6700K SLI sidegrade or improvement?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
OK. I've read through the 6700k review thread and kind of have an idea of what you get from a 6700k using single GPU. However, I'm not so sure as to the benefits in a multi GPU setup @ higher resolutions.

I've just impulsively ordered a 6700K mobo+ram combo from newegg, but am now having doubts - did I just make a side-grade? (performance wise only). I currently game @ 1600p using the rig in my signature. The thing is, the monitor is @60hz and I don't plan on going to 4K just yet, but will do so eventually. I really just want higher minimum frames.

According to this, it is a 980 SLI boost at 1440p, but will that boost diminish as resolution increases (eg @4k) using more powerful GPU's like my 980ti's?

Any ideas/advice?

Kind of. But you do pick up a lot other features from the past 4 years. You finally move to PCIe 3.0 from 2.0 with the 2600k. You'll get increased performance, but I'm not sure what you'll "see" at 1600p. I mean, can you tell the difference between 70 and 75 FPS?

I had a pair of 7970's that kept an old sandy [email protected] pretty darn busy on a single 27" display. Probably a good idea to upgrade the 2600k to the 6700k to support your 980ti's.

My2c.

The higher the res, the lower your framerate.
The lower your framerate, the lower your CPU dependence.

Dual card it would likely be helpful at 1080p and maybe 1440p (at 100Hz+)
I found an upgrade from a clocked 2500K to a clocked 6600K helped at 1080p 60Hz with a single clocked 980ti.
But if you intend on going to 4K with SLI 980ti, your framerate will be lower so will get less benefit.

Last edited:
The higher the res, the lower your framerate.
The lower your framerate, the lower your CPU dependence.

Dual card it would likely be helpful at 1080p and maybe 1440p (at 100Hz+)
I found an upgrade from a clocked 2500K to a clocked 6600K helped at 1080p 60Hz with a single clocked 980ti.
But if you intend on going to 4K with SLI 980ti, your framerate will be lower so will get less benefit.

What do you think about the minimum frames?

What do you think about the minimum frames?

That is my main concern, it was easy enough to average 60fps, the minimums are what gave me trouble.

I was having problems with Project Cars jerking when it dropped below 60fps @ 1080p using a clocked 2500K as it maxed out.
Witcher 3 and GTA V also gave a few issues but they seem to be much less now after patches.

Upgrading to the 6600K and clocking it cured everything.
Even without clocking, Witcher 3 became smoother than the clocked 2500K.
I can sustain 60fps @ 1080p with a single clocked 980ti in any game now.
The only time it dips below 60fps now is if I forget to clock the 980ti.

So apart from the new chipset features, I'm not actually making any progress with minimum frames >1600p with SLI 980Ti's?

If not, I hope I can cancel the order before it ships....

When I suffer framerate issues, they are more jerky if it is the CPU maxing out than if it is the GPU maxing out.

If you are currently suffering framerate/stuttering issues and cpu use is over 90% on any core, you should see an improvement.
If CPU use on any core is over 80% and you have stuttering, that can sometimes be CPU generated as well because CPU use is averaged over 1 second and spikes can occur without showing on the average figures.

With 980ti SLI you most def will see a benefit upgrading your cpu. The faster memory will help in CPU bound areas as well. I should know, I was just at 1440p 60hz with 980ti SLI and I played around with CPU scaling just to get an idea of what was needed and what was not. The fact is it's a game by game basis, some games need more CPU than others. Fallout 4 is one recently that is CPU bound to hell when maxed out with ini tweaks and mods. Increasing the draw distance and zones to render it gets extremely heavy on the CPU and double 980ti's won't help a lick there. It's one of the reasons I sold mine off, @ 1440p 60hz nothing more than a 980 is needed for 99% of games if you have a 2500k oc'ed or higher.

I'll give it a go. Hopefully it can tame frame times/min frames for my 980 Ti's even more...not that my 2600k isn't currently doing the job. I'm dreading redoing the cables in my rig....doh

5930K at microcenter $399 then toss in the deals with the Mobos and ram its like stealing!

6700k from 2600k is a definite upgrade for SLI. I did the same thing. Here were my benchmark comparisons. You'll probably pick up ~10% performance, clock for clock, vs the 2600k at 1600p. If you play any CPU heavy games, it will be more obvious.

Okay, some benchmark comparisons.

