65" LG OLED as computer monitor

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
I've always believed 40" - 43" was best for 4K monitor size, but this setup has me seriously rethinking my preferences.

The extra white subpixel does makes desktop use suboptimal, but the size of the pixels really isn't going to be an issue unless you're doing photo or video work, especially at the distance used in the setup shown in the video. It's still about 68 PPI, which really isn't much worse than some of the monitors your average user is going to have.

That dude might as well have bought the 55" model and brought it a bit closer. You also have to use a larger scaling factor at that distance because otherwise it will be annoying to read anything so he does not gain much desktop space either.

It’s a shame curved TVs seem to have gone away because using them as desktop displays at these sizes would be more comfortable even if they make no sense at TV distances.

I tried this awhile back with a 55” and didn’t like it at all. Just way too big, sitting in front of display that large all day made my eyes really tired.

Also, the brightness limiter would kick in often in desktop use which was annoying - may be less of an issue on newer OLEDs as I believe the threshold is higher.

For gaming though, it was great. But if you sit at a computer 6-8 hours a day doing work I do not recommend. I ended up going back to a 34” ultra wide for desktop use and put the OLED elsewhere in my room. I still use it for most of my gaming.

I'm still trying to find the perfect size for my windows gaming rig (sig). I'm using an Alienware AW3418 DW 34" 120hz (GSync) IPS at the moment, but I've got a Monoprice 49" 144hz (Freesync) widescreen monitor (I think it's VA not sure) and a 4K LG E7 OLED in the living room.

I was perfectly happy with the 34" since I am / was playing mostly 1st / 3rd person shooters but I just got into Diablo 3 (some of my buddies dragged me into it) and the art style is just so freaking tiny (and I've got old man eyeballs) I'm thinking of moving my 49 from the bedroom to my man cave or even connecting my gaming rig to my living room TV. The only reason I'm still running my Alienware is to take advantage of the GSync with my 2080ti.

If all you do is game and look at Internet websites its fine assuming you sit back far enough. For productivity use there is better obviously.

Back