6600/P5W 3700 on air

vanilla_guerilla

Supreme [H]ardness
for those who got week 26 6600's from monarch (like me) i've been screwing around with it a little and came up with this last night. its 3d stable, been playing f.e.a.r. and farcry. gets up to around 44c after playing a couple hours. obviously, cpuid vcore is wrong, its more like 1.48v. next i will use crystalcpuid to change multis and see how high i can get fsb.
ram is not tweaked, and is 1/1 (p5w wont allow anything higher yet), and crap is running in background. thats why the superpi is a little high for this clock speed.

228523823_c8b3a6e16d_o.jpg

Wish I had a Week 26/27. BTW, just use Asus Probe to show Vcore too, it's more accurate than other programs (CPU-Z has a bg that won't go over 1.5 V)

there beez a guy over at xs with a week 27 6600 running 4ghz plus on air. BUT he is using 1.6v plus on vcore. i dont know if i would take the chance. i am not afraid of vcore, but dont want to fry my cpu for the hell of it. i waited several months, sold off a lot of nice amd stuff (3800 X2 @ 2900, modded ultra-d, bh5 ddr, tccd ddr), and then waited 1 month for pre-order to show up. would hate to burn it after a couple days. anyway, week 27 looks pretty good, but i dont think you can find them in usa yet.

you called it. looks like they are getting more betterer by the week. unfortunately this cant go on forever. eventually there will be crappy weeks, and/or it will start going in the other direction, ie getting more worserer (less betterer?) by the week. i dont think theres a big enough sample yet to start rating by stepping, batch, place of manufacture, etc. mine is a SL9S8, malaysia, L626A167.

Nice chip! However, my L624 E6600 on the same motherboard (P5W) is performing at 3.6ghz as an initial overclock fully stable, and I haven't really tried pushing it yet. I think L625 was a kinda-bum week, because L623/4/6/7 I have seen are SUPERB chips. By "kinda-bum" I mean they aren't AS good, not bad period, they are all AWESOME chips :D!

yea me too. the second time i boot up with this chip i boot it at 9x400. havent really been screwing around with it much. the guys on the conroe oc database are using pretty high vcore. i my try that next when i use a lower multi and go for high fsb.

around 800mhz (1/1). as of now this mainboard will not run at any divider higher than 1/1. maybe with a later bios. for all i know, it may not run at a divider less than 1/1 either - i have never tried it. ram speed doesnt make a big amount of difference with this cpu/chipset. neither does ram timings.
if you mean what speed is my ram rated at, its ddr2 800. i think thats pc6400.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

this ram is cheaper, and prob at least as good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095

vanilla_guerilla said:
obviously, cpuid vcore is wrong, its more like 1.48v

But what setting did you use in the BIOS? I know this board has some voltage droop and CPU-Z reads it wrong at bios settings of 1.500 and up. The largest vCore I've set so far is 1.500 and that got me stable at 378 x 9 with all other voltages stock and ram @ 4-4-4-12 and 1:1. I bet I could hit 3.6ghz if I was willing to jack the voltage a lot more but I'm already seeing CoreTemp temps of 67C in Orthos large fft.

What kind of cooling are you using and what does CoreTemp read? PC Probe reads 10-15C less than CoreTemp for me. Also by the way, on my computer if I leave PC Probe running it ruins the Orthos stability test because one of the cores gets loaded down by PC Probe and one Orthos thread goes so slow that it's almost stopped.

-JWM

damn it! I wish my e6600 did 3.6Ghz
It would be the perfect speed

nice round #'s 400 x 9
DDR2 800 @ 1:1 for perfectly in spec. speed.

Maybe, just maybe this UPS box with new ram!! sitting next to me, will get me higher when I get home!

chrisf6969 said:
damn it! I wish my e6600 did 3.6Ghz
It would be the perfect speed

nice round #'s 400 x 9
DDR2 800 @ 1:1 for perfectly in spec. speed.

Maybe, just maybe this UPS box with new ram!! sitting next to me, will get me higher when I get home!

I hear ya man. Stuck at a stable 3.2GHz here.

very nice vanilla! I get my order in today but wont be doing any heavy oC until I finialize my watercooling setup. I still hope to push it as far as it will go on stock cooling in the mean time. :D

cec1l said:
But what setting did you use in the BIOS? I know this board has some voltage droop and CPU-Z reads it wrong at bios settings of 1.500 and up. The largest vCore I've set so far is 1.500 and that got me stable at 378 x 9 with all other voltages stock and ram @ 4-4-4-12 and 1:1. I bet I could hit 3.6ghz if I was willing to jack the voltage a lot more but I'm already seeing CoreTemp temps of 67C in Orthos large fft.

