• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6600GT or 6800 "plain"

Ensign.Fodder

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
1,092
Looking at two XFX cards, both are AGP 8X and 128 MB.

One is (PVT40KND) a GeForce 6800 core with DDR memory.

Two is (PVT43AND) a GeForce 6600GT core with DDR3 memory.

I know that the GT core simply means a 6600 core that graded better and therfore is going to have a higher clock over a std 6600 core. With the 6800 "plain" there are actually 12 Pixel pipes instead of 16 (unlockable?)

But the simple questions is for around $150 +/- 10, which card is a better performer/value?

Thank you for your condsidered response.

Update 6600 GT Speeds (C/M) - 500MHz / 1.00GHz
Update 6800 Speeds (C/M) - 325MHz / 700MHz
 
With the 7800GTX now available, I would go with the GT...I did. Great card.
 
You should be able to clock that NU a little higher than the stock speed of 325/700. I had my BFG 6800OC to 400/800 and at those speeds it would definitely take down a 6600GT. If you get pipes to unlock, you're even better off.
 
NumbLock said:
With the 7800GTX now available, I would go with the GT...I did. Great card.
he wants agp and thats in a completely different price range anyway.
 
I just got the XFX 6800NU off NewEgg for $164 - it really is not much more $ than the 6600GT's and performs better all around, especially when you enable AA and AF at higher resolutions - then it doesn't take quite the performance hit.

You also have a chance at enabling extra pipelines and vertex shaders, I unlocked all that jazz and got 12 extra frames per sec in the CS:S Video Stress Test, no artifacts, but it would artifact in 3dMark05. I just reverted back to the default pipes/shaders, the performance is still great; I haven't seen a need for the extra frames yet.

I say definately go for the 6800NU.
 
Why not thank me? Clicking the link I gave you and typeing in a choice word such as "6800le" would have yeilded at least 2 pages of treads on the 6800nu/LE, what its capible of, how run stacks up next to other cards, and probely even found a dozen other treads form people asking the exact same question you just asked. It also keep the board a little cleaner with less of the same thing on every page, so more usefull information might be found eaiser...

Search first, then post.

Wile were learning about the search tool, Here is another great soruce of info on stuff that can be found on good forums like this one. And since every [H]ardware board out there has at leaast 10 treads on every subject under the sun, im sure it will pull up a few good hits.
 
Back
Top