64GB Optanes

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
ETA? Really need a R0 array with 2 of these. I could do a 128GB boot drive, but 64GB just isn't big enough.
Since these are designed as cache, has anybody even heard if intel will be releasing bigger ones or will they just wait and release their Optane storage drives? ETA on those? Think the 128/256 variety will be anywhere near affordable?

I don't understand the difference between Optane and running SSD's.

There really isn't one, tests on them have shown that they do almost nothing for speeding up a NAND SSD, and very little for a standard SSD. I honestly have no idea what they are for, they speed up platter drives (as it's a caching drive), but I really don't get it

I have no use for Optane as cache.
However, they are the biggest thing to revolutionize flash, since flash. Even NVMe cannot touch their performance where it matters.
Their biggest strengths are:
* No write endurance issues - virtually unlimited writes.
* No need to garbage collect - TRIM has no effect
* Ridiculous IOPS
* Ridiculous 4k random performance. This is the biggest bottleneck of current flash/NVMe. This, for me, is why I want them so bad.

Here's a teaser of what we're in for, when using Optane as bootable storage drives, NOT cache drives:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8234/intel-optane-raid-worlds-fastest-system-disk/index.html

So, as an example and using hypothetical numbers that somewhat align to what you'd see in real life metrics (because we all know that all review sites use actual, real world scenarios as part of their reviews), instead of loading Word, Exel, PowerPoint, and multiple other workstation apps within 6 seconds of Windows loading, you can get them to all load in 5.5 seconds?

Damn, that's impressive!

^^ Don't make yourself look like a dummy in front of everybody.
You have no idea what use cases I, or anybody else would be using them in.

And I didn't quote you or speculate on your use case either. Don't you need .5 second faster word document loading? :ROFLMAO:

Unless you took "you'd" in the sense that it was you specifically, when I was using it in the general sense.

Ta dah da daaaaaa - ENGLISH!

I'm less concerned about the large block sequential r/w as it has been, for my purposes, pretty stellar for many years now.
But the QD1-4 random 4k performance makes me drool. This is what sets these thing apart from everything else.
Very ideal in RAID0 implementations.

Just hope that the waiting times is less than it took for the first ssd boot <sized> drives scaled up to something that could be used for storage. That was about a year or so but costs didnt go down for quite a while. Only early adopters with decent bank accounts could appreciate the -then- new tech.

Optane of storage sizes are already in the hands of enterprise systems. Take that to say that enterprise customers are the first test bed for the new tech. Funny or interesting that a new tech is proven to be ready for home pc users by placing them in a 24x7x365 environment to make sure that it can stand up to the abuse of the home user :meh:

While they are doing it they can charge more. Once proven price trickles down. Waiting for when a enterprise optane gets properly reviewed so a better idea could be gotten from its abilities.

Can you point us to any reviews or published evaluations of the 2.5" U.2 Optanes?

I'm aware of a few reviews of the Optane AIC (add-in card) e.g. pcper.com .

No can do. Its only to select customers. We will have to wait until intel is ready. I also read the pcper review which tested using intels own equipment. Over a server! It still measured above expectations. Should be soon as this is July.

I don't understand the difference between Optane and running SSD's.
Your asking whats the difference of Optane cache and SSD? or Optane vs SSD?

Optane has signiifically lower latency and higher IOPs when it is a full size frive like 240GB+

The caches are basically useless unless used for HDDs and even than still mostly pointless.

If anything...the prices of the Optane caches shows that Optane drives should quickly hit $2 per GB when they reach mainstream.

The caches should be more per GB than real drives so I was quite excited to see how cheap these cache drives are!!!

So, as an example and using hypothetical numbers that somewhat align to what you'd see in real life metrics (because we all know that all review sites use actual, real world scenarios as part of their reviews), instead of loading Word, Exel, PowerPoint, and multiple other workstation apps within 6 seconds of Windows loading, you can get them to all load in 5.5 seconds?

Damn, that's impressive!

The biggest limit to boot and load times are CPU single thread speeds.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand all the hate that Optane generates. It's not like you are being forced to buy them. Aren't we the same people who jizz ourselves and throw tons of money at minut improvements in graphics cards?

I think the concept is intriguing and can't wait to try one.

I guess I don't understand all the hate that Optane generates. It's not like you are being forced to buy them. Aren't we the same people who jizz ourselves and throw tons of money at minut improvements in graphics cards?

I think the concept is intriguing and can't wait to try one.
There is no hat eon Optane....It is just people hating on pointless cache drives that are almost completely useless.

This experiment needs to be repeated on an AMD Threadripper motherboard
which wires all M.2 ports directly to the CPU.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8234/intel-optane-raid-worlds-fastest-system-disk/index4.html

STILL hitting the x4 ceiling -- 3,680 MB/second MAX READ --
because the M.2 ports on this motherboard
are all downstream of Intel's DMI 3.0 link:

"Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Taichi"

8234_31_intel-optane-raid-worlds-fastest-system-disk.png

Here's a similar measurement which shows Optane hitting that same ceiling:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-raid-report,5060-2.html

"We've recorded up to 3500 MB/s from three M.2 devices, and that seems to be the usable limit without other devices connected to the PCH, such as USB, SATA, and so on, consuming a lot of bandwidth."

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8wLzYvNjc1MjIyL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAxLnBuZw==
The new pcie gen 4 will eliminate this bottleneck. Does anyone know when will this hit the market?

I expect this will require new CPUs and motherboards and possibly also a new socket.

Of course it will be ;) I bet when 10nm desktops hit the market we will see PCIe 4. I really cant wait lol.

Is this the one with the $1500 msrp?!

depends capacity and what intel will sell it for. If the caches are any sign we should see $2-3 per GB.

Back