• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800GT + nForce 3 250gb

MAB

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
103
Is there a performance increase if you have a 6800GT + a nForce 3 250gb mobo? If so how much?
 
Not sure about this one buddy... did read an article about this a while back though It was pre 6800 days I think they used a 5900 and can't recount the platform I'll have a search for it but it's certainly quite possible .
 
Here it is..

Not to sure as to the reputation of this site good or otherwise but shows proof of concept I don't see why they (nvidia) whould choose not to implement it with 6800's if the data linked is
valid . Maybee the optimisations where implemented on the nforce3 just for the FX architecture....although.... I'm sure nvidia when they released the nfoce3 250 would have had a good idea as to the 6800 architecture but nothing seems to be floating around about it so who knows .
.....not amazing gains but some where quite large .
 
someone should test this out with 6800's maybe someone could get kyle to do it i bet he has mobos and a64's laying around lol
 
Dualspaniel said:
Here it is..

Not to sure as to the reputation of this site good or otherwise but shows proof of concept I don't see why they (nvidia) whould choose not to implement it with 6800's if the data linked is
valid . Maybee the optimisations where implemented on the nforce3 just for the FX architecture....although.... I'm sure nvidia when they released the nfoce3 250 would have had a good idea as to the 6800 architecture but nothing seems to be floating around about it so who knows .
.....not amazing gains but some where quite large .

The guys over at Tech Report have a very good reputation within the community. Dr. Damage even did the news over here a couple of times before Kyle signed Steve on. So you can at least say that they did their best and can reproduce those results.
 
I have a MSI K8N Neo Platnium, and its a 250gb chipset motherboard. I have had a X800 Pro, and 6800 GT in it. Ive seen this rumor about the alleged speed increase, but I have my doubts. I dont have a difference chipset to test it on now, but I did have a Chaintech VNF-250, which is a NF3-250 chipset, not the gb version. I didnt notice any difference, but I wasnt looking for one at the time either.

There is however a hidden bios feature on my motherboard. When you go into "Cell Menu" (where you change the FSB, multipllier, ram timings, etc.) if you hit Shift+F2 there are a few hidden options. One of them is, "NV/ATI Speed Up". It is disabled by default, and there is no mention of it anywhere in the manual, or in any other official channel.

Ive enabled and disabled it, but to be honest have seen no difference in performance. I have however only tried 3Dmark2001, and Farcry as benchmarks. But the difference was virtually the same.
 
i was just about to post the same thing about the msi board shift f2 feature.

i dont have another mobo to compare my 9800p against my 6800gt on both .
the way that first weblink refrenced it seemed the best testing method.

ive seen anand refrence the speed boost several times but dont remeber him showing his testing. my theory on how they could design it would be if they designed an extra agp row to make like agp 9x or maybe they o/c or tighten the agp link latency speed.

anyhow id also love to read more about it. nothing like paying 400$ for a card 280$ cpu 150mobo. and then later find out you got extra bonuses!!!
 
Thanks for straitening me out on that one tim wasn't implying anything just beeing a healthy sceptic . :cool:
 
Dualspaniel said:
Thanks for straitening me out on that one tim wasn't implying anything just beeing a healthy sceptic . :cool:

Naw, it's just sad how much about the history of this place I know, considering I've only worked here for about a month, now. :p
 
I still dont buy into this NF3250gb+FX/6800 being faster together. Here is a review (not intended to prove/disprove the theory) it shows only one game, where the NF3 is substantially faster. And in most OpenGL games, the Via is faster, barely. I believe if this was really true, it would be really widespread, with coverage all over.

To what I was talking about before, here are a few shots to explain it better. The first is without hitting Shift+F2, the second is after I did.

NVATI1.JPG


NVATI2.JPG


But as I said, I noticed no difference, toggling it on or off. This is with a BFG 6800 GT OC. I didnt try it when I have my X800 Pro, I wasnt aware of this hidden setting when I had it.
 
fallguy said:
I still dont buy into this NF3250gb+FX/6800 being faster together. Here is a review (not intended to prove/disprove the theory) it shows only one game, where the NF3 is substantially faster. And in most OpenGL games, the Via is faster, barely. I believe if this was really true, it would be really widespread, with coverage all over.

To what I was talking about before, here are a few shots to explain it better. The first is without hitting Shift+F2, the second is after I did.

http://home.comcast.net/~dfall/NVATI1.JPG[img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~dfall/NVATI2.JPG[img]

But as I said, I noticed no difference, toggling it on or off. This is with a BFG 6800 GT OC. I didnt try it when I have my X800 Pro, I wasnt aware of this hidden setting when I had it.[/QUOTE]

The original benchmarks were with the 5950. I think that nvidia may try to do the same thing with the 6800, but I don't think that they've had as much of a chance to optimize it as of yet.
 
Back
Top