not recommend the BIOS flash, as again, there is NO INSTANCES OF FLASHING BACK EVER REPORTED WORKING!

That said....

For those who can wait...

Apparently, there is a new version of RivaTuner in the works that does *almost* the same thing the BIOS flash does at unmasking 'hardware masked' pipes, but it's obviously more easily reversible. Seems hit-or-miss (only 2 boards reported working with it so far, but they had been otherwise un-moddable before), and no 'dead' boards using *this* method yet (as opposed to the BIOS flash method).

Approximate ETA on the updated version of RivaTuner is 10/4/04, so I would STRONGLY recommend not trying the BIOS flash and instead wait for this.
 
Can someone give me linkage to specific success/fail reports of the softmod? I'm wondering if any brands are more or less likely to work than others. I just bought a BFG 6800 OC last week. The bump over my FX5600 is so huge, I'm not really hungry yet to try for more, but I know the day WILL come... :)

Edit: By softmod I mean the RivaTuner checkbox rather than a BIOS flash...
 
No qualified successes whatsoever yet AFAIK with any cards but the VIVO ASUS which have a different design than the vast majority of 6800s.
 
Critofur said:
When I think of someone spending $400 for just a graphics card, that's not upgradable, and will be replaced with something faster in just 6 months, I don't think "enthusiast" I think RETARD or somebody smoking crack with too much money to blow.
For me enthusiast means: Holy crap that $400 vid. card is so screaming fast! I don't nearly have enough money <i'm a college student> but I will work my tail off to get it. It is always wanting to be on top regardless of the cost. Personally I hate playing games @ 800x600 on low or med qual. on an old craptastic vid. card. And honestly I doubt anyone here really has the money to spend but hey they work their butts off too. Some can't get them and envy and mock us, so hey don't be so harsh.
 
Yeap, $400 is still not a whole lot compared to other hobbies/vices and their associated costs (some which may be spread out and you wouldn't really notice 'em unless you keep a monthly/yearly record). Just so long as each person strikes their own balance, it's all good.
 
Chaballaman said:
np fugu.

so anyone flash it yet? result?

dont listen to that d watever he is full of s...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=812529&page=3

Wrong answer. Your response to a mod's warning is to say "np" and then you proceed to call someone "full of s..."?

This will be your last warning that you are skating on extremely thin ice. Read the Rules about flaming and rethink your posting style or you'll get a free vacation from your posting privileges. ;)
 
Back
Top