64-bit vs 128 bit

hauntedfury

Weaksauce
How much performance difference there is between a 64-bit and 128-bit memory interface card? Is it quite large or just a minor difference?
For example how much difference in terms of performance would be there between a Radeon 9550 128-bit and 64-Bit?

The difference is pretty big. The memory bandwidth is halved so even if the 64 bit memory is running double the speed of the 128 bit memory, their bandwidth is still the same. I would always take the highest bandwidth available for any card. The 9550 is already crippled as it is with just 4 pipes, but the 128 bit version should still be significantly faster as the 64 bit interface would bottleneck the memory on the card.

dude, trust them, you DONT want a 64 bit card unless u dont play any games

Dudeyourlame said:
ill 3rd that.. 128 bit is far better

Or just dish out a little bit of extra money for something a bit faster on the GPU side.

32 bit is the best.....

Sega Genesis with 32x..... It could play Virtual Fighter so smooth.....

Take it from me, my first card was a 9600 SE, and it...was...sloooowwwww. Went to a 9600 XT, and saw a BIG difference. Then I went to a 9800 pro (double the pipes, double the bandwidth), flashed it to an XT, and now I want an X800XL. God, I hate computers.

Dudeyourlame said:
ill 3rd that.. 128 bit is far better
Agreed. The person who's responsible for releasing a 64-bit memory interface in 2005 should be shot... :mad:

PNut12345 said:
Take it from me, my first card was a 9600 SE, and it...was...sloooowwwww. Went to a 9600 XT, and saw a BIG difference. Then I went to a 9800 pro (double the pipes, double the bandwidth), flashed it to an XT, and now I want an X800XL. God, I hate computers.

read reviews before spending money ;)

Back