TLDR
Firestrike Normal - 6700k 29% faster
Firestrike Ultra - 6700k 3% faster
Cinebench R15 - 6700k 21% faster

2600k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

vs

6700k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

6700k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889545

2600k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5315588

6700k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889059

2600k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5365581

6700k, Cinebench R15 - 1028

2600k, Cinebench R15 - 822

Last edited:
Nice results. Have you noticed any improvements concerning minimum frames in games by any chance?

I went from SLI 970s to a single TI. Before I got rid of the 970s I ran several benchmarks in Novigrad (the most demanding area of Witcher 3).

I had 970s on PCI 3.0 with a 3770k. Each one was getting 8x PCIE 3.0. If I ran a single card at 16x PCI 3.0, versus a single card at 8.0, it was 10-12% faster at choke points. That is ONLY a 970.

PCIE 3.0 8x is equivalent to PCIE 2.0 16x on your sandybridge chip, so you cards were getting the equivalent to PCIE 3.0 4x for each card.

Personally after doing that testing I would not run SLI 980 TIs on anything less than a 5930k - that way they both get full 16x lanes of 3.0.

I can not say how much 980 tis are giving up on 8x in demanding scenarios, but it has to be more than a 970. If you are giving up 15-30% performance, then that sucks.

So no I do not think you sidegraded. You definitely upgraded by going to 3.0 and more clock speed, but if you just ordered it and have a MC available, I would think hard about a 5930k if you have already invested in SLI 980 tis.

Nice results. Have you noticed any improvements concerning minimum frames in games by any chance?

Hard to tell. I don't tend to revisit many games but the upgrade has definitely been an upgrade for me. With that being said, I would wait for the next set of chips from Intel to roll out before making a decision - if it were me - at this point.

Hard to tell. I don't tend to revisit many games but the upgrade has definitely been an upgrade for me. With that being said, I would wait for the next set of chips from Intel to roll out before making a decision - if it were me - at this point.

I wish I could wait. I can return the motherboard and ram, but not the CPU from newegg. As such, besides the new chipset features & benchmarking gains, it wont be that much different. Regardless, i'll give it a go and see.

I just bought a 5820k for $339 and have that sitting here too. This bad boy is huge compared to the 6700k. gah! I don't know which one to choose. I feel that I might as well flip a coin.....

Kind of. But you do pick up a lot other features from the past 4 years. You finally move to PCIe 3.0 from 2.0 with the 2600k. You'll get increased performance, but I'm not sure what you'll "see" at 1600p. I mean, can you tell the difference between 70 and 75 FPS?

I know I can see the FPS dips below 60. I don't know whether to attribute that to the CPU or GPU's. From what I have read and been told, frametimes can improve with a 6700k. Maybe I should just invest in moving to Pascal when it finally arrives.

Bollocks. I'm returning everything and will splash on Pascal. Will review the situation then. You are right, impulsive side-grade is not necessary. I'm keeping the ram though. G.skill 3200 2x8GB for 99 seems like a good-ish deal.

it depends on the games you play. Do you play any single thread games? If so then your going to see an improvement if that CPU clocks well but if you only play multithreaded gaems then you wont or will see barely any improvement.

having OC'd Sandy Bridge any newer processor is almost a sidegrade

It wouldn't be if developers heavily used AVX2 instructions which can in many cases improve performance a lot. Potential-wise Skylake is much much faster than Sandy Bridge. It is just poor gray reality where it is not the case and you will still be GPU limited thus making this change to be almost complete waste of money ;)

it depends on the games you play. Do you play any single thread games? If so then your going to see an improvement if that CPU clocks well but if you only play multithreaded gaems then you wont or will see barely any improvement.

To be honest its a mix of everything gaming wise. Gaming, a little bit of encoding and video editing here and there. Yeah, but a greater percentage of media consumption and games with a large amount of background apps (skype, browser, video, p2p etc).

My current beasty handles everything quite well, except for some seldom dips and hitches in frame rate. I could do without and just wait for the next gen GPUs, but the upgrade itch is there, especially with some recent sales.

It wouldn't be if developers heavily used AVX2 instructions which can in many cases improve performance a lot. Potential-wise Skylake is much much faster than Sandy Bridge. It is just poor gray reality where it is not the case and you will still be GPU limited thus making this change to be almost complete waste of money ;)

I beginning to agree.

5820k + pc3200 2x8GB DDR4 + MSI X99S PLUS = $690 inc tax
6700k + PC3200 2x8GB DDR4 + ASUS Maximus VIII Hero = $760 inc tax

I'm going to assume I'll get a bigger bump from a new gen GPU...although I hope it doesn't really cost $700 again, which it probably will.

