6600XT

NightReaver

2[H]4U
Hey there, tell me if my thinking is correct on this. So I have a 1080ti I got for $550 a few years ago. Reserved a 6600xt today at MC for $425 open box. Some digging shows roughly equivalent performance. I'm thinking get the 6600xt, sell the 1080ti since it still has some value, and get a much newer card in the process. I play at 1440p, but nothing AAA. Should I be concerned about the 3gb vram difference? Anything else to be wary about between the two cards? Thanks for any input.

It's a very slight down grade unless you have Ray tracing on your mind, since it does ray trace.

Use this for reference... The RTX 3050 is within a few percent of a GTX 1070. You can kind of 'scale' which cards are at what level of performance

The market for 1080Tis seems to be getting smaller. They've been selling in the forum for about $400-450 lately.

The market for 1080Tis seems to be getting smaller. They've been selling in the forum for about $400-450 lately.
Noticed that. Wasn't planning on making bank or anything. At the very least recoup the cost and have a newer card. Of note is that I wouldn't bother with this just for myself. Brother was interested in one to upgrade from his rx580 and figured maybe I could grab something myself. The upcharge to something higher up like a 6700xt is just insane for the performance bump, however.

Noticed that. Wasn't planning on making bank or anything. At the very least recoup the cost and have a newer card. Of note is that I wouldn't bother with this just for myself. Brother was interested in one to upgrade from his rx580 and figured maybe I could grab something myself. The upcharge to something higher up like a 6700xt is just insane for the performance bump, however.

I'd sell the RX 580 while they are still sort of valuable. Keep the 6600xt and 1080Ti for you and your brother. Both of those should be a good upgrade over the 580.

I'd sell the RX 580 while they are still sort of valuable. Keep the 6600xt and 1080Ti for you and your brother. Both of those should be a good upgrade over the 580.
Nah, already tried to get him on board with good priced 1080/1080tis already but he's dead stuck on getting something relatively new. Myself, the 1080ti fulfils my needs but something new to mess around with after a few years is tempting. Probably not worth the hassle though.

The 6600 xt uses the same amount of power as an rx580 but gives performance of a 1080ti in most cases not all depending on the title your playing. I replaced an rx 580 that started memory artifacting with a 6600xt and other than the inflated pricing I'm pretty happy with the results.

I havent tried gaming on an 6600xt yet, but extremely impressed they are dual mining ethereum and ton at 65 watts. Literally cannot feel any heat coming off from the 5 of them. gaming wise its equal to 1080ti but dont see why you would want to side step. 1080ti should have some legs with its higher memory bandwidth and extra ram. you will save probably 100 watts under load though. assuming 4 hours a day of use and 16.75 cents per kw. thats $25 a year if i did the math right.

Looking at the price point of a sub-$400 card, is the performance increase worth the vig of upgrading to a 6600xt from an RX 570? (My son's machine). He's getting junk frames playing 1080p in some titles.

I'm half tempted to try to talk him out of this and to wait for X-Mas to try to get him a better card... but the supply situation is such that the 6600 is available. But is it 'worth' it?

Going up to a 6600XT will be a substantial improvement from the RX 570. You could try to hold off and see what the 7000 series will have, or get a better card when prices drop after the 7s are released, but if your son doesn't do anything beyond 1080p gaming and won't be upgrading to 1440p or 4K anytime soon, the 6600XT will be a great choice.

Going up to a 6600XT will be a substantial improvement from the RX 570. You could try to hold off and see what the 7000 series will have, or get a better card when prices drop after the 7s are released, but if your son doesn't do anything beyond 1080p gaming and won't be upgrading to 1440p or 4K anytime soon, the 6600XT will be a great choice.
I use my 6600XT to game at 3840x1080(32:9) just fine. That's roughly as hard to run as 1440p. So If he's going to be gaming at regular 1080p then it will do great. Something to keep in mind though, is that if the System doesn't have PCI-E v4, you will be leaving a little performance on the table. As the 6600XT uses PCI-E 8x. On PCI-E v4 that's plenty of bandwidth, but on PCI-E v3 you loose a little performance. (You can look at Reviews from Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus etc to get an idea of how much).

Card also responds well to using upscaling tech. So if a game has FSR 2, or a DLSS to FSR2 mod, they may also be able to do a little ray tracing as well :)

Last edited:
Back