• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$600 gaming build

  • Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Guest
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing and light gaming (Mostly, like 99%, WoW gaming)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$600 tax/shipping (Not even sure this will even be possible)
3) Where do you live?
Mississippi
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, hard drive, case, operating system (if this can not be fit in the budget, we have a transferable Windows XP 32bit that can be, but I would rather Windows 7), PSU, keyboard, mouse, monitor (19" - 20" is enough), optical drive, video card
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not reusing any parts
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not afraid to over clock
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19" - 20" in the budget
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
November
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
No special features are needed
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Like I said, we got a Windows XP 32Bit OS that we could use, but I want to try to get Windows 7.


I'm not even sure all that can be fit in a $600 budget, but I've been proven wrong before.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the start, still gotta figure out how to save some money though. Windows 7 is like $100. :(

I also switched that WD drive for the Samsung F3 500GB model, faster + cheaper. :D

This is the new build:

COOLER MASTER Elite - $39.99
- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB - $54.99
- Acer X193WCb Black 19" - $99.99
- ASRock K10N78M-PRO - $51.99
- SAPPHIRE 100289L Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB - $94.99
- AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz - $57.99
Combo:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit + Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
- $195.98

Total shipped: $623.60

Only thing I'm not too fond of is the DDR2 memory. Gonna see if I can't find a cheap AM3 motherboard with DDR3.

Still gotta get a keyboard, mouse, optical drive and psu. :0
 
Very hard to do with 600. With my build im coming in 60 bucks over budget. you will benefit from that one extra core. WoW will only use 2 cores but it depends if your going to run Background items such as Music and what not where that Extra core will be needed. You can skip on the windows 7 until you get more cash it will save 100 bucks to get a keyboard and mouse.

Maybe someone can suggest a Cheaer PSU that can get u through. to make the budget alittle smaller.

With windows 7

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

Acer X193WCb Black 19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009210

ZOTAC ZT-20105-10P GeForce GTS 250 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500135

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

Combo #1
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.547178

Combo #2
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.546483.11-119-203

Grand Total: $660.35

Thats with the use of this Promo code: BTEZZZS32

************************************************************************************

without windows 7

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

Acer X193WCb Black 19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009210

ZOTAC ZT-20105-10P GeForce GTS 250 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500135

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119203


Combo #1
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.547178

Grand Total: $570.36

Thats with the use of this Promo code: BTEZZZS32
 
Last edited:
IS 4GB really worth it for an almost strictly WoW gaming rig?
 
Crap, you edited your post while I was posting too. lol
 
Using the Antec calculator, I'm expected to use 310W of power, that's with a 1GB GTS 250, couldn't find a 512MB GTS 250 in the list.

400W - 80% = 320W

So that would put that 400W PSU right on the edge.
 
I changed the case, memory & PSU. it shaved off about 8 bucks. still over budget. lets see if someone else can do any better
 
Last edited:
Your going to need atleast 3gb of ram for WoW but since there is no 3gb kits 4gb is it. You can shave off a few dollars in each build by around 4 bucks if you go with this PSU

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Promo Code: AN10

I am running 2gb right now and I am playing games like Mw2. Wow does not need that much memory. Trust me. And why is everyone recommending a tricore? Unless he is playing something other than WOW a dual core is all he needs. The build you are proposing is becoming a mid range gaming system capable of playing pretty much every game out there. If he really is on a strict 600 dollar budget you guys are pushing it too far.
 
for just a bit over what I put together I gave him BETTER options of parts. Yes its about 40 bucks more but its a Solid build over yours. Im sorry but 2gb of ram & a dual core for WoW is NOT adequate. you listed him a 5550 thats not even meant for a gaming card. its more of a HTPC card that isnt going to run crap.

Sorry but thats my opinion
 
I believe just a few bucks over $600 will be alright, I just defiantly not closer to $700. Also no need to worry about a keyboard/mouse as one has already been purchased that wasn't included in the budget. (It'll be a Christmas present from me to him)
 
Using the Antec calculator, I'm expected to use 310W of power, that's with a 1GB GTS 250, couldn't find a 512MB GTS 250 in the list.

400W - 80% = 320W

So that would put that 400W PSU right on the edge.
Efficiency does not refer at all to the PSU's output capability. It's simply the difference between what the PSU draws from the wall and how of that power is being converted for use by the PSU. So when they say 80% efficiency, they're talking about how if the PSU is drawing 400W from the wall, 80% of that amount is actually being used by PSU/PC. Get it? The wattage that PSUs are rated for are NOT at the wall.