XoR... you have to be completely full of shit. It has been proven that SB-Skylake has around a 25% IPC increase.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

So a 4.8GHz vs a 4.8GHz is going to be 25% faster in single thread and thats a fairly large amount. Plus you get new instructions, better PCIe and PCH...basically better everything.

Between these two builds, which would you choose? The total costs are very similar (less than $10 difference).
Uses: Everything
I'm cannibalizing my old system, so no for need for new drives, cases, GPUs, psu etc. Just the CPU, mobo and ram.
I plan to overclock the 5820k to 4.5Ghz or the 6700k to 4.7Ghz
I already have the parts sitting with me and plan to return the ones I don't use.
I will eventually sell the 980Ti's once Pascal comes out.
I really, reaallly like the Asus Maximus VIII Hero board, but I also like the 6 core 5820K. Are X99 boards generally better quality than the Z170 boards because it is the enthusiast platform?
In this case, do you like the Maximus vIII Hero better than the x99-a?

6700K BUILD

1. 6700k - $419
  2. Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero - $219.99
  3. G.Skill DDR4 2x8GB PC3200 - $94.99

Tax = $54.37
Total = $779.34 - MIR $35 = $744.34 incl Tax

5820K BUILD

1. 5820k - $339.00
  2. Asus X99-A USB 3.1 - $249.99
  3. G.Skill DDR4 2x8GB PC3200 - $94.99

Tax = $47.12
Total = $738.22 incl Tax

My thoughts:

6700K Build Pros

• 6700K is obviously newer and higher IPC per core (newer instruction set)
  • Probably easier to cool with higher OC.
  • Z170 chipset has more PCIe lanes to CPU for storage (20x @ PCi3.0)
  • Socket 1151 is newer so maybe its product life will be longer - ie for next gen Kaby Lake?
  • The mobo looks better.
  • newer 14nm node.

6700K Build Cons

• 16x PCi lanes from CPU to GPUs (so in my case, x8 x8 setup - not really an issue, but still a fact)
  • 2 fewer cores than 5820K
  • Fewer USB ports than the x99 build

5820K Build Pros

• 5820K has 2 more cores. better for encoding/editing etc Might help future games, but who knows.
  • 28 PCie 3.0 lanes to GPU's (so a 16x 8x setup - not really an advantage but still a fact).
  • Quad channel memory capable.
  • Broadwell-e upgrade in the future?
  • More USB ports on motherboard

5820K Build Cons

• Older 22nm CPU
  • Socket 2011v3 closer to end of life
  • 8x PCi2.0 (NOT 3.0) lanes from CPU to X99 chipset storage
  • More power hungry & hotter.
  • Mobo doesn't look as cool as the Z170 Maximus VIII Hero.
  • Won't overclock as high as the 6700K

Thanks for any help making this decision I've been sitting on. I need to finish the build in the next 2 days so any advice/opinions are appreciated! :D

1. the 6700K will be harder too cool than the 5820K because it has TIM vs solder so unless you delid and repaste temps will be shit. Thank Intel for being cheap fuck tards and screwing everyone over.

The questions you need to ask is this.
Do you need single thread? If yes 6700K
-4.8GHz 6700K will have 10-12% better single thread overall vs a 4.5-4.6 Haswell E but in select categories extremely better than even that but expect around 10-12% better single thread.
Do you need more cores or lanes? If yes 5820K
Do you need >64GB of RAM? If yes 5820K (6700K supports 64GB max)

Those are the 3 main questions that will tell you whether or not you need one over the other.

Some less likely questions are do you need a crap ton of SATA ports? then 5820K. Some people run into this issue while others don't but it is another example of a game changer question.

For me I need both but I just made a server to solve my large RAM, storage, and extra core needs. I only needed that for video and photos.

Everything else is completely single thread or only quad core dependent so 6700K is the only option.

It won't be worth it from a price/performance standpoint. I would have waited for X99 successor.

Aren't those dates for broadwell-e? ( Ithought skylake-e was pushed back to 2017) If that is so, then I might as well use the 6700k and then demote it once skylake-e comes out. if anything, 5820k and x99 board prices should be even lower by then should I decide to go that route. I can wait a little longer for a 6 core system I suppose. What do you think?

Aren't those dates for broadwell-e? ( Ithought skylake-e was pushed back to 2017) If that is so, then I might as well use the 6700k and then demote it once skylake-e comes out. if anything, 5820k and x99 board prices should be even lower by then should I decide to go that route. I can wait a little longer for a 6 core system I suppose. What do you think?