What kind of cooling are you using and what does CoreTemp read? PC Probe reads 10-15C less than CoreTemp for me. Also by the way, on my computer if I leave PC Probe running it ruins the Orthos stability test because one of the cores gets loaded down by PC Probe and one Orthos thread goes so slow that it's almost stopped.

-JWM

xp90 with a panaflo. i have vcore set to 1.4875 in bios. i am using pcprobe for temps. aibooster temps are way too low, and coretemp is way too high. coretemp reads like 55C at idle, which cant be right, my hs is barely warm (it is making good contact). which bios are you using? i could only boot at 380 until i switched to 903. do you have spd timings enabled? when i manually set timings, i had problems getting good speed. also, you know that at this time you can only run ram at 1/1. use clockgen to see how high you can go. you may just have a bios setting wrong. this board has 1 or 2 weird issues, and if bios isnt set up correctly, you will be held to 380 or under when booting.

vanilla_guerilla said:
xp90 with a panaflo. i have vcore set to 1.4875 in bios. i am using pcprobe for temps. aibooster temps are way too low, and coretemp is way too high. coretemp reads like 55C at idle, which cant be right, my hs is barely warm (it is making good contact). which bios are you using? i could only boot at 380 until i switched to 903. do you have spd timings enabled? when i manually set timings, i had problems getting good speed. also, you know that at this time you can only run ram at 1/1. use clockgen to see how high you can go. you may just have a bios setting wrong. this board has 1 or 2 weird issues, and if bios isnt set up correctly, you will be held to 380 or under when booting.

I am using BIOS 1101 and manual timings of 4-4-4-12. I had slight instability at that voltage setting and 380x9 so I upped it to 1.500.

Yea, I've read that the max bootable overclock and mem timings is a good bit less than what you can get with setting memory timings and bus speeds with software.

Over at XS I saw a thread with a couple of good overclocks at the 4:5 divider:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112269&page=3

So BIOS 0903 seems to be OC friendly huh. I may play with it. :)

-JWM

these are the settings i am using with 903 bios. if you have week 24/25/26/27 b2 6600 and p5w, vcore set to 1.50v, you should be able to boot at 400x9

in bios
on the jumperfree page
set ai overclocking to manual
set cpu freq to 380 (to start)
set dram freq to ddr760 (to start)
leave performance mode on auto
set pci express freq to 110 (important)
set pci clock synch mode to 33.3mhz
set mem voltage to 2.05v (to start)
set set cpu core voltage to 1.5000v (to start)
set fsb term voltage to 1.5v
set mch chipset voltage to 1.65v (prob most important setting)
set ich voltage to 1.20

on cpu config page
disable all except microcode updation

on chipset page
set config dram timing by spd to enabled
dram ecc to disabled
hyper3 disable
dram throttling disabled
leave other stuff on auto

on hardware monitor page
disable cpu, chassis and power qfan control - this will speed up your bootup

then bump it up 5 or 6mhz at a time in bios. depending on your ram, you may need to bump up vdimm to 2.15-2.2v.
good luck

I have nearly the same setup as you however the best I can get it to is 3.2ghz (355 FSB). Im doing 1.46v Vcore and 2.1 Vdimm. The FSB termination is at 1.3 and I set the MCH voltage to auto since even at 1.65 it didnt seem to do much. Even then when I run 3dmark05 CPU test the computer reboots and Prime95 crashs after like 30 mins. I can run all games fine though so Im letting it stay for awhile. Anyway any tips? I tried upping the voltage to 1.475 and it was still unstable. The core temp under load measured with coretemp is 48C. The chipset however is running pretty hot at 48 measured with a case probe (internal probably 52).

Anyway Im worried about the northbridge. The CPU doesnt seem to get much hotter even when I put in like 1.5v however the northbridge went over 50 which is scaring me. Anyone know how much the northbridge can take?

i dont know what to tell you. i am not doing anything special. my bios settings are posted above. i hit the 380mhz fsb wall until i switched to 903 bios, set pciex to 110mhz, and enabled spd timings. and when i was stuck booting at 380mhz, i could still get to 400mhz plus using clockgen. dont be afraid to give it some vcore. 1.5 or 1.52v is not much. on the conroe databases here and at xs guys with air cooling are running up to 1.6v and over, with stock nb cooling. i have the little squirrel cage fan installed on the heatpipe radiator. also, i have a not so fast 92mm fan blowing across my vid cards onto the nb hs. this might help. there is a thread at xs where a guy shows how important nb (v mch) voltage is.
guys who have done the pencil mod or hard mod to this report much higher fsb and overall clocks.

Thanks for providing all your settings vanilla_guerilla. I was already able to boot at 400 x 9 with 1.500 vCore but Orthos large fft failed within seconds. I increased the vCore in steps and stopped at 1.5750 when it continued to bomb out in like 5 seconds.

