6600 gt idle temperature

mikeczyz

Limp Gawd
i'm getting a reading of 48 degrees celsius. this seems quite high. can people post their idle temperatures or give me other numbers for comparison? i'm a bit worried here wondering what the readings might be when the chip is under duress.

mike

around 45 when i was on air. 48 is in the high range, but nothing to get too excited about. What's it like at load?

i dunno what it is at load. i'm trying to figure out how to use riva tuner to create a log so i can run a benchmark and then go back and check temperature. you have any clue hwo to do this?

mike

so it looks like i'm a bit above average, but nothing to worry about.

now, i need to figure out the load temps...

after an hour of Halo I was at 57c...not very grafx intense game, though

i just ran aquamark (upper 44,000) and as soon as i quit, i ran to check the temperature. 58 degrees. that doesn't seem too bad.

To get load temperatures, use something like Rivatuner's Hardware monitoring to get a graph of temperatures. Load something demanding, and check the graph for temperatures during gameplay.

Alternatively, you could use rthdribl in windowed mode, and check the temperature in the Forceware control panel. Streching it will increase the resolution it renders at, so just streching the window to cover most of the screen should put it under heavy stress.

Be aware these aren't CPUs, the 6 Series can sustain quite high temperatures. The Default Core threshold temperature on a 6800GT is 120*C!

mikeczyz said:
you have any clue hwo to do this?

open up rivatuner, find the icon with the magnifying glass, click on it, and click on the red record button.

Leave rivatuner running in the background and just run a benchmark. Afterwards you can go back and check the chart to see how high it got. YOu can also change the time with which each data point it plotted to slow it down a little.

You're temperatures are pretty much the same as mine. I have seen some people report significantly higher. I think you have nothing to worry about.

u_95244

On stock cooling I was getting 51c/72c. With Zalman VF700Cu 44c/55c, and with water 41c/47c. I think MSI cards run a little hotter. So to answer your question, your temps are normal.

I guess the AS5 set in, I now get 40c/46c. If anyone is watercooling, I would like to know what they get on their 6600GT. Oh yeah, I forgot to mentioned that I've vmodded my card when I went WC so I'm not sure what temps I would get without the vmod. :D

okay, i jsut ran, i'm peaking at about 70 degrees. nothing to worry about i guess.
mike

Not really, but if you're planning to overclock it, you will need better cooling for best results.

this is a little ot, but does anyone know if the xfx 6600gt agp version has a thermal sensor built in? i ask because based on the read out of nvidia program it never goes above 36c even after hours of gaming. right now im thinking that it is either no thermal sensor on the card or that the nvidia linux drivers arent getting the temp readings. im just curious; havent had any real problems at all with the card or the drivers.

mikeczyz,

Then you're fine.

zoes,

Some 6600gt cards have it enable and some don't, however, they do have a temp sensor.

I started getting artifacts in FarCry when my temps got into the 70C range. Is this somethign anyone else has experienced with a 6600GT? I had them OC'd to 550/1.1, but after getting artifacts, I moved it back to stock and it seems to work fine now.

The XFX 6600GT's do have the temp sensor built in. I own one and it works fine. The sensor on urs might be bad, or perhaps it is a driver issue.

my PCI-E XpertVision 6600GT idles at 54 degree C ....and under load about 74 degrees C

is that too high......i know that CPU's start dying after 70 odd degrees but is it different for GPU's ?

XFX 6600GT AGP with STASIS IceStorm NV43AGP Heatsink and HSI Sink
37C Idle / 58C Load @ 630/1230

zeos said:
this is a little ot, but does anyone know if the xfx 6600gt agp version has a thermal sensor built in? i ask because based on the read out of nvidia program it never goes above 36c even after hours of gaming. right now im thinking that it is either no thermal sensor on the card or that the nvidia linux drivers arent getting the temp readings. im just curious; havent had any real problems at all with the card or the drivers.

XFX6600GT does have thermal sensor. 36c is pretty low even for idle temp. I would agree that it may be the linux drivers you are using.

u_95244

Back