$600 Computer Build.

pwnrhasta

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Web browsing, moderate PC Gaming.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$600, tax and shipping included.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

California, Riverside, 92507

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

PSU, CPU, GPU, Ram, Harddrive, Dvd Drive, Case, Motherboard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing any parts.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No overclocking

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I need to purchase one.

21.5inch, 1920x1080.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Soon, ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

None

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes 64bit.

I would also like to purchase a Core i5 quad core CPU.

I am currently looking at a particular monitor to buy. Any thoughts? The monitor is its own separate purchase. The budget is only for the tower.

Link to monitor.

Tower build budget can be stretched to $700 if needed to accommodate a deal that is too good to pass up.

Last edited:
i5 3220, 550w power, Gskill 1600Mhz 8gb ram, western digital caviar blue 1tb, asus drw-24b1st dvd, theres a start for the bases :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8zB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8zB/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8zB/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($50.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FB-03 ATX Mid Tower Case ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $596.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-15 01:11 EDT-0400)

I recommend this setup instead:
$180 - Intel Core i5-3350P CPU
$68 - MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$56 - Crucial CT102464BA1339 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$160 - PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$68 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$43 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
----
$638 shipped plux tax. Should come out to around ~$700 with taxes

Compared to Isun22's build:
- I did not factor in MIR like Isun did since they're not guaranteed discounts IMO.
- You now have a slightly higher quality motherboard at the loss of onboard video capability.
- More room for RAM upgrades due to only one DIMM. Isun recommended a 2 DIMM set with a 2 DIMM motherboard.
- The video card is pretty much what pushed the system the planned $600 budget. However it's a really amazing deal for a fast GPU. One that I do not recommend passing up on if possible.
- Significantly better quality and cooling case. The case that Isun recommended only had a single 80mm fan whereas the case I have recommedned includes one 120mm fan and one 140mm fan.
- Significantly greater storage spacae at the cost of SSD level performance. With that said, considering that the Kingston SSD isn't that good in the first place, the tradeoff of not having it is worth the increase storage space, better cooling case, and better quality motherbroard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys for the input. I will be using Danny's build. It is very well planned IMO. Also I was leaning towards an AMD card over a Nvidia card to due better performance to price ratios.

My one suggestion coming from the above posted list of components would be to go with a 256GB SSD. You will see the price drop for some of them ~ $150.00. 120 GB is fine for a main drive; but if you don't have a backup disk / somewhere to store data you will find yourself looking for space pretty quickly after installing a few games.

Did you need a wireless adapter?

well AMD APU based such as A10-6800k plays games very well for what it is, just an FYI

The A10-6800K's IGP isn't as good as a discrete video card like the HD 7850, especially at a 1920x1080 resolution. Take away the IGP/onboard graphics factor and Intel becomes a much better choice for gaming.

Since the OP can afford a good video card (assuming he goes with Danny Bui's build), I recommend going that route instead.

My one suggestion coming from the above posted list of components would be to go with a 256GB SSD. You will see the price drop for some of them ~ $150.00. 120 GB is fine for a main drive; but if you don't have a backup disk / somewhere to store data you will find yourself looking for space pretty quickly after installing a few games.

An SSD is not a necessity, especially if the OP can't afford one. A good 240GB or larger SSD costs at least $150 whereas a decent 1TB HDD costs around $70.

While an SSD boots up and loads games and programs much faster than an HDD, it doesn't improve game rates as much as a good video card. In this case, it's better to forgo the SSD; the OP can always buy one later.

Where did he say it was a HTPC? He did say "moderate gaming". That sounds like a gaming PC to me.

You're right! I'm helping a friend plan an htpc build. Must have htpc on my mind! Good the OP is going with your build.

Back