I tried all of your settings in conjunction with 400 x 9 (including going back to 1.500 vCore) and Orthos still bombed out very quickly.

It looks like either your chip is truly far superior to mine or the 903 BIOS is doing the trick.

-JWM

have you tried any of the other stability stuff? 32m superpi? are you 3d stable? i read somewhere yesterday why orthos is crapping out on p5w/6600 but i cant remember what it was. i will post when i come up with it.

edit found it. its not about the p5w in particular, but why conroes are failing prime
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113539

i am probably violating some kind of rule they have at xs, also known as dualprimeforever.com, but i dont run prime. if i can run 2 x 32m superpi, and my games run without hangs/crashes/glitches. then i am stable. this is known as "stable enough for me"

I just started using Orthos because I heard it was the most stressful thing you can do to your cpu/ram/mch. I've been searching for the highest 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever overclock that I could acheive. It looks like 3.4 is it for this level of stability with my chip on air cooling. I am able to boot into windows at 400 x 9 no problem. I ran a SuperPI 1M and got like 14.3 seconds or so (super slow SPD timings) and tried Orthos and it bombed out very fast so I got scared and clocked it back down.

That link you gave about the C2D failing at prime is interesting. I'm pretty sure it was the rounding error that I was seeing too. However I don't think overclocking is going to reveal a cpu hardware bug. My system is consistently Orthos large fft stable at 3.4 and lower.

I wonder if it would still be stable with my video card pumping tons of heat out though. My video card has a shrouded dual slot cooler that blows the heat directly out of the case but it's still gotta raise case temps a little when it's at full tilt. Is it possible to run one of the newer 3dMarks in a continuous torture test mode?

But yea, I guess a person's definition of stable is going to vary. :)

-JWM

nothing wrong with 1000mhz overclock. and maybe when asus gives us a decent bios, we will be able to tweak our ram, and run it at a faster strap than 800.

I'm waiting for the DFI board so I can run 1000mhz FSB. Just you watch. DFI pwns.

cec1l said:
That link you gave about the C2D failing at prime is interesting. I'm pretty sure it was the rounding error that I was seeing too. However I don't think overclocking is going to reveal a cpu hardware bug. My system is consistently Orthos large fft stable at 3.4 and lower.

Orthos or Dual Prime, large FFT is the true test of stability.

That rounding thing is not why Prime is failing b/c it would fail at stock too. Its just a matter of pushing a chip past its limit. Like back when Coppermine's got the speed bump to 1.13Ghz and started failing. It was a matter of certain chips not handling certain clocks. This has always been the case.... you push a chip too far and it fails Prime, end of story.

I think the Core2 & 965 mobo combinations are still just a little finicky at high clocks. We're pushing things to their edge. In another few months, with a new stepping on both chips & northbridges plus a few BIOS revisions, I'm sure we'll see people hitting 4Ghz much more often and easily.

cec1l said:
I just started using Orthos because I heard it was the most stressful thing you can do to your cpu/ram/mch. I've been searching for the highest 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever overclock that I could acheive. It looks like 3.4 is it for this level of stability with my chip on air cooling. I am able to boot into windows at 400 x 9 no problem. I ran a SuperPI 1M and got like 14.3 seconds or so (super slow SPD timings) and tried Orthos and it bombed out very fast so I got scared and clocked it back down.

I wonder if it would still be stable with my video card pumping tons of heat out though. My video card has a shrouded dual slot cooler that blows the heat directly out of the case but it's still gotta raise case temps a little when it's at full tilt. Is it possible to run one of the newer 3dMarks in a continuous torture test mode?

But yea, I guess a person's definition of stable is going to vary. :)

-JWM

have you tried to run prime/orthos at default speed/vcore ? are you running blend or large fft?

when i first got this cpu, it would not boot over 380mhz. within a day or 2 , all else being the same, it would boot and run 3d stable at 400. within a few days of that, i am booting at damn near 420mhz. so either the mainboard or the cpu is getting better/faster with age.
of course, it could just be pfm.

i am waiting for a dfi board also. the 570/590 chipsets dont seem to be overclcocking too tough, but there is only the asus 570 and a reference board or 2 around. but i would love to get a dfi lanparty 965 or 975, or even a rd/rs600 board.

What cooler are you using OP?

Man I can't wait for my other things to come in. I have a week 27 cpu in my apartment right now.

xp90 with a medium panaflo. at 1.50v vcore i get around 36c idle, around 50-52c loaded. if you have an asus board, use pcprobe for temps. the bios and aibooster report temps too low (30c idle for me) and coretemp reports way too high (58c for me). most guys are getting incredible results with week 27 6600's. check out the intel forum at xs. many guys are getting 4ghz on air. good luck.

Back