• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

680 4GB or 690

FalcX

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
70
Im debating which card to get for my new build when they are available. Ive been through the forums alot picking out info. I have a 27in monitor and am going 2560x1440 res on anything I do. I do gaming (atm D3 and BF3) and am only looking for a single card option. I also like the eye candy.

What if any issues would there be with the 680 4 GB is what Im lookin for. And is the 690 overkill. I only upgrade about every 3+ years. Im going to be running a 3770k on most likely a Sabertooth mb.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Well, that 690 is going to be approximately as fast as 680 SLI unless you run into a VRAM-limited situation. So far 2 GB of VRAM has not proven to be a problem for 99% of applications.
 
Falc, I don't care what anyone says, 4gb can help you get better image quality at 5760x1200. MSAA takes VRAM. You can exceed 2gb quite easily in a few games, in other games you will be limited to FXAA or 2X MSAA. If you're doing 3 30"s, 4gb will help unquestionably.

Edit: after re-reading your post falc, I see you're doing 2560x1440. Get a 2gb card, 4gb will not help you much at that resolution.
 
690 Looks like it would fit your build and reqs. any chance of multi monitor in your future?
 
Ya, I forgot to mention that I would like to add a screen or 2 eventually. I do have my old BenQ 24in sitting behind the 27in atm.
 
690, it'll probably cost you more than two 680s, but if you want one card that's your best bet.
 
For that matter, get two 670's and save a lot of money for 95% of the performance of a 690.
 
Back
Top