Oops, I do mean Broadwell-e. :eek:

Depends on your intentions with the build. I see you have a SB system right now, and you are looking to upgrade to either the same type of system (enthusiast) or HEDT. If you go with the current HEDT I doubt BD-E will be a worthy upgrade for the price if you want to go that route. If you are unimpressed with the current X99 offerings I'd wait until you see what X179 offers in 2017.

So for me I'm looking at a few possibilities:

Get X99 system when BD-E comes out
Jump on Z170 and be happy with a non-HEDT system
Wait for the next generation of HEDT and upgrade to Skylake-E and X179

edit: out of your lists of Pro's/Cons for the two systems above, you kind of mention storage in there. If you are at all interested in storage then don't bother with the X99 and jump on the Z170 with the DMI 3.0.

Last edited:

Depends on your intentions with the build. I see you have a SB system right now, and you are looking to upgrade to either the same type of system (enthusiast) or HEDT. If you go with the current HEDT I doubt BD-E will be a worthy upgrade for the price if you want to go that route. If you are unimpressed with the current X99 offerings I'd wait until you see what X179 offers in 2017.

broadwell is is x99 so not replacement til 2017

edit: out of your lists of Pro's/Cons for the two systems above, you kind of mention storage in there. If you are at all interested in storage then don't bother with the X99 and jump on the Z170 with the DMI 3.0.

I don't plan on going m.2 or nvme just yet, I'm satisfied with I'm what I have for now. I think i may just skip x99 as you thought for now and jump on Skylake-e when it's out. I am considering the 5820k now simply because it's in a similar price range. Although, that goes out the window as I'd have to get a new cooler anyhow as my silver arrow didn't have the 2011 mount

Sorry I'm late to the game, but I'd just like to say that I ran a 2500K in SLI for about 4 years and was skeptical that the upgrade to my 6600K would provide much, if any, benefit in my games, but I wanted the new features (and my old mobo was flakey booting).

Well, I'll just say that the difference was fairly huge. I have 2 monitors, a 4k@60Hz and a 1080p@144Hz. Huge difference in minimum frame rates on both, especially when I ran into CPU bound areas. I mentioned Diablo 3 in another thread, because the difference was so dramatic, but worth mentioning again. I don't know if you've played this game but if you have, you've probably noticed in the burning city and other areas where the frame rate tanks when the screen gets busy (the marsh area as well as the new raised sewers area) So, on my 4k monitor, on my 2500k, I'd go from a steady 60fps down to about 45fps in these areas. Keep in mind this was with 980s in SLI. After the upgrade to the 6600k, 60fps, all areas, no drops, ever. I couldn't believe it so I was trying to make it drop. Couldn't. That's pretty damn significant. I also gained about 15-20 fps in World of Warcraft, a hugely CPU bound game.

Anyway, that's my experience. I am a converted non-believer. I feel it was about as significant as when I went from my 920 to the 2500k. Felt good.

Sorry I'm late to the game, but I'd just like to say that I ran a 2500K in SLI for about 4 years and was skeptical that the upgrade to my 6600K would provide much, if any, benefit in my games, but I wanted the new features (and my old mobo was flakey booting).

Well, I'll just say that the difference was fairly huge. I have 2 monitors, a 4k@60Hz and a 1080p@144Hz. Huge difference in minimum frame rates on both, especially when I ran into CPU bound areas. I mentioned Diablo 3 in another thread, because the difference was so dramatic, but worth mentioning again. I don't know if you've played this game but if you have, you've probably noticed in the burning city and other areas where the frame rate tanks when the screen gets busy (the marsh area as well as the new raised sewers area) So, on my 4k monitor, on my 2500k, I'd go from a steady 60fps down to about 45fps in these areas. Keep in mind this was with 980s in SLI. After the upgrade to the 6600k, 60fps, all areas, no drops, ever. I couldn't believe it so I was trying to make it drop. Couldn't. That's pretty damn significant. I also gained about 15-20 fps in World of Warcraft, a hugely CPU bound game.

Anyway, that's my experience. I am a converted non-believer. I feel it was about as significant as when I went from my 920 to the 2500k. Felt good.

I assume WOW and Diablo 3 are both single thread?

I don't plan on going m.2 or nvme just yet, I'm satisfied with I'm what I have for now. I think i may just skip x99 as you thought for now and jump on Skylake-e when it's out. I am considering the 5820k now simply because it's in a similar price range. Although, that goes out the window as I'd have to get a new cooler anyhow as my silver arrow didn't have the 2011 mount

I think you'll be happy with what ever choice you make :)

Back