$600 living room build

QES

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
1,502
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Mainly playing Blu rays locally and streaming content. Some gaming, would like to be able to stream games from my main comp using steam.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$600 is my max budget including tax/shipping.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA, northeast WI. No MC or Frys nearby.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, HD, case

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Don't have anything I'm using other than peripherals.

6) Will you be overclocking?

I can and like to but not sure if necessary in this situation?

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

My tv is 1920X1080P

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within 5 days

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes 8.1


I'd like to build a PC to put with my consoles in the living room stand connected to the tv. So I'd like suggestions for smaller cases,that aren't flashy since it will be visible to everyone in the room. The gpu/CPU only need to be powerful enough to stream games from steam at 1080p 60fps from my main rig in sig. The only games not on steam that I would play would only be blizzard games. I can OC stuff if it would result in a better deal overall. AAny input would be appreciated!
 
this is what i recommend:
cpu: AMD Sempron 145 - 35$
Ram: 2x2gb ripjaws 35$
gpu: gtx 980 500$

dont build
 
Have you thought about something like a NUC with an external Blu-Ray Player?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26800972

Sure, it's nothing spectacular. But it comes in within your price envelope, should be quiet and sufficient for light gaming.

It should also keep you from having to sacrifice portions of a build using shitty, cheapo parts.

Additionally, because it's set up with an M.2, you should have space in there to add an additional 2.5" SATA drive if you need more storage space.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about something like a NUC with an external Blu-Ray Player?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26800972

Sure, it's nothing spectacular. But it comes in within your price envelope, should be quiet and sufficient for light gaming.

It should also keep you from having to sacrifice portions of a build using shitty, cheapo parts.

Additionally, because it's set up with an M.2, you should have space in there to add an additional 2.5" SATA drive if you need more storage space.

How do you think that would compare to a build with something like this I tossed together on PC Hound.

Pretty much same price but this would be better performance overall wouldn't it? I haven't really looked into the intel NUC's before so a little ignorant on how this range of parts stack up.
 
How do you think that would compare to a build with something like this I tossed together on PC Hound.

Pretty much same price but this would be better performance overall wouldn't it? I haven't really looked into the intel NUC's before so a little ignorant on how this range of parts stack up.
In terms of GPU power, the NUC would actually outperform that DIY setup. However, in terms of CPU power and in games that are more CPU demanding, that DIY setup is better. Also the DIY setup is mostly compatible with your desktop so it should make troubleshooting parts easier should a problem arise. Finally a DIY setup has the potential for a GPU upgrade if you find Steam Streaming lacking.

That DIY setup is a good start. But there are things I would still change:
I can't trust the CX500 after the HardOCP's review of the CX500.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/#.VbL0FflViko

As such, I would recommend this replacement PSU altogether:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032&ignorebbr=1

Unlike the CX750, it actually got a Silver Award from HardOCP:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/07/16/xfx_xtr_550w_power_supply_review#.VbL0ZvlVikp

If you really want to get that console look, check out these cases:
$46 - Silverstone ML05B mITX HTPC Case
$90 - Silverstone RVZ01B Raven Z mITX Case

However, the latter requires (and the former can use if more space is needed) this PSU:
$90 - Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W Modular SFX PSU
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In terms of GPU power, the NUC would actually outperform that DIY setup. However, in terms of CPU power and in games that are more CPU demanding, that DIY setup is better.

Did you mean the other way around? That NUC setup relies only on the Intel HD 6000 integrated into the CPU correct? Which I believe is an i5 whereas my setup was an i3 and a 960 for GPU.

I am leaning towards a custom mini build over the NUC so far, leaves more upgrade options down the road I think. I'll be trading in the 290X sometime this year when I get a 21:9 monitor, so I may just decide to give that card to this system when that happens.

I really hope the steam streaming thing will work out well, but I do have my doubts. In case it doesn't work well I would like this to be best performance by itself if need be. So which route do you think would be best for longer term and performance?

I like the look of that Silverstone case, if I don't go with that it'll be something very similar.
 
Did you mean the other way around? That NUC setup relies only on the Intel HD 6000 integrated into the CPU correct? Which I believe is an i5 whereas my setup was an i3 and a 960 for GPU.
When I looked at that PCHound list, there wasn't a 960 in it but there was that CX500. Just the i3 for the GPU. With that 960, yeah that NUC is completely dominated.

I am leaning towards a custom mini build over the NUC so far, leaves more upgrade options down the road I think. I'll be trading in the 290X sometime this year when I get a 21:9 monitor, so I may just decide to give that card to this system when that happens.

I really hope the steam streaming thing will work out well, but I do have my doubts. In case it doesn't work well I would like this to be best performance by itself if need be. So which route do you think would be best for longer term and performance?
The DIY setup. My experience with Steam Streaming hasn't exactly worked out well hence why I'm so glad I have a spare HD 7770 in my HTPC to handle game duties.

If I were you, I would not get the 960 at first. Try out the onboard video first, see if it handles the job all right, and if it doesn't, then buy a GPU. GTX 960 prices looks like they're going to be stable for quite some time.
I like the look of that Silverstone case, if I don't go with that it'll be something very similar.
Assuming that you're talking about the Raven since it's the only case of the two that can handle a full-sized GPU. There is a higher-end version of the Raven Z:
$128 - Silverstone FTZ01 mITX Case
 
Ah okay, I forgot I had 2 different pages up. I was swapping gpus/psu's on one page and comparing it. I just may hold off on a GPU for now and wait for a good deal since its not completely necessary.
 
Back
Top