6800 -> 6800 ULTRA MOD -=- Anyone done it yet?

Heh, I hear you there... I am completely satisfied with my video card (especailly considering what I paid for it). But, there is always that tweaker inside of me... the same one that has killed two 9800 pros...

It wasn't my fault, damnit! I got teh ATI worm! Die spammer die!

Anyway... anyone tried this mod?

Kern said:
Heh, I hear you there... I am completely satisfied with my video card (especailly considering what I paid for it). But, there is always that tweaker inside of me... the same one that has killed two 9800 pros...

It wasn't my fault, damnit! I got teh ATI worm! Die spammer die!

Anyway... anyone tried this mod?

Haha yea, i was gonna try it on my 9800pro also ;) Any good guides out there that flashes your card to a 6800gt rather than an ultra?

over clocking stuff is just asking for problems,
i have my bfg 6800 card stock
t runs great,
remeber what they say ifs not broke dont fix it

tazz said:

Yea... and then you have your first "overclocking experience". It's almost euphoric, enlightening even... and you need more... and more... and suddenly you realize that there should be people out there to help people like yourself... but by this time you've already killed your hardware and need to buy more...

So, the way I see it, computer companies are USING us, using our addiction, because they KNOW we will fry our parts and come crawling back for more...

Bastards.

Anyway, anyone tried this mod yet?

tazz said:
over clocking stuff is just asking for problems,
i have my bfg 6800 card stock
t runs great,

But its not broken nor are you fixing it, you're just oc'ing it ;)

If its not broke, you're not trying "Hard" enough. If you OC with caution, your hardware should be safe.

Last time I tried a solder job of this caliber on something I had bought I killed a Dreamcast... :p Still kinda sore from that despite it being, well, a Dreamcast. Damnit I still long to play the Japanese Cap vs. SF I bought on that thing. :eek:

And to add, it would be impossible to mod a 6800 to a 6800 Ultra because the memory is different. The vanilla 6800 use DDR1 and the GT/Ultra use the GDDR3 type. To do this require a big solder job to remplace the memory chips and a few components to make it a ultra.

This is why a 6800GT is a better deal because it is very easy to softmod to a 6800Ultra.

EDIT : Forgot to read the article in the first post but i already read it. It was explaining the modding in general and how to mod a 6800LE to a 6800 and mod a 6800GT to a Ultra/Ultra Extreme, not a 6800 -> 6800 Ultra for the reason cited in the first sentence.

Xilikon said:
EDIT : Forgot to read the article in the first post but i already read it. It was explaining the modding in general and how to mod a 6800LE to a 6800 and mod a 6800GT to a Ultra/Ultra Extreme, not a 6800 -> 6800 Ultra for the reason cited in the first sentence.

Actually, no, he took a 6800LE and by comparing it to a 6800nu first, and then an Ultra, he mod' it to the point where it was an Ultra. True, it's not an Ultra per se as the memory is still slower and will never OC to the point where it runs as fast as an Ultra's memory, but he soldered the pipes so they're recognized permanently and the whole shebang is recognized as an Ultra under the drivers (an Ultra w/DDR1).

True, you are right :)

However, it is a mod just to change the displayed name in the device list and i still keep my opinion it will never be a true Ultra due to memory.

Also, i thought a simple bios flash can change the name by playing with the hardware id.

Yes, you can change the name of it in BIOS (I have mine reading different stuff whenever people come over and show them my "special card"). We know that a 300 dollar card will never EQUAL a close to 600 dollar card, but we're just curious about if the mod increases perfomance.

Sounds like alot of work to me. I'd pay the extra 100 and get a GT, then overclock that to an ultra...but still...there is something about the very challenge of getting a non-ultra flashed to an ultra...

Kern said:
We know that a 300 dollar card will never EQUAL a close to 600 dollar card
I wouldnt say that. Many bought the $330 eVGA 6800LE from newegg. It came with all 16 pipes and with a bios flash, runs 425/1100. The ultra sells for ~$600 at newegg. It was a card in short supply and most seemed to work out, Im happy :D

Back