In any case, the Antec Neo Eco 400C will be enough for that setup. You're looking at no more than 250W at full CPU and GPU load.
 
Nah def need the 4gb, I just did a fresh install few weeks ago with windows 7 64 and 2gb ram, running only wow and vent was getting constant low memory warnings and crashes in city's and such had to upgrade to 4gb
 
Efficiency does not refer at all to the PSU's output capability. It's simply the difference between what the PSU draws from the wall and how of that power is being converted for use by the PSU. So when they say 80% efficiency, they're talking about how if the PSU is drawing 400W from the wall, 80% of that amount is actually being used by PSU/PC. Get it? The wattage that PSUs are rated for are NOT at the wall.

In any case, the Antec Neo Eco 400C will be enough for that setup. You're looking at no more than 250W at full CPU and GPU load.

Oh I get it. I thought that the efficiency rating was how much actual power a PSU could sustain regularly. :eek:

That's the setup I might end up going with. I think I'm gonna wait and purchase the parts on Black Friday, see if I can't swap them out for something a bit cheaper at that time.
 
It will be well worth it. I know its 55 over budget but it will even give you alittle more play for other games if you decide to. really hard to build for 600 bucks without sacrificing Quality wich you dont want to do. dont rely to much on black friday deals. they havent been good at all lately in my opinion

COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.546483.11-119-161

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.547178

GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144262

Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029

ZOTAC ZT-20105-10P GeForce GTS 250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500135

Acer X203HCbd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009218

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

LG Black 22X DVD+R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Total: $655.57 with Promo Code: AN10
 
Last edited:
Right now I'm working at $635.57 and this is my parts list:

LG Black 22X DVD+R - $17.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB - $54.99
Acer X193WCb Black 19" - $99.99
ZOTAC ZT-20105-10P GeForce GTS 250 512MB - $89.99
Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W - $44.99
GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 - $49.99
Combo:AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 + ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 - $118.99
Combo: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit + COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP - $139.98

Total shipped: $635.57

Did I forget something? Can anything else be improved on?
 
kool i noticed my newegg was 20 dollars off for some ODD reason. glad to see that when i added it the build came up to 635.57. I dont see going any cheaper ur going to start sacrificing wich you dont want to do. Id you didnt have to buy Windows or a monitor the build could easily be upped more but It will do what you want & more
 
I PM'd you back, it's because I have a 19" monitor in my build as apposed to the 20" monitor in your build. That's where the price difference is, also that Promo code doesn't do anything. lol
 
I wouldn't even consider that monitor. 1440x900 resolution? 1680x1050 at a minimum, even for just general web browsing and word processing.

I know it's always "just a couple more bucks..." but monitor resolution will affect you every single time you look at your computer, it's not somewhere you want to go ubercheap on. I'd go dual core proc instead of cheaping out on the monitor. My wife's computer is a Core2 Duo and runs Wow+Web+itunes just fine. She can't tri-box like I used to, but it runs 1 instance just fine, and that was with an 8800 and 2GB of RAM.

Also check out the Antec Two Hundred to save a couple more dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129074

Finally, to save $100, you could get the Dell deal on Windows Family Pack upgrade if you can find 2, uh, family members, who are willing to give ya $60 to upgrade to Windows 7.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=39715&lid=1003774

3 upgrade copies of Windows 7 for $119

I'd run Windows XP and upgrade later instead of getting a low-res monitor.
 
The monitor is a bit :meh: but the person who will be using this really wouldn't even care, I think it's a step up in resolution from the laptop that she's replacing.

Should I stick with Windows XP for the initial build, I think I'd rather spend it on something performance wise such as going quad core and/or getting a slightly better video card instead of going with a different monitor. Like I mentioned, the person using it isn't really computer savvy and they can't really miss what they haven't had, per say.
 
Got this system setup and a couple things that I wasn't aware of.

1. The PSU doesn't come with a power cord, they expect you to reuse your old one. Which is a bummer, because the person this was being built for upgraded from a laptop, so they didn't have a power cord. I had to give them one of mine.

2. The video card required one 8 pin connector that the PSU didn't provide. The video card came with an adapter to convert two 6 pin connectors to the 8 pin connector, but the PSU only had one 6 pin connector. I had to steal a 2x molex to 6 pin adapter from my video card (GTX 470) so I can get it setup. Since my PSU on my build included the connectors it needed, I wasn't using it.

Just a FYI, in case anyone plans to build something similar.
 
Yea that's what I was thinking, but too late to send it back so I just made do with what I had. It was for my cousin's girlfriend, so no big deal.
 
Back
Top