64bit OS DISadvantages?

martinth

Limp Gawd
Okay, I recently ordered a laptop with 4GB of ram.
I'm going to be using a 64bit Vista or XP (haven't decided), Dualbooting with 64bit Ubuntu/Linux Mint (havent decided).

Now im wondering, is there any DISADVANTAGES in using a 64bit operating system over a 32bit os?

mostly drivers issues, take Creative Labs for example

loss of 16 bit app support and much worse device support over 32.

Lack of 64 bit video drivers for laptops, this is a manufacturer issue from Toshiba for AMD onboard

well, I don't use any programs thats over 5 years old.

Anyways, here's some programs I use.
Most modern programs should support 64bit right?

Would the programs run slower?
Especially games?

nope, they shouldn't
now regarding games, well DX10 does take a hit in performance, hopefully that will be corrected in future drivers :eek:

and well there are games that have 64bit executables, like Hellgate London

64 bit Vista will support 32bit programs just fine. Go for it and don't look back, just make sure your laptop has 64bit vid card support

Programs and games should run about the same. Though some people have reported that their apps and games run a tiny bit faster under 64bit. Not too sure about that.

I have the: NVIDIA (R) GeForce TM Go 8400M GS with 128MB

From doing a quick google search, I ended up in this link.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400.html

it says, memory interface is 64bit, so I think I'm fine on the vid cart part.

:p nope that is something different
that´s the vid card memory bus, 64bits sucks btw
but anyways u are fine in the video card department ;)

Memory interface has nothing to do with being 64bit compatible. I have a 256bit memory bus on my card. ;)
The problem is finding a 64bit driver for a laptop video card.

The problem is finding a 64bit driver for a laptop video card.

QFT, that is the challenge

Disadvantages? Surely you people jest...

Haven't seen a video card yet (in the past 5 years or so that is, since XP x64 came out) that I couldn't locate a 64 bit driver for, especially in laptops. As for performance, it's better, in ways that most people don't see or really pay much attention to, but it's higher, definitely.

The lack of factual knowledge about 64 bit OSes and the driver support is simply astonishing across the hardware community online. It's really a shame that so many people read comments like "driver support sucks" and "it's not really that much better" I'm amazed that anyone has even heard of any 64 bit OSes to begin with.

For those of us that run 64 bit OSes - and I've been running XP x64 since the day after it came out, first on an AMD Athlon64 box, and then finally moving over to a Core 2 Duo machine in early 2007, and now comfortably on a Q6600 screamin' at 3 G's on each core nice and cool (G0 stepping ftw!). XP x64 isn't just "XP in 64 bit form," it's actually Windows Server 2003 - so don't confuse the performance with a simple 32 bit OS, in any respects.

I certainly hope more people get past the BS that keeps getting regurgitated and just jump to the 64 bit platform, either with XP x64 (superior in almost every way), or even Vista x64 (definitely an improvement over Vista x86). There really are no regrets... except not taking the chance and getting all the benefits in the first place.

Give you a link? Why? Can't do a Google search yourself? Toshiba and AMD mean nothing to me, and wouldn't get you far in a Google search either. Specific info, model numbers, part numbers, that sorta thing... the devil is in the details. After you post the info (and you will), and I find the drivers that'll work, 64 bit ones, and point you to them, does that mean I get $10 in a PayPal account for doing the work for you?

Back